Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vinay1978 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Moving expenses deduction
    I have a question with respect to my tax return for 2008. Following is my situation:
    1) I moved from India to USA in Jan2008 and worked full time for CompanyA
    2) In Mar2008, I switched employers and worked full time for the rest of the year for CompanyB
    3) My wife moved to USA to stay with me from March2008

I would like to know if I can claim the moving expenses deduction for 2008.

If yes, I have two questions:
    1) What would be the Rupee to Dollar conversion rate that would be applied? Would it be the conversion rate in Jan2008 (time at which tickets were purchased) or the current conversion rate?
    2) I do not have bills for any of the moving expenses like air tickets, lodging after arriving in USA, bill for the computer I bought, etc. Is it possible to claim moving expenses deduction under these circumstances?

Thank you very much for your time.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 12:20 AM

You may not be eligible to claim moving expenses from India to the U.S. as you worked for Company A for short period. You should check more about this.
    You may claim for moving from A to B if you plan to stick with B.
    You can claim moving expenses if you meet the requirements, read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Moving Expenses

Jan 28, 2009, 09:20 AM

Thank you very much for your response.

Should the bills for moving expense be attached to the tax returns?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Do NOT attach the bills for the move to your return. If the costs are reasonable, they will not normally be questions. Keep the bills in case the IRS questions the costs.

In my opinion, you CAN claim the moving expenses from India to the work place for Company A, because your job change was NOT anticipated.

Use the conversion rate at the time the expense was incurred. There are several websites that provide historical conversions rates for as far back as 20 years.

Jan 29, 2009, 02:58 PM

Thank you very much for your response. Since I do not have bills for any of the moving expenses, I will not be claiming moving expenses.

1) I have an apartment and an empty site in India, for which I have been paying principal and interest in 2008. Is it possible to enter these amounts (principal AND interest) under house mortgage costs in form 1040?
    2) My wife does not have an SSN, but my son does. Is it possible for us to get the stimulus package refund, which I believe is $1500?
    3) Is it possible to deduct internet charges as deduction?
    4) Is it possible to deduct car buying cost?

Thanks again for your time.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 03:30 PM
    1) you CAN claim these expenses, but it likely will NOT exceed the $10,900 standard deduction.

2) Only if you file without your wife. Her ITIN will invalidate any Recovery Rebate.

3 & 4) Negative.

Jan 31, 2009, 11:23 PM
    Thanks again for your time.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel expenses deduction F1 to H1B [ 4 Answers ]

I was doing my OPT during 2005, until June 30 when my F1 visa expired. The employer sponsored me and I had to go back home in July to get my H1B and returned to the US on October 1st, to start working again. Can I deduct the airfare for going back home and get my visa? Can I deduct some visa fees...

H1B visa expenses and tax deduction [ 3 Answers ]

I am staying in US for over 5 years. Hi I worked for a start up company in 2007 on H1B. I had to pay the lawyer fee for the H1B processing and the same got repeated for the University that I am working for later on during the year. I also went to India for H1B stamping. The question is:...

Relocation expenses deduction [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved from MA to CA for a new job in 2006. I was on H1 whole of 2006 and will be filing as a resident. My employer gave me 3000$ as relocation assistance, which is not shown on my W2. However on my salary slip it says I was given $5000 and after tax, I guess, it became $3000. Can I claim...

Tax deduction for expenses overseas [ 3 Answers ]

Further to my question on the 29th of Dec. 2008. My accountant in the USA, who is not an international tax expert, has been deducting expenses I incur while working in the UK to lower my taxable foreign income in the USA (Deducting the expenses as I am working away from home). I will work a total...

Regarding moving expenses deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I am filing tax returns as "Married Filing Jointly" - 1040. I got married in Feb 2007. I was working remotely from India for my client for the months of February and March 2007. And my wife came from India to US in June 2007 on H4 dependent visa. I was wondering if my trip to India...

View more questions Search