Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    augusta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Deed transfer
    My father is in the process of transferring the deed of a house to me. Is refinancing necessary?:eek:
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 5, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Yes, it is necessary to refinance. In reality you are purchasing the property, so the existing mortgage loan must be paid off so that the lien can be released. You can obtain a mortgage loan in your own name and use that to pay off the existing loan. The deed transfer can be done at the time you close on the new mortgage.

I suggest that you have this handled by a real estate attorney or title insurance company in your area.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 5, 2006, 03:06 PM
    Lisa is correct, because such a transfer could trigger the Due on Sale Clause, provided that the lender is made aware that such a transfer has taken place. As long as the payments are made on time and you don't call them informing them of the change in ownership, you might skate by. Some Conventional loans do have a provision for assumption of the debt by a subsequent borrower, with qualifying. FHA loans can be assumed (with qualifying) by an owner occupant at a charge of about $500 + title fees. VA loans can be assumed (with qualifying) by an owner occupant or by a non occupant borrower at a charge of 1/2% VA Funding Fee + title charges. Check the papers on the loan to see what is permitted. If the rate on that loan is lower than prevailing rates, that might be the way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My name is not on the deed, what now? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I plan on retaining an attorney as soon as I get the funds, but in the meantime, I have questions! We have been married for 4 years, together for a total of 12 years. First thing is our home. We bought it from his mother, no contract-just verbal. My husband took out a mortgage on it...

Correct Deed Needed to Transfer Names [ 7 Answers ]

We live in Texas and I recently married and we are trying to change the deed currently on file. My husband and his mom are on the deed to the property we are living on. This property is fully paid for so there is no lien on it. Which deed would be the correct one to use to take off his mom's...

Name on deed [ 3 Answers ]

What do I have to do to put my sons name on the deed to my house

Deed [ 1 Answers ]

My question is: I bought a house about 6 years ago when I was a single mom. Recently I got married and have NOT put my husbands name on the deed. Now my question is, if I decide to divorce him does he have any rights to my house?

View more questions Search