Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherlita_thompk Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Ethical Issue
    The net income of Steinbach & Sons, a department store, decreased sharply during 2007. Mort Steinbach, owner of the store, anticipates the need for a bank loan in 2008. Late in 2007, Steinbach instructs the store's accountant to record a $2,000 sale of furniture to the Steinbach family, even thoiugh the goods will not be shipped from the manufacturer until January 2008. Steinbach also tells the accountant not to make the following December 31, 2007 adjusting entries:

Salaries owned to employees... $900
    Prepared insurance that has expired... $400.

As a pesonal friend, what advice would you give the accountant?
    sherlita_thompk Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 09:10 AM
    This is my 2nd time submitting this Question... I hope I'm doing this right?

The net income of Steinbach & Sons, a department store, decreased sharply during 2007. Mort Steinbach, owner of the store, anticipates the need for a bank loan in 2008. Late in 2007, Steinbach instructs the store's accountant to record a $2,000 sale of furniture to the Steinbach family, even though the goods will not be shipped from the manufacturer until January 2008. Steinbach also tells the accountant not to make the following December 31, 2007 adjusting entries:

Salaries owned to employees... $900
    Prepaid insurance that has expired... 400

Why is Steinbach taking this action? Is his action ethical? Give your reason, identifying the parties helped and the parties harmed by Steinbach's action. And as a personal friend, what advice would you give the accountant?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 26, 2009, 09:11 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to copy your homework to AMHD.
    Please refer to this announcement: Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Homework Help
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 26, 2009, 09:30 AM

Sounds like a homework question to me, please see the big red notice at the top of the accounting board re homework help.

That being said your “friend” would be breaking the law (falsifying business records) if he were to do this. Furthermore if he is a CPA he would be risking having his license revoked. If it were me I would find another job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difficult hypothetical/ethical/ Hippa issue [ 2 Answers ]

Psychitrist in my office begins to date office mgr. He is divorced she is not. Together for four yrs. Just as things appear to be getting very serious office mgr breaks it off with MDoffice mgr is the f3emale. She staes too much stress thjat kind of crap. Turns out she is dating someone else... the...

Ethical issue 2 [ 4 Answers ]

ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS Victoria British Auto Parts is having a bad year. Net income is only $37,000. Also, tow important overseas customers are falling behind in their payments to Victoria, and Victoria’s accounts receivable are ballooning. The company desperately needs a loan. The Victoria board of...

Ethical issues in accouting-stating what the ethical thing to do is. [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: Ethical issue: the tobacco companies have paid billions because of smoking related illness. In particular, phillip morris, a leading cigarette maufacturer paid over 3 billion dollars in one year 1) Suppose you are the CFO (Chief Financial officer) responcible for the...

Ethical issue [ 2 Answers ]

CAN ANYONE HELP? Python.com owes $6 million on notes payable that will come due for payment in $6 million on notes payable that will come due for payment in $1.5 million annual installments. The company has used its cash to advertise heavily in the competitive dotcom business environment. The...

View more questions Search