Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dookiss2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Jan 26, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Rooster/cold weather
    How cold of weather can a chicken or rooster withstand?
    salamander5 Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

Feb 2, 2009, 02:43 PM

I have chickens and they can usually stand up to around 10-15 degrees. My roosters' combs usually get frost-bitten though if the weather is that cold.
    chicagostarbaby Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 04:45 PM

I have had Roosters, Chickens, Snow Geese, Guinea's, Pheasants, Ducks, Peacocks, over 1000, in chicken houses, corn cribs, some caged together, all of which, had at least 8 [or more] light bulbs heating the air to a point where they cuddled together for warmth under them, 10 to 30 below, in the worst winters. Yes they can die from exposure, but usually it would be the young ones, so you must make sure they get heated lamps in their enclosure. The water feeders must have electirc warmers, or you will be changing their frozen water dishes often and that in and of itself, is so important. Add a couple drops of iodine into their water to fight off germs protect them from getting sick-JUST A COUPLE DROPS! Consult a current "FARMER'S ALMANAC", for great tips and hints for care, as it is a reliable source we used as our "BIBLE" of information, for all our livestick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump and cold weather [ 18 Answers ]

I have a couple of questions about a heat pump. I guess I need to do a little explaining first. I have an American Standard air exchanger heat pump with electrical resistance backup. The system has the original mechanical thermostat with separate contacts for the compressor and for the...

Can't get the key out in cold weather - 95 Accord [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX (84K miles). I have a peculiar problem in very cold weather: I can't get the key out of the ignition when I the car in Park. :mad: None of the gear lights glow up even though the gear is clearly in Park position. If I wait just a minute or two (sometimes...

02 tracker stalls after 1 my in cold weather [ 1 Answers ]

I suspect the fuel filter. How do I find and change it?

Cold weather pouring a basement [ 1 Answers ]

We are going to try and pour a basement in the next two weeks and tempertures are going to be in the low 30s day and low 20s at night. Is that going to be a problem or should I wait until spring which would really mess up the schedule

Working on cold weather [ 4 Answers ]

Hi: Even when this question is not related to aviation technical issues, I'd like to ask to any A&P mechanic who have worked in cold weather conditions (24°F-35°F aprox) outside of a hangar, about what clothes are good to keep me warm enough to handle the cold when the job is outdoors,and at the...

View more questions Search