Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mrs2b Posts: 57, Reputation: -3

Feb 2, 2009, 06:43 AM

Its NOT rude here...

No american's are invited... so everyone won't find this tacky as its what we do here...
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Feb 2, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs2b View Post
    Mum offered to pay for most it.. as we were going to. But she wants to help me out seeing as my father isnt here to help.
    Its very traditional were i come from and the daughters family WILL pay for the wedding...

Maybe conselling is good. althou we spoke to a priest as part of the pre wedding plans.

So because he didnt tell his sister off for moaning to me about wedding decissions.. is that not sticking up for me?

he said - he wud tell her if she brings it up to him!

I dont no
    You keep bringing up tradition. Tradition is, the brides family pays for everything for the wedding whether both parents are present or not. It is NOT tradition for the bride to ask the grooms family to help pay or to ask for money from them. They either offer or they don't. As for his sister talking to you about wedding decisions, somewhere on this post you said she lives in a different country, so maybe to her she wasn't being rude she might have been offering an idea or trying to help. You keep bringing up cultural differences so maybe there was one between the two of you. I have lived with my fiancé for 3 years and I have learned when it comes to inlaws you need to stand up for yourself and NOT send your partner to deal with yours and the sister inlaws arguments anytime someone disagrees with you. Now if the sister in law is disrespecting you, treating you poorly for no reason, you try to fix the situation on your own with no luck, and it is starting to become a huge strain on the relationship, then you speak to your partner about it. But if his sister was just offering what she thought was a good idea or thought she was helping with the plans, but you didn't like it or can't afford it, it doesn't mean she's doing it to piss you off. Just nicely tell her "thats a great idea, but we do not have the funds for that." That gives her the window to offer to pay for whatever idea she came up with or to just say "oh okay." When it comes to his family or anyone else for that matter, wanting to discuss wedding decisions with you or offer anything, they should do it through you. The wedding is mostly for the bride, men most of the time don't care. They usually just agree with what the bride wants anyway so there really is no point in dragging your partner into what you and his sister are discussing about the wedding.

As for asking for money, I have never seen that in an invitation before. I have seen invitations with a registry (where the bride and groom pick out what they want and the guests go and buy it). I would never ask for money in an invitation. I am also from the U.S and I think it is rude and tacky, but you say it's in the norm where you live so, if it's normal then go for it. We aren't asking for anything since we already have our house and everything we need so we aren't even going to bother doing a registry. If family/friends ask us what we want/need we tell them nothing or we just say something small (depends how close the family and friends are). I see no reason to expect anything from family and friends, especially ones I have not seen in years. They bring us something that's great, if not, it does not bother me in the least. It's nice just to get everyone we haven't seen in a long time together for a happy event, catch up and enjoy ourselves. Some people turn weddings into such a huge event with too many obligations that it's a chore to even go. You shouldn't even care about who brings you what or if they give you money or pay for anything, you should just enjoy the day where everyone is witnessing a joyous event.

Feb 3, 2009, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the insight..

Although I think you would have to be really silly asking for nothing on your wedding day as a gift... to me it's the only day were you can do such this...

Its not point getting to facts whether its tacky or not... its not here so that's it...
    I have a friend who is getting married 2 months before me and she is doing the same.. she is giving 2 opinions on the invite - gifts or monetary...
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Just curious... Where are you from?
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Feb 3, 2009, 09:45 AM
    thanks for the insight..

[B]although i think you would have to be really silly asking for nothing on your wedding day as a gift... to me its the only day were u can do such this...[/B]

Its not point getting to facts whether its tacky or not... its not here so that's it....
    I have a friend who is gettin married 2 months before me and she is doing the same.. she is giving 2 opinions on the invite - gifts or monetary...
    I guess this is where you and I are two very very different people. I think it's really silly that you feel your wedding day is basically a day to tell people what gifts to give you when that is not the point of having a ceremony. I'm not having my wedding just so I can ask people to buy me things or give me money,I am having my wedding because we want our family and friends to witness the two of us becoming one, sharing our vows, sharing the day with us, etc... I always thought that was what a wedding is about, not about having a "special" day where I can tell people what to buy me or give me. I would rather my focus being on the love of my life, my family, friends, and the whole event, not worry about who paid for what, who offered what, who brought a gift, who gave money...

Feb 4, 2009, 01:30 AM

I feel like I'm being judged here...
    And I don't like it...

No one here know's anything about me. Of course I want family and friends to come to our ceremony to celebrate our love.

Its not only about the gifts or money, far from it.. However I don't need any more advice here..

Thanks
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 4, 2009, 07:19 AM
    I feel like im being judged here....
    and i dont like it.....

No one here know's anything about me. Ofcourse i want family and friends to come to our ceremony to celebrate our love.

Its not only about the gifts or money, far from it.. However i dont need any more advice here..

Thanks
    You came here and asked for advice. That is what you were given. You only wanted to hear the things you agreed with. Just because you didn't agree with what was said, it was no reason to get snippy and rude to the others. Of course no one here knows anything about you, other than what you have told us, so don't get angry with us because we don't know what you haven't told us. We are only going on what you HAVE told us, and therefore we gave advice based on that. You got an attitude right away, and that only tells me that you know the way you are handling things are worth getting defensive over. This to me seems like the wedding is more important than the actual "marriage," which should be your first and foremost concern. It's not about the "loot" you can take away, and dictate what your guests give you. Put your energy into your marriage, and not one day of people showering you with gifts.

Feb 4, 2009, 07:22 AM

Excuse me, I never asked for opinions whether asking for money on invite is tacky, did I?
    And where was I rude to others??

Im putting a lot of energy in the wedding mianly because I am married to my husband.. we been married 5 yrs but never had the finances to celebrate a wedding reception and honeymoon...

But OK, I admit I didn't say that earlier but everyone quickly jumped to conclusions.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 09:24 AM

If you want answers based on YOUR particular situation, then you'd better describe YOUR situation fully.

You didn't. I stand by my "jumped to" conclusions that I based on what you DID say here.

No, you didn't ask for opinions on whether money on invites was rude or not---but YOU brought that up.

Honestly--you asked for advice when you came here, and here's my advice: Grow up, little girl. Your wedding day isn't about what you get, and it's CERTAINLY not someone else's obligation to pay for it.

If I were part of your husband's family, and you'd been MARRIED for 5 years already, there's no way in HELL I'd chip in for a wedding so that you could play princess for a day.

Feb 4, 2009, 09:27 AM

Hahaha :D
    Take a chill pill mate
    Jesus!!

You judgemental person!

Feb 4, 2009, 12:19 PM

Gang up on me that's fine...

All you are all doing is dissing me and my choices but frankly I don't care!

Feb 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post

If I were part of your husband's family, and you'd been MARRIED for 5 years already, there's no way in HELL I'd chip in for a wedding so that you could play princess for a day.
    So fricking what!
    A girl is allowed to feel like a princess for that day..
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 12:26 PM

Yes... but not at someone ELSE'S expense.

You can be a princess any time you like. Just don't EXPECT someone else to pay for it, and don't be upset with them when they won't.

Feb 4, 2009, 12:30 PM

Who's expense?

Its me my husband and my mother who are paying for the whole wedding!
    And my mum offered..

I don't understand where u see I'm wrong
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Hi everyone. i am new here and seeking advice....

I have asked my partner to speak to mum and sister if they would be happy to help financially seeing as i dont have to dad to pay for it all..He always seems unsure about that.. coming up with excuses saying they dont have alot of money... which i dont believe. I have known his family for over 10 years. His mum travels 4 times a year and his sister isnt doing bad for her self....

Why do you think he gets all weird when i ask him?
    He never likes to ask or confront his family...
    You ask "At who's expense?" The point of your original post was that you wanted your husband to ask his mother and sister for money.

You asked for our advice. We gave freely of our time in order to offer honest opinions regarding your situation. Rather than thank us for our attempt to help you, you became incensed when we did not agree with you.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 12:39 PM

The financial situation of your in-laws is of no consequence. Tradition states that the bride's family pays.

Yes, I think it would be offensive if you asked his family to pay for your wedding.

I spent a couple years in China where they would have a "signing of the marriage license" and then save - sometimes for years - for an actual wedding. The one thing is, THEY save for the wedding, not their families.

You are a grown up. You're an adult. You shouldn't expect other people to pay for your wedding. If your Mother wants to help, wonderful. But your brother shouldn't be paying for YOUR wedding.

Ask for gifts if you want, but just like Synn, I would tend to get nothing, or the exact opposite of what you asked for.

You should feel like a princess on your day, but at your age and status, you should pay for your princess-ness.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 4, 2009, 01:42 PM
    who's expense?

its me my husband and my mother who are paying for the whole wedding!!
    And my mum offered..

I dont understand where u see im wrong
    Didn't you say you've already been married for five years? I'm sure I've read that. Why now do you expect all of these people to shower you with gifts? You are basically re-newing your vows! In a case like this, no one should even be expected to bring a gift period, let alone have to foot the bill because you missed your "day!"

Feb 5, 2009, 01:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwoodhull View Post
    You ask "At who's expense?" The point of your original post was that you wanted your husband to ask his mother and sister for money.
    His sister told me that she thinks it is fine asking for money on the invite...

The wedding is paid for, as I previously said by ME, my husband, my mum and my brother offered to put an X amount also... I know assuming is wrong, but I thought his mum would WANT to maybe put in a small amount of money to help, maybe towards the cake?

But seems like that is too much to ask for!

Feb 5, 2009, 01:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick View Post

You should feel like a princess on your day, but at your age and status, you should pay for your princess-ness.
    I already said I am.
    I am NOT asking his mum to pay for all the weddin - I haven't even spoken to her... But as respect for her own son (my partner) I assumed she would want to help, but she NEVER offers

Feb 5, 2009, 01:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    Didn't you say you've already been married for five years? I'm sure I've read that. Why now do you expect all of these people to shower you with gifts? You are basically re-newing your vows! In a case like this, no one should even be expected to bring a gift period, let alone have to foot the bill because you missed your "day!"
    For your information starbuck8 - you don't know the circumstances we got married under 5 years ago, which I don't think I should go into detail about. But there we NO reception NO gifts and NO people just my immiadate family and his... It was quite a sad day for me ( for a very good reason) so now feel I am ready to celebrate this with my family and friends - I have all the right NOW to celebrate our love and marriage, where people can enjoy an expensive wedding (which again WE are paying for) and shower us with gifts!

Our small wedding 5 years ago was a sad time for us.. and now I am ready to celebrate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Plans for court house wedding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi!my name is toya i'm about to get married next month. I only have low income. Of course we are having a court house wedding, but what else can help us out like where to get dress, where to get suite, where to get rings.as well what can we do after wards i plan to have something att my house.so i...

My fiancŽ called off the wedding just the day before the Wedding [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I dated my Ex-( not used to say that yet) Fiancé for about 3 years. He always had issue with making decisions( any) and commitment( something in his childhood) but he knew clearly that I wanted marriage. When I brought up the topic, he freaked out and we had a lot of arguments over it as I...

Court House Wedding or Back Yard Wedding? [ 18 Answers ]

We are on a limited budget as far as our wedding goes. We want to spend more money on the rings and honeymoon than the wedding. So, we want something intimate and special but small. So these were the two options that we were thinking: 1. A small ceremony in his parent's backyard. There...

Bi-cultural wedding/wedding tips in general [ 2 Answers ]

The couple: taiwanese, vietnamese, born and raised in America (both still very cultured, first generation) Or any other type of bi-cultural wedding. Family that can't fly here? Friends? Alcohol? Bride's family pays? Groom's family attending? Hotel?

Wedding Attire for 5 P.M. Wedding [ 3 Answers ]

What is the appropriate attire for a middle-age women at a 5 pm wedding and a 6 p.m. reception?

View more questions Search