Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peterblair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Heat Pump - Payne
    Hi. I sent a request to Carrier regarding my question but they want to send a service rep. instead of answering my question. I have a one year old heat pump that was added to my medium efficiency furnace. I live in Canada, West Coast, and the heat pump will now not continually provide cool air. It seems to take a break at least daily, usually during the hottest part of the day, where the fan on the outside unit will stop running and the inside unit will only provide circulation of existing air. I have found that on occasion I can get it to cool again by shutting it off for about an hour but by then it seems the house gets too hot for it to cool down properly. My wife insists on having a set bact to 66 at night from the 72 I have it set a during the day so there is quite an expected load at night but this problem usually happens prior to the set back time.
    Regards, Peter
    calvincchen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peterblair
    Hi. I sent a request to Carrier regarding my question but they want to send a service rep. instead of answering my question. I have a one year old heat pump that was added to my medium effeciency furnace. I live in Canada, West Coast, and the heat pump will now not continually provide cool air. It seems to take a break at least daily, usually during the hottest part of the day, where the fan on the outside unit will stop running and the inside unit will only provide circulation of existing air. I have found that on occassion I can get it to cool again by shutting it off for about an hour but by then it seems the house gets too hot for it to cool down properly. My wife insists on haveing a set bact to 66 at night from the 72 I have it set a during the day so there is quite an expected load at night but this problem usually happens prior to the set back time.
    Regards, Peter
    Hi, Peter,

I bought a Payne/Carrier model: PA13NR060000ACAA, a 5 ton unit. It has similar problem. I wonder have you got your problem resolved? If you do resolve your problem, can you provide me information how to get it resolved?
    Thanks.
    During hot days, at around noon time, my house was at 78 degree when I set the temperature to 74 degree, and the unit kept pumping all afternoon and at around 7:00pm. It either did not drop one degree or just 1 degree. I called the service people and they kept telling me diffferent causes and never able to fix the problem. This year I had the problem since July 12. It is September 4 now.

Around the first year, I had two problems. First, the unit completely shut down and the
    Service people said the power switch was loose and they restarted. But a few months later, it blew only worm air and the service people said free-on is low, so they added.
    But a year later (July 12 of 2008), it blew warm air again. This time, they said there is a leak in compressor and they replace the defective compressor outdoor. After that date, I noticed that my air conditioner behave exactly like what you metioned:
    "the heat pump will now not continually provide cool air. It seems to take a break at least daily, usually during the hottest part of the day, where the fan on the outside unit will stop running and the inside unit will only provide circulation of existing air. I have found that on occassion I can get it to cool again by shutting it off for about an hour but by then it seems the house gets too hot for it to cool down properly. My wife insists on haveing a set bact to 66 at night from the 72 I have it set a during the day so there is quite an expected load at night but this problem usually happens prior to the set back time"
    peterblair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 12:31 PM
    [QUOTE=calvincchen]Hi, Peter,

I bought a Payne/Carrier model: PA13NR060000ACAA, a 5 ton unit. It has similar problem. I wonder have you got your problem resolved? If you do resolve your problem, can you provide me information how to get it resolved?
    Thanks.
    During hot days, at around noon time, my house was at 78 degree when I set the temperature to 74 degree, and the unit kept pumping all afternoon and at around 7:00pm. It either did not drop one degree or just 1 degree. I called the service people and they kept telling me diffferent causes and never able to fix the problem. This year I had the problem since July 12. It is September 4 now.

Around the first year, I had two problems. First, the unit completely shut down and the
    Service people said the power switch was loose and they restarted. But a few months later, it blew only worm air and the service people said free-on is low, so they added.
    But a year later (July 12 of 2008), it blew warm air again. This time, they said there is a leak in compressor and they replace the defective compressor outdoor. After that date, I noticed that my air conditioner behave exactly like what you metioned:
    "the heat pump will now not continually provide cool air. It seems to take a break at least daily, usually during the hottest part of the day, where the fan on the outside unit will stop running and the inside unit will only provide circulation of existing air. I have found that on occassion I can get it to cool again by shutting it off for about an hour but by then it seems the house gets too hot for it to cool down properly. My wife insists on haveing a set bact to 66 at night from the 72 I have it set a during the day so there is quite an expected load at night but this problem usually happens prior to the set back time"[/Greetings. Unfortunately I can not provide much help. Here in BC we have had a hotter summer than they year we installed the heat pump. This year there has been no repeat of the situation. All seems to be working properly??

Peter]
    JayInGA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2010, 07:23 PM
    My heat pump was doing the same thing. A friend of mine told me the bearings in the outside fan was probably bad. If you are outside when the cooling stops and hear it lock up and stop cooling, its probably the same problem I had. I bought the fan from a "appliance part store" who said they wouldn't warranty the fan $150 unless I bought a new capacitor with it $25. I put it on and it worked. But now I am having a problem with the heat. I cut on the heat and it makes a super loud sound similar to "a car with disk brakes with a worn completely down pad but amplified 25 times." Not sure what the problem is now but I got to get it fixed before winter sets in. I have kids in the house and don't need them here freezing.
    jeffydiver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2011, 06:36 PM
    Well, looking over these questions they all have one thing in common, lack of performance. If the air handlers are variable speed motors, you have to make sure the return air has the proper static pressure drop or the heat will run right through the coil without transferring into the R-410a gas. A good way I found out was by using paper towels across the return air grille. With a digital thermometer in the Plenum (supply), I could watch the temperature give lower readings, the more I covered the grilles, the lower the outlet register temperature.

Another way is to trim the outlet dampers on the Supply ducts so it slows the air flow down, this will lower outlet temperatures too !

I hope that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump transformer [ 3 Answers ]

Where is the transformer and what does it look like and how can I tell if it is bad?

Loud Heat Pump [ 3 Answers ]

Hello- Our neighbors have installed a heat pump recently much to our dismay. It’s located on the side of there house which is only about 5 feet from our living room wall. Needless to say, the sound is coming straight into our living room. It’s a constant buzzing noise. Any ideas how we can...

Heat pump question [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and we have a lennox heat pump unit. It has been very hot here recently averaging about 90+ and I have noticed that during the day my heat pump seems to run almost continuously with the tstat set at 74. It will cut off once and a while but its usually only for about 5-10...

Heat Pump? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had someone install a brand new 98% eff. Furnace with a 13 seer a/c. They offered to put a dual fuel heat pump in for $2000.00. My gas bills are still a little higher than I would like and I wanted to know if a dual fuel heat pump is really worth the extra money and if it would save me...

Heat Pump [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Lennox heat pump. My builder was required to put one in per our neighborhood association. However, he set the thermostat so that it would never kick on because he thought I would like the hotter air provided by the gas furnace. I was thinking with the price of gas on the rise the heat...

View more questions Search