Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 09:49 PM
    Source for Oil Burner Parts?
    I have a Silent Korth Model TD-1 oil burner manufactured by Eckhart Manufacturing of Roselle N.J. (1940/50s vintage). One of the porcelain insulators on the ignition transformer terminal posts has failed and there is arcing all over the place. Anyone know a source for replacement parts or transformers?

I've looked at Allanson transformers, but the post locations and orientations aren't a match. Their closest model is a CAT 421 TYPE 104E but the terminals need to be rotated 90 degrees to be inline with the mounting slots.

I'm currently without heat.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 03:11 AM
    On units that old you will probably need to adapt any ignition transformer and electrodes you will need for a replacement. A good oil heating supply house is your best bet for parts and hopefully there is one near your location so you can take the old parts with you for a match up and any adapter plate you might need for the transformer base etc.
    Hardware Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 11:57 AM
    I inquired with a couple local places yesterday and had them all scratching their heads. Awaiting callbacks.

If I have to fabricate something, other questions come to mind:
    • What material are the busbars made of?

My current ones are approx. 1/8" diameter, uninsulated, and not brass. They have a press fit butterfly clip arrangement at the transformer and have a loose fit into a hole in the end of brass hex stock of the electrode assembly. At least one needs a remake as it is very close to the fuel tube if it isn't installed just so.

• When purchasing a transformer, would converting to an ignition cable arrangement be of any benefit or possible?

I could tap the electrode's assembly's hex stock for a stud and use cable with crimped cages on each end. But, I don't know how hot the interior of the burner tube gets or whether the cable is affected by oil.

• The electrode tips should be pointed and located slightly ahead of the nozzle at the edge of the cone of oil spray, yes?

Mine are rounded like a piece of used welding rod, and slightly behind the nose of the nozzle.

Jan 27, 2009, 12:21 PM
    If Crown does not show it you might try to call them.

Here is a Crown catalogue. If crown does not have a way to fix or adapt to what you need you are out of luck. They have busbars in 1/8th threaded or not,transformer terminal assortments, and everything else you could possibly need.

http://www.crownengineering.com/docu...%20Catalog.pdf

Main web site

Home Page
    Hardware Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 01:40 PM
    Thanks. Crown was final piece. Solution consists of:

BT series replacement transformer from Allanson.
    Busbars, busbar rams horn clips, and ceramic rope from Crown.
    Electrodes from Westwood.

Jan 27, 2009, 01:49 PM
    I new you would figure it out. I have worked on many old burners in my time and if you look long enough you can usually find the parts. When you get it together post back on the settings and if you can post a pick of the completed assembly since that will give me an idea of what kind of spinner/support it has and that could determine the set back/gap of the electrodes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm Looking For a Good online source to purchase auto parts [ 3 Answers ]

About a week ago I bumped into this great site that showed me the list price of various parts and compared it with various makers's prices. Can anyone give me a website that will do this other than amazon.com?

Open Source [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if there are some specific software engineering models for open source. This would help in my reseach. How does open source model differ from spiral model for example? And what are the existing open source quality assurance models/standards. Thank you :)

View more questions Search