Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KayGates Posts: 95, Reputation: 5

Jan 27, 2009, 07:28 PM
    How do I teach my 11 week old puppy to ask me when to go outside?
    Half the time she goes when I take her out. It is winter, so sometimes she just whines at my feet when I take her out. I don't know exactly what to do.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 08:31 PM

Just keep doing what you're doing, take her out when she whines and around 10 minutes after a meal or drink.

She's still young, most dogs can't hold it or tell you they have to go until around 4 months of age. That doesn't mean you can't start training now, just don't be too worried that she won't learn, she's still pretty young.

Enjoy your pup.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jan 27, 2009, 11:29 PM

Doxies (if that is your baby in question in the pic) are notoriously hard to housebreak. Just keep taking her out, often, especially after meals like Alty said after she eats, and after every nap. If she doesn't got then, give her a few more minutes and then try again. If you see her sniffing or circling snatch her up and bring her out. Vigilance is the key!
    KayGates Posts: 95, Reputation: 5

Jan 28, 2009, 11:34 PM

Yeah, when I was young my mother had a few and never fully housetrained them. NIGHTMARE. Well this little girly is my responsibility and I want her to be a happy, well balanced dog. So I should take her out if she is whining, no matter what?

And sometimes if I just get home she won't go to the bathroom right away. I think she is just too excited. She won't go in her crate, and she holds it for a long time. Should I just put her back in her crate until she calms down and then take her out?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 06:22 PM
    See the housebreaking section of the sticky at the top of the forum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

4 week old puppy [ 4 Answers ]

I just visited my breeder. I put a deposit down on a male saluki dog. He will be 5 weeks tomorrow. He came from a litter of 4 (all males). In comparison to all other 3 brothers he was the least active. He shook a lot and wanted to sleep, while the others were very playful with tails pointing...

5 week old puppy [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 week old puppy who has bad fleas, I have no money for flea meds. What can I use at home?:(

How can I teach my puppy to not jump up? Chew everything? [ 19 Answers ]

I have a puppy that is about 3 months old. He took well to the housetraining and biting now he goes out side to potty and doesn't go inside at all. Also he was biting and we got him to soften his bites very well so he is a good learner... The problem now is his jumping! He jumps all over us and...

Can you keep a 7 week old lab puppy outside? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you keep a little lab puppy that is 7 weeks old outside

New 7 week old puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Lynne. I am brand new to this site as of tonight. My question is... I just bought a 7 week old baby Chihuahua today and I was sent home with a small bottle of Albon for a possible case of Coccida in her. The breeder I bought her from said she "may" have it, but wasn't sure. I have...

View more questions Search