Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 08:37 AM
    External Hard drive not working properly
    Hello there!

Can anyone help me figure this out? :confused:

I recently bought a brand new external drive. Transcend storejet25c 500G.
    I verified it at the store and it works just fine.

My laptop is an HP2500 pavilion, vista home premium.

Well, my problem is that it sometimes works fine and other times not.
    What I meant by fine is that I could see the external drive.
    But there's a 'not responding' sign on it - on and off.
    I've transferred some of my files on it. But I'm having difficulty because of the interruption. And I would normally would have to restart the PC again and again OR check the connection to the usb ports to check if it would re appear.

So, its not being detected?

I've already used the 'y' usb ports for this external drive because the instruction tells me that if it doesn't run on 1, use 2.

Please help. I'm going crazy here.

Thanks a bunch! :)
    loopy123 Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2009, 03:44 PM
    Unfortunately vista is renown problems such as yours, all I can suggest is search for new drivers on the web.
    DemonsofRazgriz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 02:01 AM

I don't think it is a problem limited to Vista, I recently got a new Hitachi HDD, and I have exactly the same problem, only difference is I have two PCs, one Vista, one XP, both of them is doing the same thing. Checking for driver updates would be the only thing I suggest, also related drivers like USB and all.
    Larry55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 04:01 AM

Most of the time what happened to this is that the PC is not supplying enough current to the hard disk. You can see that the lights on the harddisk doesn't come up normally.

You might try to get an external powersupply to the hdd.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a western digital 500 gb external hard drive with only one usb port and no firewire. I have two other external hard drives with firewire and usb ports. I need to transfer data from the two old external hard drives to the new western digital external hard drive. Could there be any...

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I am running a HP A1657C PC,I would like to purchase a external hard drive about 160 gig can you advice which one would be right for me. I want to back up c drive and at present only using about 30 gig but want room to expand. Thanks for reading this and any info you can offer Alan

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

What up, I just purchased a new PC and I would like to know if I upload all my music and pictures on the PC, will I be able to transfer all info to an external hard drive if I purchase one months down the road? Appreciate the help and Happy Holidays to all!

Need a non-USB external hard drive [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to utilize an old (read: OLD) Thinkpad to play .mp3's on my home stereo. Problem is, the laptop doesn't have a USB port. Are there (ok, were there) ext h-d's that weren't USB dependent, or do I need to find a USB flash card?

View more questions Search