Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkilb_06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 02:04 PM
    How to get red out of hair
    Hi. I had my hair black for a few months and then decided to change it. I tried to have it stripped and that didn't work so the only quick option was bleach. The bleach worked and trurned it an ugly orange color. We died it brown on top of that but now it is a reddish-brown color that I hate. Also, it is very damaged and looks terrible! What do I do?
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jan 26, 2009, 02:12 PM

I would go get it professionally done too much dye can rune your hair, that's what my mom did and now all her hair is falling out, so you should see a professional hair dresser
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 02:13 PM

If you hair is severely damaged, and remembeer you have only one scalp and one head of hair, you should just get it cut as short as you can possibly manage and let the healthy hair return, along with healthy hair folicles and scalp.

That is the best advice I can offer as a great head of hair is a woman's crowning glory as far as I am concerned; a definite beauty asset.

I always look after mine and have a good head of hair.

And if you see Judy KT's member avatar, then that is a great head of hair and I bet she keeps it safe.
    nikkilb_06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 02:34 PM

Thanks guys! The thing is just that I had already got 3 inches cut off and it is still unhealthy. Also, the red is completely unbearable to me because my hair is curly and I feel like carrot-top! I have heard that ash colors will counteract the red. Does anyone know if that is true?
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 03:29 PM

I wouldn't put ash on top, you will be mauve or purple for sure ! Also, red is the hardest colour to keep in. I use copper blonde by LOreal and it fades out in about a couple of months back to my blond colour.

Good luck niiki
    cuuuupcake Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 04:59 PM

I'm a hair stylist, so hopefully I can help you. :)

When it comes to having damaged hair, use conditioning treatments. You can get a treatment done professionally at a salon, or you can buy your own and do it yourself. My favorite salon-based brand is Kerastase. They have specific conditioning treatments for your curly hair as well. They work just like a normal conditioner, but are more intense and you leave them on longer. If you got the treatment done at a salon, they'd most likely put you under the dryer for awhile with the treatment still on your hair.

As far as the color goes, I can tell you exactly what to do but it would still be best to go to a salon and let a professional handle it. We don't just open up a box of color and that's that. We have many, many dyes we can mix together for the exact color you're looking for.

Red is the hardest color to strip out of your hair because it has the largest molecules, but, green cancels out red. (That doesn't mean you need to slap on green dye.) If you're buying your own dye, I can tell you that most to all of them will be red-based. Especially the browns. And no, you don't want to use an ash-based color. Ash is blue-based, and if you add blue to red, you get purple. ;)

Let me know if you have more questions, but all in all, I'd suggest going to a nice salon and letting them take care of you. :)
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 05:11 PM

Hi cupcake, yes some good advice but why over-process hair ? Why not let the OP grow it out and go to her natural hair colour, maybe some gentle hair colour down the road. So you are a hair stylist and you work in a specific area, it isn't like the OP can visit your area and have her hair done, so why push it ?
    cuuuupcake Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Sure, she could definitely just grow her hair out. I'm not pushing her going to a salon for my sake, merely for hers. I know how much education and training hair stylists have to go through, so I'm letting her know that going to a salon would be the easiest answer. :)
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jan 26, 2009, 08:34 PM

Try going to a beauty supply( We have Sally's in Kansas) and asking someone there to help you choose a semi permanent color with a green base to counteract the red. A semi permanent color is very gentle and will not over process your hair. This may not "remove" the red, but should make it more bearable until your hair has had some time to restrengthen. And, definitely use a reconstructing treatment, I'd say twice a week to rebuild the protein in your hair.
    lane2117 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 02:04 PM
    You can use a Grey coulor from wella it cuts out the red, but keep a check on it, it only takes 5 to 10 minutes to process. Your blonde will turn grey if you don't get it out before the 10 minutes, your hair is a lot stronger than you think it is, use reddken extream conditioner. And get some panthanol it comes in a spray you can get it at walmart use this every day it is a leave in conditioner.

Someone that has had the same problem
    Bealbinn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 02:49 PM
    I'd a similar problem, from blonde with 4inch black roots to processed blonde all over, to a brown that turned it red frizzy copper coloured top and dreadful condition. However, I couldn't leave it and used L'Oreal Exellence natural iced brown 5.15, it was even on sale!! It turned out so well, it did condition my hair. It is mostly a nice rich brown colour and the red covered, just a slight hint in certain lights. I think it's just a pigment of the colourant anyway. The biggest advantage is this colour has given my hair a real shine! I've even been able to straighten my hair, it's in way better condition than before and everyone has complimented me on it. If you've thick longish hair you will probably need 2 packets of hair colour, I did. I also use a conditioner for brunettes from schwartzkopf to keep the brown strong.

I hope this works for you, it is so scary when you've dreadful hair and afraid to do anything with it. If you hair, like mine is quite dark, you can keep letting your hair grow as near as possible to its own colour for a while until it strengthens, just using the conditioner for brunettes. Take your vitamins and omega 3s.

That's what I've done, maybe you can take something from it. GOOD LUCK XX.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I tone down or remove a semi permanent red hair dye over bleach blonde hair? [ 3 Answers ]

I am at my wits end! I had my hair professionally frosted about two months ago. I like the blonde, with my dark hair roots, but I wanted to add some red low lights with the blonde streaking throughout. However, I did not get the results I wanted. Now I have dark roots, and a multi blonde/red...

Hair folical body hair vs hair on head [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have had testing done for a while I tested positive from hair from my head although I did not use. I then tested from my body hair and came back negative. The head hair was 90 to 100 days back and the body test was back almost twelve months. I wish to find out which is the more definitive...

Is it safe to have 3 lots of hair dye in 1month to try and rectify hair disaster? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I posted yesterday, with no replies yet. Basically. I have got long hair which is dark brown (dyed) base and I had bleached blonde panels. I then wanted the panels red which my colourist did and it looiked great but after just 1 wash all the red had practically gone and I was left with...

Black hair to lighter hair.this is a long story, take heed first time dyers! [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, here goes. I'm not a professional hair colourist, but I am a long standing veteran of home hair colour - I've had my hair all colours, all lengths, all styles and at the moment it's jet black. I've broken all the cardinal rules of hair colouring, and I can safely say that it's too much of a...

How do I make my hair go back to natural or lighter hair colour? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm from australia and a couple of days ago I dyed my hair to a permanent intense dark brown but it went to dark I would really like it to go lighter or back to my natural hair colour which is a light brown with a bit of blonde. I have been striping for the past few days is there anything I could...

View more questions Search