Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gorzul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2006, 07:09 AM
    Puppy Urinates When Touched!
    :mad: I've had this pomeranian puppy for about 7 months, he's around 9 months old.
    I tried potty training him to no avail for about 4-5 months.
    I tried everythign in the book. Yelling NO when he did it in the house, to poiting his nose in it while saying NO, to putting him in a tight box for a few hours, where he was supposed to hold it and didn't. Had **** all over himself a few minutes later and didn't seem to mind it.

I gave up on that an decided to have him live outside in our yard, where it's been better, at least when that is concerned.
    All the problems mentioned here, I have.
    He eats his own poop even though I feed him well and so on.

But the worst problem of all which is really frustrating is that 99% of the time, as soon as someone touches him or plays with him, he gets excited and pisses all over us and himself. Even though he gets a lot of attention all the time.
    I can hardly ever call on him or touch him without him pissing. Sometimes when called he'l come and piss on the way. Leaving a trail.

Again I tried everything, and he won't stop doing that.

Please help if you've had this experience. I'm running out of ideas. Thanks.
    faith25 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Hi there,

Puppies are challenging. The one thing that worked for me was, every time my pup peed or pooped in the house, I would pick her up and take her outside, I wouldn't scolled her at all. One reason was because I never caught her doing it, dogs don't remember what they did 2 minutes ago. When I took her outside I used the word "go pee" put her in the spot I wanted her to go to the washroom in. She got the hang of it, especially after sleeping the night through, and as soon as I woke up I kept repeating the words in the house as I walked to the door "gotta go pee" and when she finally reached outside she was so relieved. I had my puppy housetrained by the age of 2 and a half months, and she has not gone to the washroom in the house since.

As for your dog eating his poop, it may be because your pup isn't getting certain nutrients, the food you are feeding him may be good for other dogs but may not be good for your pup.

As for the pee thing, some dogs have this problem, which you can't do much about, but because you say it happends all the time, almost like its an actual day to day problem, I would take your pup to the vet. This may be a blatter problem or even more serious than that.

Hope this helps

Faith
    gorzul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2006, 02:57 PM
    well it's not even that I mean it's like he has a bladder problem, he doesn't go randomly. Only when I call him over or touch him does he pee.
    When I call him we'll run over, and just as he's about to get to me he'll slow down spread his legs and piss leaving a trail..
    When you get him excited it's fountains of pee.
    we'll be running around me or sitting on the ground by my feet, but the moment I touch him he lets go a river of pee.
    Sometimes I'll try to get him excited for a while to get all that pee out of him, but ot doesn't end, yet he's so tiny.. I don't get it I really don't.
    I had a buddy a few years ago who used to tell me about the same thing. The dog won't pee with anyone just the master. If the master touches him he pees.
    How to curb his enthusiasm?
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Aug 8, 2006, 03:40 AM
    Take him to the vets and have him checked out. He could have a weak bladder or he is extremely excitable. It isn't easy raising a puppy. So far everything that you have tried is obviously not working. Time to call in the professionals. Good luck.
    cheechthecheechy Posts: 41, Reputation: -1

Aug 8, 2006, 03:45 AM
    well I think a 9 month old puppy would know how to control its pee.

2 possibilites

1) the puppy hates you, or is trying to show something by pissing on purpose. Could be pissing to mark its territory, every single cm of it. =P

2) the puppy has some phsycal problem. Probably should go to the vet. Has it been desexed? Maybe this bladder problem has got something to do with that... maybe uber excited or turned on?

sorry if this may seam a bit irratic but I am saying eveyrthing on my mind.

good luck!
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Aug 9, 2006, 10:12 PM
    A lot of puppies pee when they are excited, they loose control at that moment... like when the owner walks in the door or is being pet. It is normal for some puppies. But I would ask the vet to tell you how to control it. I believe it is a whole different issue than basic potty taining. Potty training is when a dog has control... with this excitement bladder, there is no control so I would suggest no punishment until you talk to the vet. And if it is a fear thing, you don't want to be punishing him as that might make it worse...

My dog had that really bad when he was puppy and the vet said he should outgrow it... but still, at 8 years old... if I pet him when I first walk in the door, he will dribble... so as long as I don't pet him until he has calmed down, he is fine... so it is really minimal... but it is a normal thing they usually outgrow... talk to the vet...
    Trixiesperson Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 01:14 AM
    I agree about not giving any affection until the animal is calm. Try making the dog sit when he gets to you instead of petting him immediately. As for the poo eating, I read somewhere that dogs naturally eat feces. The best way to deal with it is to clean it up right away so that they aren't tempted. Sometimes you just can't train these things out of them, so you have to help them by making it easier.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

May 11, 2008, 06:25 PM
    I can hear the frustration in your original question about the puppy's urination problems. I totally agree with the person above who said that the housesoiling and the urinating when touched are two different problems, yet I think they are related.
    Go back and read your original post, with an open mind and from the puppy's perspective. Any time the pup had an accident in the house, there was a negative consequence. Not knowing exactly what he had done wrong, he knew he had displeased the pack leader. (This doesn't make you a bad owner, just sounds like you got some really lousy housebreaking advice).
    In dog society, if you are approached by an angry dog who holds a higher social status than you, the proper thing to do is to roll over and urinate to show submission. THis should have the effect of appeasing the leader. ("What we have here is a failure to communicate"). Since the puppy is even more confused about why the human pack members don't appreciate his efforts, he just pees all the more.
    Try the things recommended above--wait until the dog is calm and you are on his level--don't bend over to greet him, just sit down nearby and ignore him until he comes to you voluntarily. Then speak in a soft voice so he knows his behavior is acceptable. If he still pees a little, ignore it. Don't scold but don't reinforce it by saying something like "that's okay", either.
    Once you have the submissive urination problem under control you may find that you can start the housetraining process all over again, from scratch. There are some good articles on this site that tell you how to do this in a positive manner. You have an extra benefit going for you now that you didn't have before--the puppy is used to eliminating outdoors now, and probably will prefer the outdoor textures to carpet or tile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy won't eat [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 13 week old Dachshund and Monday she started acting like she wasn't feeling well, by this morning she hadn't eaten or drank anything so I took her to the vet. They put 150cc's of fluid subcutaneously and gave her a shot of antibiotic, the thought was she may have a bladder infection...

Help with puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old male shih tzu, and just brought home a 3 month old female shih tzu. My male keeps on trying to mount the female. Can he hurt her by doing this?

6 month old malteserolls on her back and urinates [ 2 Answers ]

Every time l enter the room and greet my 6 month old pup she rolls over on her back with enjoyment and urinates. Any ideas why she does this?

Puppy wants in and out, in and out [ 4 Answers ]

I take my now 9 week old puppy to work with me every day. I've had him since he was 5 weeks old so he is somewhat house trained already, and my office building is actually a house so there is a yard. My puppy will go to the door and whine when he wants to go out, which I know should be good. BUT,...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

View more questions Search