Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    becky23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2006, 06:56 AM
    92 honda civic won't start HELP PLEASE
    Hello everyone. I was looking around in this forum.. to see if I could get some answers to why my car is not turning over. It's a 1992 Honda Civic Lx. Its been sitting for 2 months b.c I can't figure out the problem. It wouldn't start at a gas station after putting 10 dollars of gas in it, even had a guy try to jump start me off which wouldn't do at all. I have had this problem before, at that time I had my fiancé replace the alternator had my battery checked, and to come to find out it was the ignition coil. Well this time someone told me it could be my fuel pump so I changed it, still wouldn't start, so I called my mechanic and he said it was the main relay well replaced it didn't start so I took it back. So finally I changed my ignition coil thinking that was the problem and put a screw driver in the spark plug wires to see if its getting any fire and It's not... I don't know what the problem is... I really need some help. Had my battery checked at Autozone and they recharged it. I might want to add that when I checked my spark plugs (on a rebuilt motor I have that's only got 70 some thousand miles on) one had oil on it, I don't know if that would be the reason it won't start or what. PLEASE HElP, I'm really getting fustrated with my car. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2006, 07:46 AM
    I suspect your Engine Control Module (computer) has failed, but I will need you to run a simple test, in a little while, to confirm my hypothesis. First, does your "Check Engine Light" stay on when you try to start your car or does it go off after several seconds? You mentioned that the main relay was replaced, but do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the ignition ON? Does it crank (starter motor runs) but not start? How many miles do you have on your Civic?

Aug 4, 2006, 10:00 AM
    My brother and fiancé believes that it might be my computer, which I really am hoping its not.. b.c I hear those are expensive. My check engine light does stay on it doesn't go off when I try to start it. See when I try to Start my car all it does is wind (sp?) I changed my fuel pump... it doesn't sound like anything comes on when I try to start it. Isn't there some kind of method you can do to check the fuel pump to see if its bad? All it does is just keep winding like it isn't going to do anything... I've got 176,612 miles on my car and only 70,000 something on my rebuilt motor.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2006, 10:19 AM
    Perform the simple "K Test" below:

I suspect the voltage going from your ECM to the MAP sensor is the problem. Turn ignition ON and check for 5 volts going to the MAP sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. This is the right YEL/GRN wire, as you look at the female connector. It's probably a fraction of a volt, indicating the ECM is failing. If the signal wire from the MAP sensor is real low, you won't get spark and the fuel system will shut down. This is the KEY sensor on Hondas and a major design flaw, in my opinion. They should have designed a more fault tolerant electrical system. Odds are your computer has failed and it's time to replace it.

If this test confirms your ECM is bad, I suggest you buy the Cardone Remanufactured ECM below for $256.99:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...ine%20Computer

Your's should be the first one pictured, if you have a manual transmission. Get O'Reilly Auto Parts to match Advance Auto's price, and you will get a lifetime warranty on it. New ECMs are easy to install, just make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable first. Consider yourself blessed that you got 177,000 miles out of your ECM--you did well.

If you run this test and it confirms your ECM is bad, your car can be back on the road, running like a top, this afternoon.

Alternatively, you can buy a used ECM on EBay for $110, including shipping, with a one year warranty. Honda wants over $850, plus tax, on a new one with only a one year warranty.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2006, 10:36 AM
    If you run this test and it confirms your ECM is bad, your car can be back on the road, running like a top, this afternoon.

Aug 4, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Thank you very much for the information you have given me, I will have my fiancé to check and see if it is the computer... I'll let you know. Thank you!
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2006, 02:47 PM
    Jump terminals 5 and 7 on your main relay connector and then turn your ignition ON. Then, I'm sure you will hear the fuel pump run. However, your Civic still won't start afterwards because I'm sure your ECM is bad. If the MAP sensor doesn't get 5 volts, your ignition will not spark and the fuel pump won't run.
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Did replacing your ECM solve your problem?

Oct 25, 2007, 06:04 AM
    I thought I would update everyone on my situation... I know it's been awhile since I have posted. Well my brother put a paper clip to see something... I'm not a car genius I just know what he did... he put the paper clip in some plug close to my ECM to see what the error code was if my instrument panel goes on and off and how many times to tell me the error code number well he did it and there wasn't a code at all it didn't flick once. So he's guessing its my ECM and I haven't even fouled with it since the last time I posted. So I really don't know. I know my mothers car did the same and I replaced her rotary button and put my ignition module on her car and it started right up (92 honda accord) I was hoping doing some work on hers would tell me what would be wrong with mine but that didn't so... I guess I'll go buy a ECM from a junk yard for $85 dollars to see.
    drift_tokyo Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 03:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by becky23
    hello everyone. I was lookin around in this forum..to see if I could get some answers to why my car is not turning over. Its a 1992 Honda Civic Lx. Its been sitting for 2 months b.c I can't figure out the problem. It wouldn't start at a gas station after putting 10 dollars of gas in it, even had a guy try to jump start me off which wouldn't do at all. I have had this problem before, at that time I had my fiance replace the alternator had my battery checked, and to come to find out it was the ignition coil. Well this time someone told me it could be my fuel pump so I changed it, still wouldn't start, so I called my mechanic and he said it was the main relay well replaced it didn't start so I took it back. So finally I changed my ignition coil thinkin that was the problem and put a screw driver in the spark plug wires to see if its getting any fire and It's not.... I don't know what the problem is... I really need some help. Had my battery checked at Autozone and they recharged it. I might want to add that when I checked my spark plugs (on a rebuilt motor I have thats only got 70 some thousand miles on) one had oil on it, I don't know if that would be the reason it won't start or what. PLEASE HElP, I'm really getting fustrated with my car. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks
    My friend Loren have same problem as u have, he got problem solution is changing the oil and flush the oil and it start work, check see if u have dirty in the oil and if yes u need to change the oil or flush the oil and it will might work if it not work maybe it best to rebuild it.
    bdz1961 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2010, 12:28 AM
    I have a 1992 honda civic hatchback 4 cylinder 1.5 liter and I am wondering what I can check to see why it's not firing? I put new plugs,wires, distributor cap on it
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2010, 05:05 AM

bdz1961, replace the Ignition Control Module and coil, if the CEL comes on and goes off normally, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II):

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896
    wehrd1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 07:58 AM
    If it's a 5spd, it could very well be the safety switch on your clutch. - refer to THIS thread here: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=182369
    gestanislao Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2011, 09:34 PM

(monkey grease) I've got a problem with my 92 civic hatch. I bought to a friend and he said it was the ICM is the only problem. I replaced it and the engine starts and sounds good I don't here any knocks on the engine but it smokes a lot . After a 10 minutes run I turn it off. And I try to start again but it won't start. The CEl lit for 2 seconds and the main relay clicks. So I change the relay it starts again but when I turn it off it won't start anymore. Please help man...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have an '82 Honda Civic that won't start. With key turned to accessories and wipers turned on, when I move the positive battery clamp the wipers go on and dash lights as well. I turn the key to start and everything goes off. Turning the key back to accessories again, no lights... only if I go...

My Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

I read CroCivic's post about testing your Honda Civic, and there is some great information in there, but I have a 1991 Honda Civic 1.5 liter that won't start, but there is to fault code showing on the computer. The car had just pulled out from a stop at an intersection, and it just died. No...

95 honda civic won't start, help! [ 38 Answers ]

My 1995 civic will not start. I have never had a problem with this car before. The battery is fairly new; only about a year old. It cranks just fine with a normal starting sound, but nothing else happens. I've checked all the fuses and they're all fine. I thought it was flooded, so I tried starting...

89 Honda CIVIC: No Start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 89 Honda Civic that has not been started in over a year. I put in a new battery and tried to start it. It started and ran very reough for about 10 seconds. Now it has no spark and I don't hear a click when the ignition swaith is turned on. I checked and there is no blink on the ECU light....

88 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, and thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have. My Honda Civic recently stopped starting altogether (it hasn't been an intermittent problem, it simply stopped starting one day and hasn't started since). I had been driving it off and on for much of the day, but I the engine...

View more questions Search