Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alagua719 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Typical rate for a criminal lawyer?
    I was wondering if anyone knows the typical rate to hire a lawyer for two felony charges, Possession of Stolen Property & Embezzlement.

I have one lined up that's charging $6,000. I just want to know if I'm paying too much.

I live in the state of Nevada if that helps.
    He also claims he can keep me out of jail and possibly push down the felonies to a gross misdemeanor.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 04:04 PM

All lawyers will claim that. The only real way to tell if that is a good rate is to shop around.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 04:07 PM

I would assume that 6000 is just a retainer, and his hourly hours will be deducted from that.

Around here the normal retainer is 5000 for the to start.

All will make promises
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alagua719 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows the typical rate to hire a lawyer for two felony charges, Possession of Stolen Property & Embezzlement.

I have one lined up thats charging $6,000. I just want to know if i'm paying too much.

I live in the state of Nevada if that helps.
    He also claims he can keep me out of jail and possibly push down the felonies to a gross misdemeanor.

Nobody knows what's going to happen but a Judge. This is called puffery.

Anyway - no way to tell if you're paying too much. It doesn't sound out of line to me (I'm in NY) but what are other Attorneys charging?

Also - the fact that he charges more or less doesn't make him better or worse than other Attorneys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

During NC, is it typical for them to not contact you [ 14 Answers ]

Just out of curiousity, I just started NC with my ex cause she has a boyfriend now. I'm on day 5, is it typical for them to have no contact with me either, I go on Yahoo and she's on but never says a word. So again, is it normal for them to make no contact too if you don't make no contact?

Car accident in RI, What is the percent rate for a lawyer? [ 5 Answers ]

I was in a car accident in Rhode Island back in 2003, I just settled the case. Now I just have to wait for the check. How much will my lawyer make? What percent does the lawyer make off my settlement of 47,235.00? Also does he take his money before medical bills are paid? :confused:

Typical proteins [ 1 Answers ]

With respect to the four levels of comparative size presented in your text, which scale does a typical protein fall into?

View more questions Search