Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    villalobc438 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 06:37 PM
    How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive
    How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after booting the system all the way. I first tried fdisk command but that command was not recognized. What should I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2009, 06:39 PM

Boot to your XP CD and use that to do a clean reinstall.
    loopy123 Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2009, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by villalobc438 View Post
    how do i format a hard drive on a dell dimension 8110 with windows xp home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when i do i get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after booting the system all the way. I first tried fdisk command but that command was not recognized. What should i do?
    Try making a bootable cd, with nero, and make sure all the hardware drivers are included. Failing that, contact the manufacturer.

Jan 25, 2009, 11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by loopy123 View Post
    try making a bootable cd, with nero, and make sure all the hardware drivers are included. Failing that, contact the manufacturer.
    Thanks loopy123! I will give it a shot and hope for the best. As for contacting the manufacturer, I tried that already and they won't help unless I pay a fee because the system's warranty's expired.

Jan 26, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by villalobc438 View Post
    Thanks loopy123! I will give it a shot and hope for the best. As for contacting the manufacturer, I tried that already and they won't help unless I pay a fee because the system's warranty's expired.

Do you have your XP CD? Or a Recovery disk?

Why are you trying to format it?

Jan 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
    I'm formatting because my nephew downloaded a bunch of crap from the internet and I want a clean start. It's pretty slow due to all the stuff in it and nearly all of it is useless. Also want to upgrade the OS to Vista and yes, I have all the necessary disks to install the new OS.

Jan 26, 2009, 02:57 PM

Ok, if what you want is to upgrade to Vista, just boot with your Vista CD in the drive. When it asks, tell it you want to do a clean install. This will format the drive prior to installing wiping out whatever is on there.

Jan 27, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scottgem View Post
    ok, if what you want is to upgrade to vista, just boot with your vista cd in the drive. When it asks, tell it you want to do a clean install. This will format the drive prior to installing wiping out whatever is on there.
    In my humble opinion you will regret it if you use vista, to many bugs, wait until the operating system is released or try the beta version which is free on line from micrsoft.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 27, 2009, 04:33 PM
    in my humble opinion you will regret it if you use vista, to many bugs, wait until the operating system is released or try the beta version which is free on line from micrsoft.
    Loopy, I think you are confusing Vista with Windows7.

Vista was released Jan 2007 (TWO years ago) and already has a service pack for download and bug fixes.

That being said if this machine originally had XP installed I would recommend sticking with it as you may encounter hardware issues with a upgrade due to incompatibility with drivers.

Jan 27, 2009, 04:39 PM
    Correct, but like all Microsoft poducts they will be bug fixing for two more years. Look at xp they are still posting bug fixes now, and how long has xp been floating around??

Feb 9, 2009, 01:33 AM
    With all due respect to curlyben how about replying to my last posting in relation to windows xp please
    BossMan

Feb 9, 2009, 01:48 AM
    with all due respect to curlyben how about replying to my last posting in relation to windows xp please
    You mean this:
    Correct, but like all microsoft poducts they will be bug fixing for two more years. Look at xp they are still posting bug fixes now, and how long has xp been floating around???????
    What's to respond to ?
    ALL software, whether it's OS or applications, have fixes posted regularly.

Show me a system that does NOT and I'll show you a company that doesn't invest in development.

Ps XP has been around since October 2001.

Feb 9, 2009, 01:53 AM
    I beg to differ because Microsoft are withdrawing any further patches etc. For win98
    BossMan

Feb 9, 2009, 02:13 AM
    Win98 has End of Lifed (July 2006), hence no more development is being done.
    The same goes for Win3.1, 95, ME, NT.

What's your point here?

Feb 9, 2009, 02:19 AM

Whilst there are people using these old interfaces, because of financial constraints, support should be fgorthcoming.

If not, to quote you.
    "Show me a system that does NOT and I'll show you a company that doesn't invest in development"

Do you include Microsoft in your definition?

Feb 9, 2009, 02:21 AM
    Sorry about the spelling I forgot to proof read.:cool:

Does it matter what I do as long as people are happy with the answers I give. Everything I do has a purpose.
    Is that not the same with you?

And yes it does come naturally that is why I am so good at it. It has taken me 60 years to perfect it.
    BossMan

Feb 9, 2009, 02:22 AM
    Loopy, are you being obtuse on purpose, or does it just come naturally ?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 05:56 AM
    Look at xp they are still posting bug fixes now,
    Just to correct you, most of the time it's patches to plug security holes that hackers have found and can exploit. Windows is a big target for this because it has the largest installed base by far. Macs and all Linux flavours also have regular security updates - it's normal.

Feb 9, 2009, 10:03 AM
    whilst there are people using these old interfaces, because of financial constaints, support should be fgorthcoming.
    I disagree. Companies need to invest in future development. Old products cannot be expected to be supported forever. NO company, supports older products forever.

does it matter what i do as long as people are happy with the answers i give. everything i do has a purpose.
    is that not the same with you?
    This assume that people ARE happy with the answers. Your answers in this thread were inaccurate and misinformed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need to format my hard drive. [ 4 Answers ]

Good day, I'm building a computer for my son. I want to load xp pro on to it; it's one of the early xp pro which needs 6 floppies to start loading. The hard drive I have has some rubbish on it which prevents cd from starting after loading the floppies. I only have a laptop running at present, is...

Can't format Hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Installed a different hard drive into my computer and it will not let me format it. When I get into my computer it shows it as my "C" drive. And that it is a 80 G hard drive, but I have doubled checked the hard drive and it is labeled as a 40 g hard drive. When I check the properties it shows...

How to format hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Gateway desktop. How do I re-format hard drive? I get message saying it is being used by another application when I know it isn't.

How to format Hard drive? [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I was rebooting my PC, I entered DOS Prompt and format my other partitions except C:, which was when formatted answer was that it is used by other programs. If somebody help me out?

How do I format my hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed at moment a version of windows xp pro and it is in german I have acquired a english version called winborg allin one and it tells me to format before inserting the disc but when I click on the hd it comes up in german telling me something about closing windows but I cannot...

View more questions Search