Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    realm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Wiring Bath Fan/Light
    I just purchased a NuTone fan/light combo to replace an old one in the bathroom. When I installed it and turned it on, only the fan worked. The wires are hooked up properly to the fixture, however, the switch doesn't match the instructions. They call for a red wire attached to the switch. My switch only has black wires even though there is a red wire hooked to the fan light. I am confused. Can you help?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Well, the colors usually jive but nothing is written in stone. The manufacturer cannot dictate what someone is going to run in the walls.

Start by telling us exactly what wires you have at the switch box and at the fan/lt.
    realm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Well, the colors usually jive but nothing is written in stone. The manufacturer cannot dictate what someone is going to run in the walls.

Start by telling us exactly what wires you have at the switch box and at the fan/lt.
    The wiring to the fan has a red wire, a white wire, and a black wire. The red ataches to blue, white to the two whites and black to black. At the switch, (there are two switches), there are black wires attached to the switch itself. The other switch which controls a separate light fixture has a red wire and a black wire. All of the white wires anre hooked together behind the switches and are not attached to anything else. My confusion comes from the fact that there is a red wire to attach to the fan/light but not to the switch. The fan/light instructions mention a switch that allows three hook ups (red and two black). (But I have no idea what happens to the red wire once I get to the switch area.) I am not sure if you can picture this or help but I really appreciate the effort. The previous fan/light worked with the set up as is at the switch. Is it possible that the red wire that goes to the other light switch actually should be used to power the other (new) fan/light? The other light works fine and the switch that powers it does not have any effect on the fan/light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20A 12 ga bath circuit to 14 ga for light and fan? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have rewired my bath to a dedicated 20A 12ga line. Power goes to a 20A GFCI outlet. Can I run 14 ga from the GFCI to a 20A 3-way light switch and a separate 14 ga to a 20A exhaust fan switch? Both will be pigtailed off the GFCI. Thanks a million!

Bath Light/Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I am attempting to switch a double-switch in a single gang box that controls the light and fan in my bathroon to 2 single switches in a double gang box. There are 2 sets of wires coming into the box. One has a black, white and ground. The other has a black, white, ground and red. ...

Sconce light by bath tub [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a wall sconce light 5 feet above the bath tub rim. Will this meet code in California? Thanks

Bath wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling an old bathroom. My new plan includes a GFCI outllet at the sink and downstream an exhaust fan with integral light and nightlight, and a separate shower light. How is the switching typically set up? i.e. Both lights and fan on at the same time, or switched on individually? Also my...

View more questions Search