Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pappi1951 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Heat Pump Ices Up when cold outside
    My Heat pump which is a Trane and 20 year old iced up a few weeks ago. The HVAC technician said nothing was wrong , that when the temperature is below freezing I need to turn on the emergency heat.

I did that a received a $430 electric bill this month.

I have not had this problem for 19 years. It froze up again last week so I turned on the emergency heat again.

What could be causing this. Do I need a new thermostat?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 10:28 AM
    If the unit is freezing up or getting ice on it the defrost circuit is having a problem. Defrost timer,defrost circuit board,defrost sensor,reversing valve or the reversing valve activation coil is defective causing the problem. Call a better service company and tell the to find the defective part and fix it.

Now I will say 19 years is a long time on a heat pump and you might consider a replacement due to age and the possibilitys of other problems happening.

I do not believe a new thermostat will cure your problem. The qualified service person who looks at your system will be much better informed than I can be since I am not there to test your syatem.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 10:28 AM

You could be having a problem with the defrost control malfunctioning, this control is located in the outside unit and defrosts the unit on a time and need basis, Good luck, Mike
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jan 26, 2009, 11:47 AM

Get a new tech and have them find the problem in possibly your defrost subsystem. That system is there specifically when the temp goes below freezing to prevent exactly this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump and cold weather [ 18 Answers ]

I have a couple of questions about a heat pump. I guess I need to do a little explaining first. I have an American Standard air exchanger heat pump with electrical resistance backup. The system has the original mechanical thermostat with separate contacts for the compressor and for the...

My heat pump only blows warm air. No cold air. [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new digital t-stat on my comformaker heat pump a/c system. I am getting warm air when I want it to cool.

Heat Pump and Cold Air [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 20 year old townhouse with a single unit heat pump. Now that the weather is changing, the unit is not heating the home. The blower is on but the air remains cold. Is there a pilot light that needs to be ignited? Or is there some other problem?

Heat pump blowing cold air. [ 1 Answers ]

What causes the heat pump to blow cold air? Our entire unit is out side and it is electric.

Electric heat pump in cold weather [ 3 Answers ]

This may have been asked before, if so sorry, but I need answers anyway. We recently bought a house with an electric heat pump. On cold nights, it runs and runs without getting up to temp, set at 65, which doesn't seem very energy efficient, plus is very annoying. I have to get up and manually...

View more questions Search