Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia View Post
    Is smoking really that bad???
    Hello Kia:

That's the wrong question. I don't know HOW bad something has to be for YOU, to be "THAT" bad. For some, ANY bad is more than they want. Others look bad in the face, and dare it to bite. I have NO idea what your risk levels are.

Plus, I don't even know HOW you define "bad". Is bad going to jail? I've been to jail over weed. I lived. What about losing your career? A felony conviction just might do that, you know. Is THAT bad? Do you have student loans? You'll lose them. THAT ain't good.

As you can see, there are a lot of bad things that can happen to you if you smoke pot.

No, you won't get addicted, because it's NON addictive. And, you won't die from it. Asking and I have had disagreements in the past about the lethality of marijuana. In fact, it has NEVER killed anybody. It doesn't increase your risk for cancer. In fact, our nurse expert here (who is by NO MEANS a pot head) thinks pot helps people from GETTING lung cancer. She has studies to back her up.

Nonetheless, inhaling smoke into your lungs CAN'T be good for you. It IS a drug. It should NOT be used by children.

That said, and if you're an adult who happens to be one of those who look bad in the face, pot is pretty cool. It's certainly BETTER than cigarettes or alcohol.

excon
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 01:25 PM

I am happy to take back the comment about lung cancer. I admit that I assumed that based on the fact that inhalation of heavy amounts of particulates and the fact that burned proteins (found in plant and animal tissue) tend to be carcinogenic. But I see the UCLA study that didn't find that marijuana increased the risk of lung cancer.

Let me rephrase what I said. Breathing smoke and other particulate matter is never good for your lungs. If the smoke is hot, that is worse.

For example, this kind of thing.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0123104017.htm

If you smoke frequently, use a double-chambered water bong to reduce the hot gases and particulates. (I don't smoke myself.)
    ultimate_user_name Posts: 103, Reputation: 6

Jan 27, 2009, 01:30 PM

Either use a bong or bake it into something I say, pot smoke has A lot of tar in it. Going through water takes out like 95% of it though.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 01:36 PM

Use a vaporizer that is the cleanest way.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Kia:

Nonetheless, inhaling smoke into your lungs CAN'T be good for you.
    We agree on this point.

However, it's perfectly possible to die of lung diseases that are not cancer. A friend of mine died of emphysema, which is not cancer. It is a terrible way to go. Do I know if marijuana increases the risk of emphysema? No.

Anyway, I just searched the internet and was surprised not to find the kind of bong I had in mind. Basically you have two flasks in series and pull the smoke through the water of one 1-liter flask and then through the water of a second 1-liter erlenmeyer flask. The two flasks are joined by tubing, of course. These setups are effective, definitely better than a joint or dry bong.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 02:30 PM

Suffice it to say to the op, find a healthier way to deal with the issues at hand. Look to the cause(s) of your boredom, sleeplessness, and finances and work towards ways of making changes... even if it will be slow going... set a goal, make a plan, and focus on it. Only then will you have long term results. In the meantime, try the suggestions offered to carry you to that point.

Hope it all works out well for you... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Smoking age [ 9 Answers ]

At seventeen in America, if your parents let you smoke is it legal?

Smoking Pot [ 20 Answers ]

My girlfriend recently tried pot and had a good experience . I am not into it and haven't tried it. She tells me that she enjoyed it and plans on doing it again soon. And would like me to try it , so I can see for myself that it is not that bad. What are your thoughts on Pot. Having not done it...

Smoking [ 6 Answers ]

I have given up smoking for a week and I am dying for a fag shall I have one?? Or shall I continue to eat my nails. If so does anyone have a spare hand

I need your help with smoking [ 1646 Answers ]

Well I haven't had a cigi since 8am this morning it was the last one now I've tried on numerous occasions to quit smoking and I'm just not flipping strong enough to do it I always cave in. Now I know there's no easy way to do this and I have to admit boy am I feeling dizzy and funny but I can't...

Smoking [ 21 Answers ]

Is smoking dope every day bad for you? More bad than smoking cigarettes?

View more questions Search