Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dalmarie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 07:27 PM
    How do I know who claimed my son last year?
    I told my aunt she could claim my son to help us out with some money. She gave me the money and now this year she is saying that they never gave her the money for my son so I owe her that money this year when I file taxes. How do I find out if she really did or did not get the money for my son? :confused:
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Well, ask to see a copy of her tax return. If she listed him as a dependent it will be right on the front of the form.

There are fairly strict guidelines when claiming dependants. One of them is the percentage of money spent, but the critical one is, "How long the dependant lived with the person." If your son did not live with your Aunt for over 6 months of the tax year, then he would not qualify as a dependent for her.

P.S. Be aware, if your Aunt was unable to claim your son last year, then you should file an Amended 1040 for tax year 2007 and take the deduction for yourself.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Generally, to claim a niece or nephew, the aunt has to have custody of the child.

It is possible the IRS denied the exemption because she could provide no proof that she had the required custody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who claimed my son? [ 2 Answers ]

I just want to know who could give me the answers to who claimed my son on their taxes? I didn't work last year because I was in school fulltime and I asked a family member to claim my son on her taxes and she waited until it was too late to ask anyone to claim my son to tell me that she didn't...

See if I was claimed as a dependent [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know if I was claimed as a dependent on someone's taxes to see if I can get my tax rebate stimulius check.

How do I file my taxes if I worked all year but my dad claimed me to? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know how to do that.Please help.

Who claimed them? [ 4 Answers ]

I went to claim my kids on my taxes and it came up that somebody had already claimed them without my knowledge. How do I find out who claimed them?

Some one claimed my son [ 1 Answers ]

I have been living with my fiancée since my son was a newborn, but this year when he tried to claim my son on his income tax it was denied because some one else had claimed him. I went to the IRS website and there is a form you can fill out stating someone committed tax fraud--- but you have to...

View more questions Search