Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 11:22 PM
    Dealer won't return money for car
    So, this is a long story, but here goes.

A friend of mine wanted to buy a car, and located a car out of town. So, he drew up the proper papers, sent the money to the dealership through the proper channels, and the dealership agreed to ship the car to him. A month later, no car. After speaking to the dealership, friend found out that the car was sold to someone else, and the dealership gave him a choice: wait for another car (the one he wanted) to show up, or he'll return the money. This phone conversation was recorded and "witnessed" (the dealer was told that the conversation would be recorded and a witness would be on the line).

Friend opted for the money, so the dealership mailed him a check. Friend deposited the check, and it bounced.

Options, other than suing?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post
    So, this is a long story, but here goes.

A friend of mine wanted to buy a car, and located a car out of town. So, he drew up the proper papers, sent the money to the dealership through the proper channels, and the dealership agreed to ship the car to him. A month later, no car. After speaking to the dealership, friend found out that the car was sold to someone else, and the dealership gave him a choice: wait for another car (the one he wanted) to show up, or he'll return the money. This phone conversation was recorded and "witnessed" (the dealer was told that the conversation would be recorded and a witness would be on the line).

Friend opted for the money, so the dealership mailed him a check. Friend deposited the check, and it bounced.

Options, other than suing?

Depending on the reason for the "bounce" (closed account, insufficient funds, stop on check) it could be a criminal charge. Has your friend asked the Police about that?

I see no options other than pursuing this either civilly (through the Courts) or criminally (through the Police). In some areas - depending on the dealership - the Better Business Bureau gets great results.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2009, 08:26 AM

Have your friend contact the dealership, stating that they can send a money order for the full amount of the bounced check plus any fees charged by his bank due to the check bouncing, otherwise he will file a complaint with the state. If they still refuse to refund his money, you can download a complaint form here:
    georgia.gov - General Complaint Process

Did your friend kept a copy of any and all paperwork? Usually the dealership has forms at hand for the customer to sign; seems shady that they'd accept drafted paperwork.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song that goes, Money, money, money, money? [ 12 Answers ]

Who sings the song that goes something like this... Money, Money,Money, Money?

Can I return a used car back to the dealer? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a used car 7 days ago and so did my girlfriend. The problem is we were only suppose to buy one car. Now I need to get out of my contract. I noticed that when I filled out the credit apllication the sales person told me to leave a section blank(where it asks what my monthly income is....

Auto dealer withholding money [ 21 Answers ]

My mother went to a car auction back in February of this year. She was looking to purchase a car but was told that the auction was only open to those with dealer licenses, not the general public. The lady at the registration desk introduced her to a dealer who she said could help her in purchasing...

Want to return my ex's money [ 7 Answers ]

My ex of 2 yrs (live in relationship)had cheated on me after a distance relationship of about 4 months and I took her back but she cheated again but I was so lost and confused that I wanted to be together again.. after all the tries and some suggestions from this site... I moved on.. so far I have...

Car dealer [ 3 Answers ]

I was thinking of quiting my job as a produce manager and try my hand at selling cars at a local dealership. They say they will train me and give me 4000 dollars up front after I finish the training program. How much do you usually make selling a car and what if I go a week without selling...

View more questions Search