Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    felix martinez Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 07:44 AM
    401 Withdrawal & Transfer to IRA Account
    401k has dropped from 184k to around 100k.

I have resigned employment with the company. If I roll over 401k assets to an IRA. Will the lower existing amount be transferred and the loss recognized or can the amount still have a chance to rise to previous higher amounts?

If the existing amount is recognized, is the lost amount tax deductible?:confused::confused:
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 04:45 PM

Whenever you roll from one account to another the amount available to roll over is the market value of the account when it rolls. So in your case your new rollover IRA would start with $100K. You can not take a tax deduction on the loss, because any gains or losses are defered until you make a withdrawal, and then all withdrawals are taxed at ordinary income rates, not capital gains rates.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2009, 04:52 PM

I had similar concerns, but a financial manager pointed out to me that even though your 401k nvestments would be sold low, you would also be buying low in the replacement securities you purchase for your IRA.

As ebaines said, any losses are paper losses and not deductible at this time.

Jan 25, 2009, 07:26 AM
    Thank you very much for your input! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Whenever you roll from one account to another the amount available to roll over is the market value of the account when it rolls. So in your case your new rollover IRA would start with $100K. You can not take a tax deduction on the loss, because any gains or losses are defered until you make a withdrawal, and then all withdrawals are taxed at ordinary income rates, not capital gains rates.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 07:31 AM

Yes, remember this is the risk with any investment, and the reason also if and when things go back up, they can go back up even better depending on the investments the account is put in.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2009, 08:14 AM

Comments on this post
    felix martinez agrees: Great. Thanks. One last question. Since the market has been dropping I changed my future contributions to very conservative. Will the previous aggressive allocations remain so that they can possibly rise aggressively again? Thanks for your help.

First, don't use the comments feature for asking a follow-up. Use the Answer This Question options.

Changing your future contributions doesn't change the balances of previous contributions.

Jan 25, 2009, 10:23 AM
    Thanks for your help. It's truly appreciated. I'm a newbie, but a quick learner.

Have a great day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How is a retirement account hardship withdrawal done? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am 50 years old. I am employed with government agency. But in a kind of financial mess right now due to mismanaging and gambling my money. I have now credit card debts, personal debt, and car payment. All my debts amount to about $77,000. I have however 3 retirement account. Those have...

Tax implications of an account transfer [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first question here. I have read many topics on this forum in the past and learnt quite a bit. This is a very general tax related question. My girlfriend is moving out of the country (possibly temporarily). In the meanwhile she is keeping her bank account in the US open for...

Taxes on RollOver 401K account Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 29yrs Old and have $104K in a Rollover Account. I am buying my 1st home and would like to put down 20% and wanted to know if I took out $60K from my account WHAT WOULD I ACUTALLY GET AFTER TAXES ETC?

View more questions Search