Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 11:14 AM
    finding th diagonal of a unit cell
    I have Cs (169pm) and Cl (167pm) how do I calculate the diagonal of the unit cell for CsCl?

I'm so lost the only thing I can think to do is have d=2(169)+2(167) so d would equal 672.
    Is this right or am I having wishful thinking?
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 29, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Gernald

This seems a chemical question.
    I'm lost here too : what do you mean precisely with unit cell? Please specify.
    Also "169pm" : part per million?
    Also "the diagonal of the unit cell for CsCl"?
    Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 07:10 PM

Yea it's a chemical question
    Pm-picometer
    Unit cell: A unit cell is the smallest unit of a crystal, which, if repeated, could generate the whole crystal.
    The unit cell looks like a square and the diagonal passes through it.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 06:13 AM

I'm a little confused here, what exactly do the numbers refer to? Some kind of bond length?

The actual maths you need to do should be simple pythagoras.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 30, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Gernald

Thanks for the data.
    Sorry, but this is not my strongest subject, so I can only post thoughts...
    Re. the problem of size of the unit cells : you mentioned square, but this is about a cell. So should we not refer to a cube?
    Besides that : in the case of Cs and Cl we deal with atoms, but with CsCl with a molecule, whereby the structure is important for size.

Have a look at this website on the CsCl structure !
    I hope this gives you some idea how to solve the problem.
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    I'm a little confused here, what exactly do the numbers refer to? some kind of bond length?
    The actual maths you need to do should be simple pythagoras.
    Oh sorry, the numbers are the radius of the molecules. And I think you're right pythagoras should do it. And Sarnain yes it is a cube, again I was writing fast and wrote the counterpart of the cube.

Thanks Capuchin for all the help (with everything), I'd rate you, but the site won't let me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Finding people from cell phone number Look ups [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I have metro pcs.and early this year I would say about February my whole phone book was deleted by mistake.and out of the whole list there is about three people I would love to talk to again.even some who as recent two mounths ago.I was wondering if you guys knew anything about getting a call...

Cell phone finding [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to find a lost phone on the internet such as location of where it is at?

Finding Cell Phone Detailed Records on my husband [ 4 Answers ]

He's cheated on me before - swears he is not cheating now but I know better. I need a copy of his cell phone bill to either prove that he isn't or prove that he is. I know, I know, ask him for it. He refuses to show it to me - but I have to see it for myself. How can I get detailed billing...

Finding my boyfriend's whereabouts online through cell [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a way to find a person's whereabouts by keying their cell phone number in on a website? I think my boyfriend is cheating.

View more questions Search