Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JennaJune Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2006, 07:29 PM
    New Jersey Lost Lease and backed out roommate
    Hi all..

Just wanted some advice/information..

1st - I'm from NJ and she is from Mass.

Me and my roommate signed a lease for July 1st (in NJ) - I moved in on the 10th and she was planning to move in around the 26th... on about the 22nd she told me that she wasn't coming to NJ and that she wasn't going to screw me on the rent - but she wasn't moving in - and that I should try to find another roommate...

Well - about a week after that (a few days ago) my landlord calls me and tells me that the lease was in a bag that got stolen out of his car (mind you, I never received a copy of the lease)...

What to do??

My plan is to move out this week and tell my landlord that 1) there's no lease - and 2) me and my roommate went in on this as a joint venture - and I can't pay the rent by myself - and we should just both cut our losses - its an easy place to rent -

Someone told me that she wasn't liable to pay the rent because her residency is in another state - and it's the 3rd and I still haven't received her rent for this month...

Any suggestions/info??
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2006, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaJune
    someone told me that she wasn't liable to pay the rent because her residency is in another state -
    This is simply not true. If she signed the lease for the apartment she is responsible.

This is a tricky situation. You've taken possession, so could be held liable as if being in a verbal month to month occupancy... and worse yet, if they find that lease, then you could be responsible for the entire period.

I would definitely speak to the landlord to see what he might do for you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2006, 05:28 AM
    Give the landlord notice that you are moving out on 9/1 and see what happens from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer backed up into toliets and tub [ 3 Answers ]

I was washing the other day and heard water running. The toilet and bath tub was filling up with water. Went out to garage and washer drain was making a gurgling sound. Was wondering what I should do to fix this? This has never happened before. Carol

My cat IS on the lease but my roommate wants it gone! [ 20 Answers ]

I just moved into an apt 3 weeks ago. It's a 2bdrm roommate situation. The landlord let the other roommate advertise and choose the person she would be living with (me!). Her ad said "pets are allowed but need to be discussed." We discussed my cat and how attached I am and that I would only take...

I've terminated a lease but roommate refuses to move out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a roommate which I've given a 30 day notice in writing to terminate the lease agreement (I've posted on the door and had a witness sign it who viewed me posting it to the front of the door since the roommate and I don't get along and my fiancé an I want to live alone and start a family. ...

Washer drain backed up [ 5 Answers ]

When my washer drains, it backs up into my nearby heating duct. My home is a slab home. Without tearing up the floor, how can I tell if I have a leak in my drain or if it is just clogged?

Showers backed up [ 1 Answers ]

While I was taking a shower last night, my wife flushed the toilet in our other bathroom and the toilet in the bathroom I was in started gurgling. After the gurgling stopped the shower would not drain. I used a plunger on the drain in the tub and it would not drain. Now the shower in the other...

View more questions Search