Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nameissues Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2006, 05:36 PM
    Monitor not working "No Signal"
    I have a Daewoo HL710S LCD Monitor that is Plug & Play and DDC 1, 2B (whatever that means)

It works fine with a Dell computer running Windows 2000 Professional.

I am now trying to hook it up to a Compaq Evo (D51S) that has Windows XP Professional

All I get is a “No Signal” message on the monitor and then it goes to sleep.

Also, the Compaq does not work with a ViewSonic ViewPanel VG181 (I also get the “no signal” message. But, the Compaq DOES work with another (more recent) monitor.

I have tried:
    1. checking and rechecking and triple checking the power and video connections
    2. resetting the refresh rate to 60 Hz.

HELP!
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 7, 2006, 08:45 AM
    http://www.daewoointernational.ca/monitor/HL710S.shtml

Make sure the max resolution is 1280 x 1024

If this doesn't work, reduce the screen resolution down to 800x600
    Reduce the colour depth to 256 colours

Try this.

Do you get anything whilst the PC is booting?

Does the monitor that works use a different connector?

Aug 7, 2006, 06:47 PM
    Thank you so much for your kind assistance.

I assume the resolution settings are on the CPU, right? (sorry, I am not that computer competent). I will have to take the Compaq to my office where it works with my monitor in order to do the settings. Hopefully what you suggest will do the trick.

When the PC is booting, all I get is a black screen with "no signal" message. Then the monitor shuts off.

The Daewoo monitor uses the 15 point (blue) connector. The at-work monitor with which the Compaq does work uses the other (white) connector. HOWEVER, the VIewsonic monitor (which the Compaq also rejects) has both the blue and white connector options and the Compaq rejects both.
    cheechthecheechy Posts: 41, Reputation: -1

Aug 8, 2006, 02:40 AM
    Make the compact can take both digital and analog monitors, much alike when you have 1 monitor with a digital and analog cable for two puters, so like you press the 'switch' button on your monitor and it switches displays.

Aug 8, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Tried everything suggested below and I still get the "No Signal In" message. This is so frustrating! I don't know if it is cheaper to get a new monitor or to pay for a technician to figure out the problem...

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    http://www.daewoointernational.ca/monitor/HL710S.shtml

Make sure the max resolution is 1280 x 1024

If this doesn't work, reduce the screen resolution down to 800x600
    Reduce the colour depth to 256 colours

Try this.

Do you get anything whilst the pc is booting?

Does the monitor that works use a different connector?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 8, 2006, 11:56 AM
    It sounds like the graphics card on the Compaq PC does not have any output on the blue socket (analogue). I would be tempted to change the graphics card myself. A local PC shop should be able to do this for you relatively cheaply. Would this invalidate the warranty on this PC? Have you spoken to HP/Compaq about this problem?

Normally when you boot, if the graphics card is working it should display the boot process regardless of drivers so it could be faulty on the analogue port.

Speak to HP about this issue, if there is nothing simple to do, I would get a replacement graphics card in that machine.

Aug 8, 2006, 02:00 PM
    I am going to try an adaptor for the white socket -- to see if I can connect the blue connector to the white socket. I know the white socket works -- I now got it working for the ViewSonic monitor which the CPU previously rejected.

The CPU is out of warrantly so HP won't talk to me unless I pay (I already tried calling). So, getting a local technician to replace the card won't impact the warranty. If the adaptor doesn't work, I'll take the computer in.

Thanks again for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Monitor keeps turning off until "warmed up" [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. I'm having an annoying problem with my monitor. Whenever I boot up my computer and enter Windows XP my monitor will keep turning off an on for a minute or two until it is warmed up. It also does this when the computer wakes up from sleep mode. Sometimes it will turn off and I'll have to...

Monitor "standbying" after replacement of fans [ 6 Answers ]

This problem has been solved - solution at the bottom. My PC: Windows XP Home AMD 64 3000+ 1 GB RAM NVIDIA 6800 LE 128 MB Asus K8N motherboard - and I never clock ---------------

Emulate a 14" display on a 17" monitor [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently changed my old 14" computer monitor to a new ViewSonic 17" (16" display) monitor. I design websites and I want to be able to emulate the *actual size* and resolution of a 14" monitor at 800x600 in my new monitor, to see what the rest of the net surfers see when viewing my pages. Is...

View more questions Search