Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 01:46 PM
    Electric Fireplace for supplemental heat
    I was at Lowe's last night and saw an electric fireplace that was in a media center for putting beneath a plasma TV mounted on the wall. It says that it is 13.5 Amp fireplace, 5,119 BTU's and that it would heat 400 Sq ft. I have two heater vents in the room, and it seems like they can never get it to a comfortable temp. This is the basement family room. I have a 1500 Watt electric pedestal ceramic heater that will get it there in about 2 hours. Just wondering if anyone has an idea about how well this electric fireplace would work.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 01:49 PM
    It will work just about like your pedestal ceramic heater but it will look pretty.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jan 27, 2009, 11:26 AM

Your current 1500W heater puts out the same BTUs, so you're just not warming up that room any quicker. If your wiring can handle it and you don't mind a bump in your electric bill, then buying a second one and running them together will get you there faster.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace - Gas Vs. Electric [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a wood burning fireplace in my basement but want to switch it over to something less messy and a bit more convenient. While looking around I noticed 2 options; gas and electric. Any advice on which is the better option with respect to: Heating (would still like to get the benefit...

Using attic air for supplemental heat. [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I had to vent my bathroom fan properly (previous home owner vented it to the attic). Obviously it was much warmer up there and I was wondering if I could install a fan in my house to pull warm attic air into a common living area. I know attic air has a lot of moisture be we also use a...

Electric fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

My electric fire place heats up for only 5 minutes or so. Is it the thermostate and how do I change it

Supplemental Heat Light [ 4 Answers ]

Why is my supplemental heat light on when the A/C is running. I can feel warm air coming from a couple of vents. Can the heat pump be disconnected for the time being or does it run with the A/C as well Thanks, Rainey

View more questions Search