Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LostCreekSooner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 01:46 PM
    Closet Flange too high
    Need help lowering closet flange. The drain is 3" PVC, and the flange is also PVC and has an 'inner sleeve' when connected to the drain pipe. I have a new 'rubber sealed' inner flange, but I can't get the old one out. I bought a inner pipe cutter but the blade does not seem to be big enough to cut through the pipe. I assume the blade is not big enough because there is a step-off from the sleeve on the current flange to the actual pipe I am cutting. Any advice? I have not been able to find larger inner pipe cutting blades. Also, once I cut through the pipe, this is slightly deeper than the foundation. Will the pipe stick to the cement and be difficult to lift away? Please don't heckle me for not noticing this before I laid my travertine tile under the current flange... ugh!
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Try using a Dremel with the large cutting disk. It stinks, and the PVC clogs up the cutting disk often, but all in all it should be able to get under the step and cut the pipe. Concrete usually doesn't stick to plastic very well, so I doubt it will stick much, but if it does you should be able to smack it around a bit to loosen it. Good Luck.
    LostCreekSooner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bmarigoni View Post
    Try using a Dremel with the large cutting disk. It stinks, and the PVC clogs up the cutting disk often, but all in all it should be able to get under the step and cut the pipe. Concrete usually doesn't stick to plastic very well, so I doubt it will stick much, but if it does you should be able to smack it around a bit to loosen it. Good Luck.
    I do have a dremel... but I have never seen a cutting wheel that is any larger than the inner pipe-cutting tool I just purchased...
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 06:50 PM
    I was thinking that you could maneuver the Dremel in the pipe and angle it toward where you need cut with the larger wheel.. perhaps you don't have as much clearance as I was thinking..
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Hi Lostcreeksooner...

You may have a street closet flange in place there... that could explain the issue with not finishing the cut using the inside pipe cutter you purchased. Here, you would be cutting not only the flange pipe but also the fitting it connects into... may be too wide for the inside PIPE cutter. If this is the case and you have a STREET FLANGE then you only have a couple options left...

How deep have you cut into the flange pipe already?

Can you post a picture of this situation using the GO ADVANCED feature and then MANAGE ATTACHMENTS to post a picture?

Let us know...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High Closet Flange [ 5 Answers ]

In remodeling a second floor bathroom and I eliminated a flooring layer which resulted in the top of the brass flange on the cast iron waste pipe about 1 inch above finished floor. Read all the posts and the solution that appealed most to me was to push the flange, via taps with a 2x4, to the...

Installing closet flange where old flange top non existent [ 3 Answers ]

I am flooring in the basement bathroom and need to be able to set the toilet at a higher level. The flange part of the flange has been removed - there is now a pipe with the tubular part of the flange glued into it. How do I install a new flange with the appropriate extensions?

Hole in floor is larger than closet flange, and the flange may be too low [ 3 Answers ]

We recently put down ceramic tile in one of our bathrooms. A friend of ours did the job for almost nothing, as he had most of the required supplies left over from another job, including tile. Now there is water leaking from the base of the toilet. After scouring the DIY sites on the internet, I...

Closet flange too high [ 1 Answers ]

I'm redoing a bathroom floor and have a problem where the closet flange is going to be too high. The original floor was a mortar-bed tile installation, so the bottom of the flange is 1.5" above the plywood subflooring. The new floor will be backerboard/thinset/tile, and I think it will only be...

Yet another "closet flange is too high, what to do" question [ 6 Answers ]

OK... let me first say thanks again for all the prior help. What's there: Concrete floor 3" cast iron Lead pipe connecting closet flange to closet el Brass closet flange will end up at 1" over fininshed floor... Ok... so I used a small, sharp screw driver and hammer and worked the...

View more questions Search