Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Biolog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 09:15 AM
    How to fill tax return form for married+1 H1b holder with wife and son having no SSN
    Here is my situation: I am a posdoc has been working in MA for almost 10 month (moved from Europe). I am here on H1b visa with my wife and 14-year old son. They both on H4, so there are no SSNs (they can't work in the USA) and there is no any additional income for our family.

Practically, I have 2 dependent, but if I understand it correctly from the answers to similar question, I can't claim them both - my wife and my son - as a dependent, can I?

What can I do in this situation? I especially interesting in the answer about my son, since I spend a lot for him. TurboTax has just messed up and asking for SSN for my son.

Thank you very much for your time and help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 10:05 AM

When did you come to the U.S. and on which visa? When did you get on H1-B?
    Yes, you can not efile unless you have SSN or ITIN.

Jan 26, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Thank you very much for the prompt response!

Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    When did you come to the U.S. and on which visa? When did you get on H1-B?
    I have been working in the State since April 14, 2008, and I have my H1b issued in March 2008. Same with H4s for both my family members.

I do not want to e-file, I prefer a paper version of documents; I just do not know which option to choose... I have to put my wife and my sin to the documents somehow (they exist :) ), I just do not know how to do that correctly.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 12:17 PM
    You can and should file jointly with your wife. Your wife will have to sign a memo stating that she CHOOSES to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2008.

Additionally, since your son was in the U.S. for part of 2008, you WILL be able to claim him as a dependent on that joint return.

Since he is under the age of 17, you can also claim the $1,000 Child Tax Credit for him.

You will need to complete Forms W-7 for your wife and son to get them Individual Tax Identification Numbers (ITINs), and these Forms W-7 must have a notarized photocopy of their passports stapled to each respective W-7. Your wife will sign her W-7, while you will sign the W-7 for your son.

All of these documents will be paper clipped to your Form 1040, which will list your wife as your joint filer and your son as your dependent. Leave their SSN area BLANK. I assume you will also claim moving expenses for the cost of moving from Europe to the U.S. in 2008.

Everything gets mailed to the ITIN processing center in Austin, Texas (the exact address is listed in the W-7 instructions).

The IRS will issue the ITINs, insert them in the tax return, process the return, then send you the refund, preferably by direct deposit to your checking account. They will mail the ITINs to you and your wife in separate envelopes.

Then (and only then) should you file the Massachusetts state tax return as a part-year resident, filing jointly with your wife and claiming your son as a dependent.

If you need professional help doing this, email me at [email protected].

Jan 29, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    You can and should file jointly with your wife. Your wife will have to sign a memo stating that she CHOOSES to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2008.
    Thank you very much for the prompt and explanative answer!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1-B holder married citizen which form require for green card [ 1 Answers ]

I am a H1-B holder and married US citizen 2 years ago. Which forms should be submitted to USCIS.GOV to get Green card? I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765, G-325A and I-751 Is this correct?

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

Tax return with married status , wife in India [ 7 Answers ]

Hi , I am on H1 visa and will be going to India to get married in Dec2007. I will be returing in feb but my wife will join me In march. My question are as follows 1> I am getting married in last month of 2007 and also my wife not be coming to US in year 2007 , Will I be able to file Taxes...

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

Tax return form for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a H1B visa holder, came to US in January, 2006. I am married and I have two children, one is born in US and another one in Bangladesh. My wife and one child have H4 visa (dependent visa). I have social security number but they don't have SSC/TIN. Is there anybody can tell me how...

View more questions Search