Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandraf46 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 10:50 PM
    Twisted fishing line
    How do you put on new fishing line on your reel without having the line twist upon itself after you cast and reel in with a spinner? Sometimes the leader line will also twist. Help.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 12:45 AM

As an old fishermen that grew up on a creek that has been a pain for a long time. Now a days you can have the tackle shop take your old line off and out a new line on. There are also newer advance line that twist less.
    When you put the new line it really takes two people. The trick is to have a stick or smooth rod go through the new line spool so it can spin off straight and not twist it off its end and spin the line around. The other part to this is as you wind it up on your reel you need to put some tension on it with your other hand so it snugs tight on the new wraps. If they are to loosely put on the reel then it's a pain later when you cast and retrieve the line.
    Is this an open face reel or a closed face reel?
    If it old line new would be much better. If it new and you spun it of the new reel it came on and didn't use a rod to let the knew spool spin off it while it was going on your reel that already would put some twist on it.

Reasons fishing line keeps twisting

1. Old line on reel needs changed.
    2. Line on reel is to high of test line "thick" for fishing reel spool size.
    3. New line was put on twisted from new spool.
    4. When you retrieve line after casting slack line was reeled up under no tension for the first couple of wraps and now its to loose on spool.
    5. Depending on the size of spoon or spinner a bigger swivel should be used or two small ones

If the line is knew and is basically sized right for the real your are using then find a very long field and let the end of the line out and start walking. Now with it just about all out and no weight on the end wind it up fairly slowly and with other hand having tension on it and get a god firm wraps on the reel. This will help take out the twist in the line. A long parking lot would work better. The better the ground for the line to undo some twist the better. Especially when the end gets closer to the reel
    So let me know what kind of reel you have.
    Open face is the one you can see the line.
    Closed face is not seeing the line.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Jan 25, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    As an old fishermen that grew up on a creek that has been a pain for a long time. Now a days you can have the tackle shop take your old line off and out a new line on. There are also newer advance line that twist less.
    When you put the new line it really takes two people. The trick is to have a stick or smooth rod go through the new line spool so it can spin off straight and not twist it off its end and spin the line around. The other part to this is as you wind it up on your reel you need to put some tension on it with your other hand so it snugs tight on the new wraps. If they are to loosely put on the reel then its a pain later when you cast and retrieve the line.
    Is this an open face reel or a closed face reel?
    if it old line new would be much better. If it new and you spun it of the new reel it came on and didn't use a rod to let the knew spool spin off of it while it was going on your reel that already would put some twist on it.

Reasons fishing line keeps twisting

1. Old line on reel needs changed.
    2. Line on reel is to high of test line "thick" for fishing reel spool size.
    3. New line was put on twisted from new spool.
    4. When you retrieve line after casting slack line was reeled up under no tension for the first couple of wraps and now its to loose on spool.
    5. Depending on the size of spoon or spinner a bigger swivel should be used or two small ones

If the line is knew and is basically sized right for the real your are using then find a very long field and let the end of the line out and start walking. Now with it just about all out and no weight on the end wind it up fairly slowly and with other hand having tension on it and get a god firm wraps on the reel. This will help take out the twist in the line. A long parking lot would work better. The better the ground for the line to undo some twist the better. Especially when the end gets closer to the reel
    So let me know what kind of reel you have.
    Open face is the one you can see the line.
    Closed face is not seeing the line.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Thank you for your detailed answer. Your suggestions are very helpful.
    I have an open face reel. I've tried to put on the new line from the spool many different ways and still got the same results. I put the line with the line coming off the top and the bottom of the spool. I've tried to put the line on the reel following the curl of the new line. I use the pole when putting on the new line and also put some tension on the line by running the line between some pages of the phone book. After many tries I went to the fishing store, bought some good line (10.00 a spool) and had them put it on for me. It's 10 lb test line and my reel is a Okuma Avenger AV40a. The gear ratio is 5.0.l and line capacity is 190 yards. I use a 7 ft pole and whip along the shoreline on Oahu. I'm able to fish year round because of our good weather. Going to the beach and ending up with twisted line is frustrating when the water is so beautiful and you know there is a fish out there waiting for you. Thank you again.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 11:34 PM

I would go to the tackle shop and complain maybe. Take some line off the real that will help some what. If its constantly curling up that line is shot. On a side not check this out.
    I see you are in Hawaii. My wife sister lives there. On a side not check this out.
    We buy Orange Roughy fish here since flounder is so expansive. I didn't know what the fish was and looked it up. What you buy at the store the fish may be older than your parents or grandparents.

Orange roughy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hear in Pa. Md. There was a fish loose by and Asian that have basically started the death of most all fish in the biggest Estuary in the U.S.

Snakehead Fish

Jan 26, 2009, 09:46 PM
    I would go to the tackle shop and complain maybe. Take some line off of the real that will help some what. If its constantly curling up that line is shot. On a side not check this out.
    I see you are in Hawaii. My wife sister lives there. On a side not check this out.
    We buy Orange Roughy fish here since flounder is so expansive. I didn't know what the fish was and looked it up. What you buy at the store the fish may be older than your parents or grandparents.

Orange roughy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hear in Pa. Md. there was a fish loose by and Asian that have basically started the death of most all fish in the biggest Estuary in the U.S.

Snakehead Fish
    I hope your sister takes advantage of the weather and the beaches and goes fishing also. Yes, I've heard about the snakehead fish. We have an introduced fish that was let loose in the streams and have taken over and we don't see many of the native river fishes any more. The line that was put in by the tackle store is okay. I wanted to learn how to put on the line myself and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Thank you.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 10:34 PM

Do you know what species of fish that is?
    My wife sister has been living there for over 25 years now.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Jan 27, 2009, 07:42 AM

The Snake Heads are in the Potomac, big time, and so far the Bass fishing is unaffected. However, we are going through a cycle of heavy aquatic vegetation that may be providing cover for the Bass. Snake Heads up to 30" are being caught. Some fishermen are targeting them. The fish 's heads reall do do look like a snake... like pictures of an Anaconda .

I have never properly solved the line tangle thing. One thing you can do after the fact is to let the line, with nothing on the end, play out behind a slow moving boat, or down a moving stream for a while and then bring it back in.

I have also heard that reeling in while the fish is pulling against the drag further tangles the line. Since there is no reason to reel when the drag is working, this is a no-brainer anyway, but I see people do it al the time.

Nice to fish all year. Tight lines.
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 08:26 AM

The snake head more than likely will kill most all fish eat swims in. in it natural environment it had predators
    The Snake head was originally found in a pond in MD and the person that put them there was an Asian. He had illegally bought them form his Asian buds from California and got them because his mother was sick. They use snake heads for meds in Asia. Well bu the time he got them is mom got better so he chucked them in a pond. A snake head can live out of water for 12 hrs or more on a deck and then put back in the water and live. They can also go across land to others waters. The Giant snake head was found in U.S. waters. So here we have it
    Not to pick on anybody here we have the Zebra mussels that are killing the great lakes. We have bars on our cities downtown home like Mexico and Puerto Rico. We have a 3rd world happening our streets. We now have the cochi frog in Hawaii from Puerto Rico taking over that island. We have in Florida and over in the other see a marine/freshwater plant that was designed for aquariums that got loose and it literally blankets the sea bottom and it now for MILES of no sea life food chain is stopped and choke out. So the U.S. Is battling now on land and sea that will ruin our land and Waters because of the third worlds peoples here and the U.S. On land and its waters are dying
    Bummer!!

Jan 27, 2009, 09:56 PM
    Do you know what species of fish that is?
    My wife sister has been living there for over 25 years now.
    The invasive aquarium fish is plecostomus, armor plated catfish. It was taken over many of our streams and we see less of the native species. A stream near us has small mouth bass and red ciclids, but we fish in the ocean and only go to the stream when we are desperate to fish. I hope you visit your sister and go fishing.

Jan 27, 2009, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyYakker View Post
    The Snake Heads are in the Potomac, big time, and so far the Bass fishing is unaffected. However, we are going through a cycle of heavy aquatic vegetation that may be providing cover for the Bass. Snake Heads up to 30" are being caught. Some fishermen are targeting them. The fish 's heads reall do do look like a snake...like pictures of an Anaconda .

I have never properly solved the line tangle thing. One thing you can do after the fact is to let the line, with nothing on the end, play out behind a slow moving boat, or down a moving stream for a while and then bring it back in.

I have also heard that reeling in while the fish is pulling against the drag further tangles the line. Since there is no reason to reel when the drag is working, this is a no-brainer anyway, but I see people do it al the time.

Nice to fish all year. Tight lines.
    I don't quite understand about the drag. When I have a fish on the line, I will play the fish and use the pole to wear down the fish, but I will tighten the drag slightly if the fish is too strong and takes out too much line. Yes, we're able to fish in Hawaii year round, but don't go out as often during the winter months because it's colder (don't laugh it gets to low 60s at night), more rain and the tide is not as good as the summer months. We don't have a boat and only shore-cast. Although we might try kayak fishing in calmer waters.
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 11:15 PM

They way to set a drag perfectly is to tie your line to a tree and watch your eyes here and pull with pole pointing at tree and pull and adjust the drag tighter and tighter as you pull and the line snaps. This is the a bit over on the drag. Loosen drag a bit retie line to tree and pull straight again it should not snap no matter how hard you pull. This balances the drag perfectly to the test line you have on your reel. Now that you are very close to balanced drag its time to return it to the pole it is on. Many Times I switch reels to other poles or buy an extra spool for the sane reel and that works for different types of fishing without buying a different added reel. This is why the below is important to balance the reel or change of spool of heaver line to the same pole.

The other factor is the pole rated for the angel it will bend with out braking. The way to check that is now tie line to tree and pull at a 45 degree angel and if the pole seems over stressed and close to breaking loosen drag slowly and as you let of pressure and re yank gently and when the drag slips now the POLE is in perfect adjustment to test ls on reel. The pole bend is important because I seen many of fishermen adjust there drag to lb test line they put on by HE forgot the actual pole bending in relation to the drag and brakes his pole with fish on.

You must live up a bit in the high ground to get in the 60s I partly live now in Puerto Rico and have many friends there. One of them was a lobster fisherman and Ive been out on his boat to get lobster. One day he got two 11lbs lobsters. The weather believe it or not is warmer than your island it is closer to the equator then Hawaii
    The other question is how do you tie the line on the hook and what rig setup do you have as far as bottom and raised bottom fishing in the surf. I done a Ton of surf fishing in my life I'm over 50. The coolest thing that I experienced in surf fishing was I met a older man when I was young and we were fishing side bi side. I was about 10 or 11. He was one of the inventors of the injection seats of the jets.
    What kind of fish do you catch there?

Jan 28, 2009, 10:48 PM
    They way to set a drag perfectly is to tie your line to a tree and watch your eyes here and pull with pole pointing at tree and pull and adjust the drag tighter and tighter as you pull and the line snaps. This is the a bit over on the drag. loosen drag a bit retie line to tree and pull straight again it should not snap no matter how hard you pull. This balances the drag perfectly to the test line you have on your reel. Now that you are very close to balanced drag its time to return it to the pole it is on. Many Times I switch reels to other poles or buy an extra spool for the sane reel and that works for different types of fishing without buying a different added reel. This is why the below is important to balance the reel or change of spool of heaver line to the same pole.

The other factor is the pole rated for the angel it will bend with out braking. The way to check that is now tie line to tree and pull at a 45 degree angel and if the pole seems over stressed and close to breaking loosen drag slowly and as you let of pressure and re yank gently and when the drag slips now the POLE is in perfect adjustment to test ls on reel. The pole bend is important because I seen many of fishermen adjust there drag to lb test line they put on by HE forgot the actual pole bending in relation to the drag and brakes his pole with fish on.

You must live up a bit in the high ground to get in the 60s I partly live now in Puerto Rico and have many friends there. One of them was a lobster fisherman and Ive been out on his boat to get lobster. One day he got two 11lbs lobsters. The weather believe it or not is warmer than your island it is closer to the equator then Hawaii
    The other question is how do you tie the line on the hook and what rig setup do you have as far as bottom and raised bottom fishing in the surf. I done a Ton of surf fishing in my life I'm over 50. The coolest thing that I experienced in surf fishing was I met a older man when I was young and we were fishing side bi side. I was about 10 or 11. He was one of the inventors of the injection seats of the jets.
    What kind of fish do you catch there?
    How did your friend catch the big lobsters--did he use cages?
    I thread the leader line into the eye from the back of the hook and then hold down the line to the shaft and twirl the line around the shaft about 6 times. Then I take the other end of the leader line and thread it through the eye. This will secure the line around the shaft of the hook. I use a crane swivel and attach the leader line (about 24 inches) and the lead (5/8 to 7/8 oz) to the swivel. I usually whip/dunk. I will throw the line into a sand pocket or next to a reef and let the lead sink and then flip the bale. I will let the line sit there for 5 minutes or so. If I don't get a bite, I throw in another area. I will walk the beach doing this. Sometimes I will whip only--depending on the terrain and depth of water. I use a 10lb test main line and a 8 lb leader line and use a 7 ft pole.
    My favorite fish to catch is the papio (under 10 lb trevally). The prize fish to catch here is the ulua (over 10lb trevally). This fish is very smart and will fight hard and good to eat. Because they attack their prey, sometimes you will catch them when you are retreiving your line. I also like to catch moi (threadfin). They don't fight as well, but are very good to eat. The bonefish is also fun to catch. They fight well, but are not as fun to catch as the papio. They will usually pull straight out or make a run to the shore. The papio will go from side to side and will even go around a rock so that your line will get stuck. My son once had an ulua strike on his big pole (12 feet). The fish took all his line out, he couldn't turn the head of the fish, he couldn't thumb the line with his shirt to slow down the fish and the line just snapped off the reel when all the line was out. It was exciting because at the same time two of us had moi on our lines and we were trying to bring those up also. Fishing is fun, but then you know that already. I would appreciate your comments/suggestions regarding my rigging or throwing technique. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Twisted Penis [ 2 Answers ]

At my 13 yr. old son's physical last week the Dr. said that my son's penis appeared twisted. The Dr. had noticed this at a previous physical, but apparently now my son's penis seems to be more noticeably twisted. What could cause this & should I be worried?

Force and fishing line, can someone tell me the answer? [ 1 Answers ]

A fisherman yanks a fish out of the water with an acceleration of 5.2 m/s2 using a very light fishing line that has a "test" value of 31 N. The fisherman unfortunately loses the fish as the line snaps. What is the minimum mass of the fish?

Very twisted, yet peaceful [ 17 Answers ]

OK, I was in an abusive marriage for 5 years. My husband was basically the cycle of abuse to the hilt! During my twisted marriage, I reconnected with one of my friends from high school (a guy). My husband encouraged this relationship and would tell me to call my friend when he did not want to deal...

Twisted Ex [ 6 Answers ]

Can my soon to be ex husband have me ordered to take a drug test during our divorce? He is trying to make me out to be a bad mom so he can get custody of our son so he is trying every thing possible to do it. (I am not a drug user by the way) He is also going to try and have me ordered to have a...

View more questions Search