Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Clarence Larkin Charts
    What do people think of these?

Clarence Larkin Charts

Some of the charts can be accessed through the links near the bottom.

I really like them, and I think things like this are a really neat way of illustrating history and I wish more people did things like this.

(for those of us who like a slight bit of irony, I like the advertisement of "A College Education in one Volumn!") :o

I have no idea how well this relates to most people's view of christianity, do these charts fit well with your beliefs?

I'm honestly interested in your thoughts.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 11:52 AM

For whatever it's worth, I find them to be downright silly, and not at all useful. But, then, he kind of lost me with the "7000 Years of Human History". 7000?
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 02:13 PM

I disagree with the way dispensationalist re-arrange Divine Ordering of the Kingdom of God so that the Catholic Church is unrecognized, and to justify their own view of “little Churches.”

JoeT
    adam7gur Posts: 372, Reputation: 38

Jan 28, 2009, 11:46 PM

I find this interesting and worth of studying.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oak8by6
    disagrees: in jesus eyes ther is one church not many ,the bible says there is jew gentile and the body of christ,which are all believeing christians
    Could you please explain? Your comment is not clear.

How many different bodies are there? What do you think Christ meant when he prayed, "And not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me. That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me." John 17

Where is it written that an indiviual that believes means to be a Church? Doesn't each faith, such as Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, etc all have different tenets and different dogmatic truths? If so could can they all be right at the same time? Or is truth subject, a little different for the Baptis, somewhat the same for the Lutheran, and a maybe for Methodist?

There is but One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church; the one Christ commissioned
    JoeT
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 10:22 PM
    I found them to be interesting from the author's point of view at the time they were drawn up.
    The trouble with the sturdy of biblical prophesy is that there are so many different was to interpret it. An example is much in the book of Revelation has long ago come to pass but so many still believe that it has not regardless of what history tells us.
    For instance 666 (Nero) and what he did is long gone.
    There are other more modern points on view that are also interesting.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 11:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam7gur00
    disagrees: Please Joe,do not turn this subject into a church,denomination etc. ...... fight!

That's rich Adam, a hand full of pages with dribbled ink, having the reasoning of a bigot, that call's the mother of God the **** of Babylon, the Holy Church of Jesus Christ an apostate Church, and you don't want me to turn this “into a church, denomination etc….. fight”? Wow, just think of the intelect that went into this? What do you use for brains if you don't think this would be offensive to a Catholic, reconstituted oatmeal?

About the only thing you got right is that it is disagreeable.

JoeT

Feb 25, 2009, 12:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    ... that call’s the mother of God the **** of Babylon, the Holy Church of Jesus Christ an apostate Church, .
    Joe
    If someone calls the mother of our Lord the way you describe it,I hope you know by now that I reject that,but where did you see this and the other about the Holy Church on this thread here?
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 12:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam7gur View Post
    Joe
    If someone calls the mother of our Lord the way you describe it,I hope you know by now that I reject that,but where did you see this and the other about the Holy Church on this thread here?
    Maybe you should read the presented material in the opening post. Follow the links.

Feb 25, 2009, 12:13 AM

I did Joe but I only went through the charts and not the entire site and there is nothing in the charts.
    Maybe you can help me.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam7gur View Post
    I did Joe but I only went through the charts and not the entire site and there is nothing in the charts.
    Maybe you can help me.
    The entire underlying premise of dispensationalism is to reject the existence of the early Catholic Church to validate its own claims as “church”. This is an example from the webpage referenced:

“…That means that after the "True Church" (the Bride of Christ) is taken out of the world the "False" or "Papal Church" (the bride of Antichrist) will remain, and the professing body of Christians (having the "form of Godliness without the power") left behind, will largely enter the Papal Church, and it will become the Universal Church. But this will continue for only a short time for the "Ten Kings" of the "Federated Kingdom, " finding their power curtailed by the "Papal System" will "hate The Whore, " and strip her of her gorgeous apparel, confiscate her wealth (eat her flesh) and burn her churches and cathedrals with fire” (from the webpage of the Preserved Words, page titled Dispensational Truth XXIV Babylon the Great)

"WOMAN" is seen at this stage riding the "Beast." For while the "Scarlet Clothed Woman" … for she represents the "PAPAL CHURCH" that comes into power … No doubt the "Papal Church" will play a prominent part in those proceedings. She will be rewarded by restoration to political power, and this union of Church and State, in which the Church will have control, is shown by the WOMAN riding the Beast, thus dominating it. But when the "Ten Kings" shall receive their Kingdoms and be CROWNED, they "shall hate the WHORE, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire." (Vs. 16.) (from the webpage of the Preserved Words, page titled Dispensational Truth XIX Babylon the Great)

See also, chart - 'The Church'

Consequently, what we see is a biased evaluation of those very same Scriptures the Catholic Church spent 2,000 years protecting. Distorted views such as these must, above all other truths, attack the authority of the Catholic faith, in spite of the fact that it was commissioned by Christ and promised to prevail against the gates of hell. These views must either claim the Catholic Church never existed or that it became apostate, in spite of Christ's promise.

But, you've got to ask yourself, especially if you hold to sola scriptura, that if Scriptures show Christ selecting the princes of the new Church, commissioning the new Church, appointing a leader of a new Church, and protecting it for eternity with his promise, how then could it become apostate shortly after the Ascension? If not, then you've got to believe that truth is not absolute, that God meant for each of us to have a separate and subjective truth. An absolute truth won't support multiple faiths in Christ. As there is only one cosmic Truth there can only be one correct faith, Catholic.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 10:11 PM
    Adam,
    What I saw is clearly anti-Catholic.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    But, you've got to ask yourself, especially if you hold to sola scriptura, that if Scriptures show Christ selecting the princes of the new Church, commissioning the new Church, appointing a leader of a new Church, and protecting it for eternity with his promise, how then could it become apostate shortly after the Ascension? If not, then you've got to believe that truth is not absolute, that God meant for each of us to have a separate and subjective truth. An absolute truth won't support multiple faiths in Christ. As there is only one cosmic Truth there can only be one correct faith, Catholic.
    I don't see anything in scripture saying that any denomination was created by Jesus. It fact it seems to me that you are trying to do exactly what you complain about, put down anyone who is not a member of your denomination, and any denomination other than your own.

Further, this seems pretty much like a hijack of the thread also.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 10:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    What do people think of these?

Clarence Larkin Charts

Some of the charts can be accessed through the links near the bottom.

I really like them, and i think things like this are a really neat way of illustrating history and I wish more people did things like this.

(for those of us who like a slight bit of irony, i like the advertisement of "A College Education in one Volumn!") :o

I have no idea how well this relates to most people's view of christianity, do these charts fit well with your beliefs?

I'm honestly interested in your thoughts.
    I don't agree with everything in them, but I think that these type of charts can be useful in helping people who learn visually to better understand what scripture teaches.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 07:01 AM

UPDATE!!!

Hi all, thanks for your thoughts so far, I have been reading with intrigue.

I have recently found a similar resource:

Welcome to biblediagrams.com

I wonder what your thoughts on this are? I find the diagrams a bit harder to understand, probably because of the extra detail. However they seem to be charting out the stories in the bible more literally, with less interpretation than the Larkin charts.

Any thoughts?

I like them, especially the 2000 year timeline.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 07:32 AM
    UPDATE!!!

Hi all, thanks for your thoughts so far, I have been reading with intrigue.

I have recently found a similar resource:

Welcome to biblediagrams.com

I wonder what your thoughts on this are? I find the diagrams a bit harder to understand, probably because of the extra detail. However they seem to be charting out the stories in the bible more literally, with less interpretation than the Larkin charts.

Any thoughts?

Personally, I think that the previous ones are more effective. I idea of diagrams works best when the diagram in an of itself, with minimal explanation puts across a certain impression or idea of what is happening, which combined with a verbal presentation of the details is quite effective. The level of detail in some of these may be good for some people, but may limit their effectiveness for a wider audience.

The one value of a diagram like this might be to place events in the Bible on a timeline. For someone studying a specific book as part of their personal Bible study, an approach like this might provide some help in placing things in a chronological sequence.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 05:03 PM
    Capuchin,
    The time line of events is interesting.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 09:52 AM
    I found them interesting also. There are a few things I disagree with. One example is that the chart shows the Gospels being written in an order different from Catholic Tradition. Another example is where the author chose to start the Western Popes. There are more issues, but thus far nothing I wouldn’t expect.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 09:24 PM
    JoeT777
    Same here.
    Fred
    MaryS777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
    I think theyr great for studys along with dake charts, I find the Doc Gosey

http://clearvisionbiblestudies.com/gosey/index.html

Chart a lot easier to understant and they have books to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Off the charts [ 2 Answers ]

Actual writings on hospital charts: 1. She has no rigors or shaking chills, but her husband states she was very hot in bed last night. 2. Patient has chest pain if she lies on her left side for over a year. 3. On the second day the knee was better, and on the third day it disappeared. 4. The...

Using d2 value from Control charts [ 0 Answers ]

I have only one observation per sample The tables give values starting at 2, I am having this doubt what is the value I should use. I have used n=2 for calculating the things. The only reason being it is closest to 1 (my value for n) for my situation is this correct. I am having times for...

Sign Industry Wind Load Charts, Sign Section Modulus Charts [ 0 Answers ]

Recently I've been designing commercial electrical signs. Signs of the type that are on tall poles, or the big pylons and monuments you see in shopping centers, roadsides, etc. lit by neon and/or fluorescent lighting. In order to properly choose the size of poles, and the depth and diameters of...

View more questions Search