Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kasskass10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Should I take prenatal pills?
    I had a miscarriage the first time I was pregnant because I didn't have enough iron in my body. I am now pregnant again but I have been eating a lot better because this time it was a planned pregnancy. Should I still take prenatal pills?
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jan 28, 2009, 10:56 AM

Always they are so good for you and your baby, plus they help make your nails stronger, the pills are extreamly good for you and your baby.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 11:21 AM
    I always recommend that women of childbearing years, pregnant or not, take prenatal vitamins. You see, they contain folic acid. Folic acid prevents neural tube defects in the baby. Many of these defects are caused even before a woman knows she is pregnant and they are irreversible.

Some miscarriages are caused by neural tube defects.

So, if you are not taking prenatals now, please start as soon as possible.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 28, 2009, 01:10 PM

J_9 is absolutely correct.

Being a planned pregnancy, I'm surprised you weren't already on them. I highly advise getting them as soon as possible.
    Rolly_Pollie Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2009, 05:43 PM

Absolutely! Prenatal vitamins are supplements for all of the nutrients you are giving to your baby. No matter how well you eat, baby gets all of the nutrients! Which is a good thing...
    Aaand be sure to take them while breastfeeding as well

If you have had issues with iron in the first pregnancy, stock up on the ultra green veggies and leaves(spinach, broccoli) and the super deep red and blue fruits and veggies(beats, blueberries) these will help with the little extra iron you may need.

I have been anemic my whole life, and the one time it was not an issue for me, was during my pregnancy! Lol. Go figure.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 06:28 PM

Eating healthy or not... you still need these vitamins and your prenatal visits to the doctor.

You can't solely rely on health food to have a healthy pregnancy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prenatal vitamins [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... my mother has been taking prenatal vitamins for about a month or two... she is not pregnant but her doctor said it's a good vitamin to take.. she is 44 or 45 years old... and as time went on with her taking them she stopped getting her period... and she has been getting chest pains... she...

Prenatal [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a site where you can download or watch videos on breathing techniques and something that tells you all about labour stages and etc? Only because I want to do it form home instead of going to classes. Well at least try it.

Prenatal vitamins [ 1 Answers ]

I bought prenatal vitamins. Does this helps me get pregnant faster? what can I do if this is not working? I want to get pregnant before the year ends..

Adricted to diet pills and over the counter pills [ 5 Answers ]

:o I have for the past 4 years been adicted to dietr pills and over the counter pills I even take more then I need toi have tried to stop before but just couldn't stop. I want to stop and I want to get better but I don't know how I can stop with out help but I don't want to sign myself into a...

View more questions Search