Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dunkin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Collection Company checking my credit Report
    Can a collection agency legally inquire your credit report without your approval. I just checked my credit report and a company called GENESSEE VALLEY ASSOCIates inquired on my credit report in June of 08 without my consent.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 12:24 PM

Are you sure they weren't acting on another companies behalf? It seems odd for them to pull up random people's credit history without reason.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2009, 12:25 PM

Yes, Anyone with an account with the credit bureau can pull your report. They only have to have some business with you. If this collection agency is trying to collect on a debt, they have the right to check your record.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 12:26 PM

I just found this, it may be worth digging a little deeper to find out what's going on:

Genesee Valley Associates, Inc - Windows Live

Jan 26, 2009, 12:27 PM
    Regardless, is this legal? Inquire on credit is a slash against my credit rating.

Jan 26, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Thanks for your help
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2009, 12:33 PM

Again, there is nothing illegal about an inquiry being made to collect on a debt.

If you believe they have the wrong person, then file a protest with the credit bureau.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection agency on my credit report [ 1 Answers ]

There is an account on my credit report from a collection company called FBCS that says I owe them $414. This is not my account and I sent FBCS a letter saying that it was not mine and they need to remove it now. They replied with a letter saying that the account is closed and returned to Sprint...

Credit collection on bounced checking account [ 3 Answers ]

A couple years ago I had a checking account that I had bounced a check in and it just spiraled down from there! National city Bank kept sending the same checks through my account adding more bouncing fees to my negative balance. They did not pay any of these checks! I had contacted the bank about...

Collection Letter but not on my credit report. [ 1 Answers ]

I am located in Illinois. I received a collection letter from a collection attorney. I am not sure if the debt specified is mine or not. It says it was from one Creditor, and then bought by another. I pulled a copy of my credit report, and do not see either creditor listed or the...

Checking my Credit report online or at a Bureau [ 2 Answers ]

I just want to find out what my credit status and credit score is. Im not sure if anyone can help me, because I'm trying to find a free online website for a canadian check and anything I pull up is for America. And I can't seem to find a bureau location in ontario. So any advice would be...

View more questions Search