Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmb3h Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Father Asks mother for child support when mother has no money
    My mother got re-married and had my little brother with this man. He is now 10, I'm 15 and my sister is 17. (Our father pays child support but not on a regular basis, you can't depend on it)

About 3 years ago they separated and got a divorce. We had custody of him. Then my brothers father filed for custody. We were barely able to afford a lawyer and because 1 piece of paper did not get signed, my mothers witnesses did not get to testify and my brothers father got on the stand and, to put it frankly, lied his off! My brothers father was awarded custody of my brother. At the time we were living with her parents. We now live in our own apartment, me my sister and my mother. My brother comes over every 1st, 3rd, and 5th, weekend of the month.

And, somehow we have managed to stay afloat. Today my mother was issued papers saying that my brothers father was asking for child support. CHILD SUPPORT? He has a job that allows him to support himself, my brother, and all his bills. When we had custody of him his father paid child support because we needed it. We have no lawyer, no money for a lawyer, barely enough money to make rent. We were going to file for custody to try to get him back, but again, no money. They are having a conference (CSRP Child Support Review Process) Next Thursday. 2/5/09. At 10:00 am

We have no money and if he somehow gets us to pay child support, we will likely have no where to live

Please gimme some advice. We don't know what to do.:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 04:00 PM

And if he has custody of the child he is suppose to be getting child support, that is the state law. It is based by income. Why would not the non custody parent not suppose to pay a share. I a sorry but of course she is suppose to have to pay a proper amount
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And if he has custody of the child he is suppose to be getting child support, that is the state law. It is based by income. Why would not the non custody parent not suppose to pay a share. I a sorry but of course she is suppose to have to pay a proper amount

Absolutely agree with FrChuck. The non-custodial parent is responsible for paying child support in every State. The amount to be paid is based on income and, in some States, expenses, so your mother would take ALL of her financial information to the Hearing and the Court will evaluate the circumstances.

This is one of those posts that makes me sad - you at your age should not have to be dealing with or worrying about this. I'm not patronizing you - your mother is very lucky to have you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can my mother sue my father for 18 years of child support? [ 12 Answers ]

I had just found my father after 19 years . When I was born my mother asked him if he wanted to hold her son and he said I wasn't his but held me anyway. Then my mother moved from Texas (where I was born) to Illinois, where I lived my entire life not knowing who he was. My mother lookied for him...

Father paying child support to mother when daughter lives with dad's grandparents [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I don't know what to do he has a 15 year old daughter who lives with my husband's parents, she been living with them since 1994 when child services gave temporary custody to my husbands mom until the mom felt ready to get custody back. My husband didn't have the custody because he...

Father pays child support, but mother wants more? [ 8 Answers ]

My cousin lives in NY and mother of his child lives in NJ. He pays $550 a month in child support but she wants more. He makes around 550-650 a week after taxes, but is afraid he will lose everything if chil support amount is raise. It might sound like a lie but he barly surviving because NY is...

View more questions Search