Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgfarmer Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Question about back stab connections for light switches
    We are in a newly built home and after being there about 2 years we have noticed that some of the light switches have been popping. They are actually 3 switches that control the same light fixture. All 3 are in different boxes. I noticed these switches were installed using the back stabbed method. Only 2 of the switches had been problem and being my first time replacing a switch I just used the same method they did not knowing back stabbed isn't preferred. The 2 switches I replaced worked OK for a couple of months but soon started popping again. Is it possible that since all 3 of these switches control the same fixture that if one switch has a loose connection that it can cause the other light switches that control the same fixture to arc?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2006, 05:16 PM
    No , most likely if you did not strip the wire again, the wire was damaged by the previous insertion into a Whiz Wire switch, or the stripping is not long enough, or the quality of switch is poor.

THis method of connecting devices is popular with tract homes and subdivisions, since it is a labor saver. I do not and never did this type of method, since I also have always been involved with service and troubleshooting, I have seen this cause many loose connection problems, in short made a good deal of money finding and repairiing them.

Use a good quality switch, even the inexpensive switches are good when using the wrap around screw connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 amp 25 volt light switches [ 5 Answers ]

I Am Upgrading A House That Was Built In 1963 And The Light Switches Have Never Been Changed,the House Was A Ge Home And All The Light Switches Are Low Voltage.does Anyone Know Where I Can Find Replacement Swithches?they Are 3 Amp 25 Volt Switches.

Light switches [ 1 Answers ]

Here is a strange one. I am visiting my father, and he recently replaced an outlet in one bedroom and now the light switch no longer works. He didn't touch the switch at all. Here is the really odd part... now the same problem is in the adjoining bedroom. However, they are on different...

Ceiling Fan single switch/Light two 3-way switches [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire... Ceiling Fan with Light switched separately. Light to be controlled by two 3-way switches and fan controlled by a separate single switch. :confused:

Wiring for multiple light switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have three light switches that control one light fixture. In the past, they all turned the light of and on independently. But recently it depends on where you turn if off. In some cases, it won't turn on at another switch. Someone told me it was the wiring or the switches. Nobody has changed...

View more questions Search