Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eleven22 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 08:50 PM
    Central Hvac unit blows cold air on heat.
    My furnace will turn on and blow cold air at times. When I notice it I can turn it off on the thermostat and then turn it back on check the furnace and it lights up and blows hot air. I have also just pulled the panel off the furnace to trip the switch on it and then put the panel back on and the heat starts up again. It seems to be an intermittent problem on self start up.

Any ideas?
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 27, 2009, 08:54 PM

Clean the flame sensor. Start with that.

Jan 27, 2009, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    Clean the flame sensor. Start with that.

OK I just cleaned it afterwards, I put the panel back on and sure enough no flame. I took the panel back off then popped it back on and it lit up and is blowing now. Guess I'll find out if it stays that way.

Jan 27, 2009, 09:39 PM

So it got to the desired temp and the heat cut off, but the blower continued to run. I turned the thermostat to the off position and the blower kept going , finally I had to pull the panel off. It turned off I put the panel back on and then flipped the switch on the thermostat to the heat position. I'm now waiting ofr it to get cold enough to kick back on so I can see if it does it again. Is it possible that the thermostat is the problem? How can I check?

Jan 28, 2009, 01:16 AM

OK so I went out a bought a thermostat just for the heck of it. And just as I thought it did nothing for the situation.

Basically the gas starts up and stays on until the house is warmed up to my desired temp. Then the heat goes off and the fan stays on. I cannot turn it off from the thermostat. I have a Tran X330935P01 furnace. I believe I do not have a fan control switch , I have a Control board. I'm starting to lean towards that piece as my problem , however If someone could tell me how to trouble shoot it that would be great. I did short the white to red and got the gas to start and I did the green to red and got the fan to turn on. Neither showed any problems. I also took off the flame sensor and lightly sanded it down with very fine graded sandpaper. It was very clean to begin with. So I do not know if there is something else I should be looking at or not. Just looking for some help here if anyone has another lead to look at.

Jan 28, 2009, 10:19 AM

So this morning I woke up set the desired temp on the themostat, turned to power on to the unit and the unit kicked on and heated the house. Again the house warmed up to the temp desired and the gas cut off , however the fan still stayed on. So I again cut the power off to the unit. After 30 min or so, I went to turn on the heater again, I turn off the thermostat to the off position went to turn the power to the unit back on , and the fan just kicked on and started on. The gas would not ignite , I figure because the fan is on and the control board blinked 5 times which according to the board there is no gas turning on. I believe the blinking has to do with the fan turning as I am lead to believe it will not ignite if the fan is turning. So I turned off the furnace took off the leads from the thermostat and then powered it back on, the fans immediately came back on again.

So now the fans run constantly and the gas will not turn on.

Any clues?

Jan 28, 2009, 11:25 AM

OK so before I go out and buy a new board, I have been doing some research and I found a thermal limit switch it looks like this:

Is there a way to test this ? Can I bridge the two cables running to it? Anyone?

Jan 28, 2009, 07:06 PM

I ended up trouble shooting it to the furnace control board.

Thanks everyone , I must say this is one lively forum. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating/AC Unit Blows COOL air only (not hot or cold) [ 4 Answers ]

Please help! We're hosting Thanksgiving dinner for family & the heater in my basement does not blow hot air at all. The hetaing unit blows cool air only. I switched to A/C and it also blows cool air only. Any suggestions prior to calling repairman? In the spirit of Thanksgiving my cold...

Air blows cold then stops but unit is still running [ 5 Answers ]

Our ac will be working great and then all of a sudden stop blowing cold air, room temperature air will blow instead which heats the house up quick. If we turn the unit off for an hour or two it normally starts to blow cold air again once it's back on. We've checked to see if the unit if frozen...

Central heat blows cold air [ 13 Answers ]

We have a central ac/heat system by amana(modBMA42F10A).. ac works great.. Heat blows cold air... used last year and worked fine.. seems like heat coils are not turning on... I took them out cleaned and checked them for continuity.. put them back.. Temp limit sensor was dirty... (cleaned it...

Central Heat/blows cold air in unit downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

\ Our heating unit (central) is blowing cold air. This is only occurring in downstairs unit. There are 2 separate units in the home. Any ideas on what to do before calling an expert? The HVAC unit is all electric. It is set to Auto. We had problems with the A/C where you gad to set the...

View more questions Search