Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Landing an aircraft with one wing. AMAZING.
    I posted the link on another post, but to be sure it is not overlooked, gave it its own:
    Landing with One Wing - Miraculous Escape & Outstanding Airmanship - Video
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Jan 26, 2009, 03:36 PM

An impressive video and has fooled a lot of people (including me at first) but it pretty much a fake. They use a model to conduct the one-wing flight sequence and blurr the picture at the transitions between real and model. There is a video of the model alone around somewhere. Due to scaling factors the model has enough power to compensate for the loss of the wing, along with getting some lift from the fuselage when flown edge on.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 04:18 PM

How 'bout this one:
    F-15 Landing with One Wing. Real Story. - Video

Jan 27, 2009, 07:23 AM

Yes, if one has sufficient excess power and, in particular, a bit of a lifting body fuselage, one can get away with a lot of stuff. Note that, in the film, the analysis by the M-D personnel credited the wide body of the plane with providing the needed lift. In fact you really don't need "wings" to fly, but it gets a bit tricky. You might find Lifting body - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia of interest. Note the comment on the F-15 incident at the bottom.

I fall for this bogus stuff myself occasionally... especially in the morning before coffee. But for things like this, a reasonable feel for physics, and, sometimes, history, helps. Also Google relevant topics and you often find contrary information.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 10:15 AM

I can't say its bogus, the F15. I agree the body provided much of the lift, appears to have more surface area than a wing.
    As far as History, I have visualized many flying machines that later proved possible.
    All were small flying craft.

Jan 27, 2009, 02:34 PM

I apparently was unclear. The F-15 thing is a real event. No doubt about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aircraft pollution? [ 3 Answers ]

I live directly in line with a the main runway at an International airport and about 8 Km from it. We see a yellow substance on our cars and laundry. Could this be from pollution of the aircraft?

Aircraft emission [ 3 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

Quantas Aircraft Has Forced Landing [ 8 Answers ]

:eek: You've got to give some praise to the pilot here, he's got to have acted pretty fast to avoid a tragedy! BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Hole forces Qantas plane to land I love the line; "Upon disembarkation, there were some passengers who vomited. You can see in their faces that...

Aircraft emission [ 6 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

Left Wing/Right Wing Or How About A Drumstick? [ 10 Answers ]

I've been following some of the political threads with some interest... Just wondering where some of the regulars see themselves on the ol' political spectrum. Left Wing, Right Wing or planted firmly in the Center, I'd like to know where you see yourself fitting in and perhaps an anecdotal...

View more questions Search