Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsshome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 08:12 PM
    Heating efficiently in 2 zones - heat pump and gas
    I live in a 2 story (plus basement) single family home and am trying to determine the most efficient (energy and cost) way to heat my home in cold weather. I have 2 heating/cooling zones - a gas furnace which heats the basement and first floor, and heat pump for the 2nd floor, where the bedrooms are. At night I typically turn down the furnace and turn up the heat pump thermostat - and do the opposite during the day. On most cold nights the auxiliary heat runs for much of the night. Am I better off keeping the furnace running more so the gas heat rises and takes some load off the heat pump, or is it best to just let the auxiliary heat do it's job and save the gas?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Every home is different and there is no set rule except to say that gas is usually cheaper than running the auxilery heat.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jan 27, 2009, 11:38 AM

If you post your NG and KWH costs including taxes, the AFUE of your furnace and SEER/HSPF of your heat pump I can reply with some calculations that will give you a ballpark. In some locales different heat sources have such as discrepancy that sometimes one is significantly cheaper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump not heating [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tempstar heat pump It uses both gas and electricity to heat and cool. I put a new Honywell thermosta RTH6300B on the unit, now I don't get any hot air only cold. This I a four wire unit, red, white yellow and green. Anyone know why it won't heat, was working before but fan did not work...

Heat pump not heating properly [ 6 Answers ]

My Carrier heat pump is not working properly. The air flow coming out the vents is drastically lower than it normally is. The maximum room temperature achivable is 65 degrees when the outside temperature is 20 degrees even when the auxiliary heat is on and with constant running. The air filters...

Heat pump is cooling but not heating [ 5 Answers ]

I've noticed since winter has started my heat pump is not acting correctly. I have troubleshot the problem and cooling is indeed working fine. Although, when you switch to heating, the outside unit engages but the temperature at the register never rises above room temp. When you set it on...

Heating & Air conditioning: Heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

How heat pump work on HVAC system ? Thanks

My heat pump AC works but not on heating cycle [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house in AZ and there are 2 Lennox (sic?) heat/AC pumps, one for each floor... it has 2 Honeywell TH8000 thermostats. Last winter there wasn't any problems but tonight it started getting cold so I turned it from cool setting to heat, I can hear relays in the TS click and it says...

View more questions Search