Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Do I have to have funeral home arrange cremation?
    I live in Canada, Ontario to be specific. I do not wish to have a formal funeral through a funeral home. Nor do I wish to purchase a casket. I wish to be cremated, but avoid the embalming proceedures and expenses.

I presume when I die I would end up in the morgue at the local hospital. Can I not arrange transportation to a crematorium, and that would be the end of it?

I don't know if there are legal considerations here or not, but I hate funeral homes, and I hate that people get gouged thousands of dollars, thinking that they have to do things 'the proper way'.

If there are alternatives, and anybody can offer some advice or leads on how or where to make enquiries, I would appreciate it very much. Also, if anyone has been aware of, or made similar arrangements to avoid using the services of a funeral home.

Thanks very much.
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Jan 27, 2009, 09:47 PM
    It all depends on where you live. By thatI mean if there is a crematorium in your city or area you make direct arrangements with the crematorium people to pick up the body
    And where to deliver the ashes. You will be given a choice of urns to choose from.

You don't have to go through a funeral home . If the crematorium is in a bordering state and you have to cross state lines , there may be a problem and in that case you might have to use a funeral home. But if you do use a funeral home just tell them no frills just pick up the body, take it to the crematorium, and afterwards deliver the ashes to you. The urn will be more expensive but you can find something nice to put the ashes in or perhaps you are going to spread them over water or a forest , etc. then you don't need an urn. The yellow pages should have phone nos of any crematoriums and you can make arrangements. Here where we live, when a person dies WE JUST CALL THE crematorium and they come immediately. Laws in Canada may be different so look for a crematorium in the phone book. Talk to them about your desires.

Now some funeral homes have their own crematorium in which case you can still make arrangements, Let them know how you feel and what you are willing to pay and what you want and what you don't want. I am sure you can get exactly what you want.
    Hope this info helps you.

Maggie 3
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 09:59 PM
    Thank you VERY much for your response. It did not occur to me to call a crematorium directly. There isn't one locally, but there is one in a town not too far from here.

I thought of calling the funeral home, but they are the only game in town. I have been unable to find any 'official' office pertaining to laws either.

So, you've given me an awesome idea, and I'm going to follow through on it and see what the crematoriums can do for me.

Rather a dreary topic I know, but I've attended too many funerals to want to put anybody I love through that.

Thank you Maggie.
    jenylarry Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2009, 07:36 AM
    Here is a link of funeral home directory from where you can get all the information on US local funeral homes services.

Location directory for funeral homes and funeral services including cemeteries, mortuaries and crematories in US and Canada.

I hope this information help you.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 07:46 AM

I am donating my entire body to science.Specifically a teaching hospital where my remains will be used to teach students and possibly also bone grafts.
    Here is a link that will explain this further.
    Body Donation - Funeral Alternative - Free Cremation Services
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2009, 07:55 AM

But be sure and let many family and friends know what you want, Make sure it is all in writing.
    Since when you are dead you can't tell anyone. So you laying dead in a hosptial, ( lets say you were not conscience when you went in hospital) all they know is that you are dead. So then family members will have to tell them what to do with your body.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 26, 2009, 04:26 PM

Yeah make sure you have it in writing that you do not want a funeral. Many well meaning relatives often have a funeral even when the person said all their life they do not want a funeral.
    Emotional Health Expert

May 26, 2009, 06:22 PM
    That actually happened to my father in law. The family put an announcement in the paper and specifically said 'NO VISITORS FAMILY ONLY', and here if a couple showed up and stood in the back of the small room. My mother in law was so upset, but didn't let me go and ask them to leave. It was just a small memorial service.

I'm hoping that no funeral announcement in the paper will be enough so that people will know after the fact, and by then they'll just be scratchin' their heads. :eek:
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 06:04 AM

Yeah some people include themselves as 'adopted' family but should still make sure it is okay when it is specified about immediate family.
    Emotional Health Expert

May 27, 2009, 06:30 AM
    Very true. I've written out most of what I want done, and enough money will be set aside for a dinner at a local restaurant. I am hoping that my wishes will be honoured, but like you said, no guarantees.

I have a library full of books, mostly paranormal/ufo stuff and surprise surprise- nobody wants it! Lol :confused:
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 06:35 AM

My boyfriend would absolutely LOVE the UFO stuff and I love much of the paranormal.

You can always include us for the books

But thing is
    I am sure you will die way after we do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cremation and my responsibility [ 2 Answers ]

I'm the only one who is listed for a patient in a nursing home. She has no relatives. She's dying. I can't see getting a funeral home. Can someone just get cremated Without a church or funeral home?

Cremation and what's required [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine went to two funeral parlors to prepay her own funeral. She was told That she needs special papers from the lawyer for cremation. I have cremation in my Will and apparently that's not enough. My partner doesn't even have cremation in her Will, it's just what she told me. Are...

Flowers to the funeral home for viewing or to the Church for Christian burial? [ 3 Answers ]

We live out of state and just heard of an unfortunate passing of a loved one. We would like to send flowers to the family. The viewing at the funeral home is on Sunday. As most of you are aware, most florists are closed on Sunday's. Do I order them to be delivered on Saturday and let the...

Funeral Home [ 8 Answers ]

Can Funeral Homes in NY request autopsies on a dead person? I was told that and I am verifying. I thought only Coroner's or Medical Examiners could do it. Thanks

View more questions Search