Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darrellk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 11:40 AM
    Length of time to request a validation of debt
    I looked at my credit report recently and saw a couple of negative items on my report. I sent the collection agencies a request for validation the debt. They responded back that it was past the 30 days that I was allowed to respond and that they will keep contacting me about the debt and keep it on my credit reports until it is paid. My question is can I still send them the validation letters and are they legally bound to reply accordingly according to the FDCA? Or am I stuck?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 02:47 PM

The company is correct.

You had 30 days from the date they sent out notification of the debt to request validation.

They are not required to produce such a document now unless they sue you, then you can require it as proof when you go to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt Validation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I sent a validation letter over a month ago to a law firm which said I had 30 days to respond to their debt that they stated I owed. Well, it has been over 30 days and all I have received from them was a letter stating they received my original debt validation letter, and nothing...

Question #2 Debt Validation: Should I wait out and old debt? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Concerning the Debt Validation / Verification process: If a debt is due to expire (over 7 years old) in a couple of months, is it better to validate /verify it; or wait it out and then get it removed - that is, will the act of verifying the debt renew the life of the debt if it is proved...

View more questions Search