Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bandb Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Heil unit won't ignite
    What is the most likely cause of this inducer motor comes on but unit won't ignite model #pgaa36d1k3
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Typical operating sequence (some slight variations of timing are likely): 1) Inducer starts and pressure switch engages, 20-35 seconds. 2) First ignition trial begins, ignitor is powered and glows, 17-34 seconds. 3) Gas control is powered and main burners ignite, furnace pre-heats, 20-35 seconds. 4) Blower starts and runs for duration of heating cycle. Compare this to what you observe (eyes and ears) and post back. Also, look for a blinking diagnostic LED.

Jan 26, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    Typical operating sequence (some slight variations of timing are likely): 1) Inducer starts and pressure switch engages, 20-35 seconds. 2) First ignition trial begins, ignitor is powered and glows, 17-34 seconds. 3) Gas control is powered and main burners ignite, furnace pre-heats, 20-35 seconds. 4) Blower starts and runs for duration of heating cycle. Compare this to what you observe (eyes and ears) and post back. Also, look for a blinking diagnostic LED.
    Does not have led light we replaced the gas valve that was not it replaced rollout switch nope not that either replaced control board now nothing there were serveral burnt spots on the board could the pressure switch be the problem since the inducer motor was coming on before and now its not
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 03:40 PM
    The burned spots indicate a problem with the old board, but if you have less operation now than before, double-check the board wiring before the Magic Smoke is released from it. Once it escapes, it can't be put back, and another board will be on the to-do list. The pressure switch may have been the problem before, and the parts you have replaced already may not have been the problem at all.

Jan 26, 2009, 03:51 PM
    The burned spots indicate a problem with the old board, but if you have less operation now than before, double-check the board wiring before the Magic Smoke is released from it. Once it escapes, it can't be put back, and another board will be on the to-do list. The pressure switch may have been the problem before, and the parts you have replaced already may not have been the problem at all.
    It was wired the same way it came off I done them one at a time if that pressure switch is bad would it cause it to have less operation after replacing the board then it had before the board was replaced
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Check the installation instructions for the board. Unless it is an exact replacement for the original, there may be additional steps that must be followed for it to function correctly. I would not expect a faulty pressure switch to cause less operation than before, but if the new board has safety features that the old one lacked, it is possible, if the pressure switch is stuck in the engaged position. Try this: pull the wire off the C terminal of the pressure switch. Does anything happen?

Jan 26, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Check the installation instructions for the board. Unless it is an exact replacement for the original, there may be additional steps that must be followed for it to function correctly. I would not expect a faulty pressure switch to cause less operation than before, but if the new board has safety features that the old one lacked, it is possible, if the pressure switch is stuck in the engaged position. Try this: pull the wire off the C terminal of the pressure switch. Does anything happen?
    OK before reading yours I put uld board back on inducer motor came on so your righ about the board is there any way to check pressure switch or jumper it
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 04:21 PM
    You will need a multimeter. Set meter to check ohms/resistance, disconnect wires from pressure switch. With inducer off, you should read infinite resistance through switch. With inducer running, you should read 0 resistance through switch.

Jan 26, 2009, 09:42 PM
    You will need a multimeter. Set meter to check ohms/resistance, disconnect wires from pressure switch. With inducer off, you should read infinite resistance through switch. With inducer running, you should read 0 resistance through switch.
    Thanks for all your help. You know what it ended up being? t-stat.guess I should have been thinking more simple lol.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace won't ignite [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a brand new central a/c and gas furnace about 2 years, I never have to use the heater until this winter. My problem is when I tried to turn on the heater, I did see the electronice ignition comes light but after few seconds is shutting off. I noticed a blinking red light on the control...

Heil Furnace won't stay lit or blow air [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Heil gas furnace that just started acting up today the coldest day of the year here, go figure... The pilot will light the burner and it will burn for a few seconds, but the main blower won't kick on. The burner then goes out. The draft fan runs fine. If I set the Thermostat to FAN...

Heil unit not heating well. [ 3 Answers ]

First timer please bear with me, I have a Heil 3 ton unit outside my 1200 sq. ft. home. It was there when I moved in about 10 years ago. My heating bills have been steadily going up over the years, I figured that to natural gas prices mostly. Now there is only lukewarm air coming out of the...

Heil SP80 Won't Ignite [ 11 Answers ]

Last night when I went to bed the furnace was working fine. The power flickered on and off all night, and at 5 am I woke up freezing my butt off. It was 52 degrees in my house. I can hear it the furnace running, but it is not blowing any heat through the vents in my house, nor is it taking in...

Gas furnace won't ignite sometimes [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a 15 yr old carrier weathermaker gas forced air furnace model 58sxa080 the furnace works fine most of the time although every so often usually in the mourning and sometimes during the day ( after the thermostat sets itself back to 65 overnight) when the thermostat calls for the...

View more questions Search