Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haladay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 02:22 PM
    1099 and retired missionaries
    We have some retired missionaries that we give to on a monthly basis. Do we send them a 1099 or a 1099R? One of the retired missionaries (ordained pastor) had a problem with the IRS and had to present his case that the money he received from us was not taxable. They finally agreed. We had been submitting a 1099, but it was suggested a 1099R. Is this correct? And if so, what code is used. I have been unable to find any information and do not have an accountant to consult with. Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 03:04 PM

First "who are you" a private individual, or a church group.

Is this money not considered a donation of some sort for them ?

Or is this retirement money your church is paying them?
    haladay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 08:23 AM

We are a church. This is considered "retirement" money, as in, the church is continuing to support them voluntarily, but is not through a "retirement" fund.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 08:18 AM
    Since it is not being done through a retirement fund, and since it is being done voluntarily, it is NOT a pension in thelegal sense, but rather a gift or donation to the individual.

For this reason, it is neither taxable to the recipient not tax deductible to the giver. If the amount exceed $13,000 annually, there MAY be a gift tax implication.

Strongly recommend you seek out the expertise of a local tax professional with experience in pension work and gift/estate tax issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retired Military Pay [ 2 Answers ]

What is the time frame (in years) for filing an appeal in order to attach retired military pay that is due an ex-spouse?

Retired with creditors [ 3 Answers ]

I am retired woth soc sec and union pension, can creditors attach my funds from these accounts?

Retired? [ 7 Answers ]

This is funny too. ________________________________ ________________________________ What do retired people do all day?? Well , for example , the other day my wife and I wentinto town and went into a shop. We were only there for about 5 minutes. We came out , there was a cop writing out a...

Already Retired. [ 1 Answers ]

What catch-up general advice would you give someone (moneywise),who is retired, if that person missed the boat on investing, and , or attaining an IRA... but he is getting a pension ?

View more questions Search