Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MALCOLMARK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 04:22 AM
    House deceased husband
    Hello, I am contacting you on behalf of a friend who's husband recently died. She and her husband owne a house but she has been living in temporary accommodation and her husband has been living in their house alone. Three weeks before he died he changed his will and left his half of the house to his son from a previouse marriage. My friend was about to move back into her house but was told by her step son that she is not allowed to, He is also the executor of the willAny advise would be greatly appreciated
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 05:10 AM
    Hello M:

One equal co-owner cannot stop another equal co-owner from moving in. Your friend probably needs an attorney to let the son know that he can't do that crap.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2009, 06:52 AM

The first question is how the title was recorded. If the title was recorded as joint tenants with right of survivorship, that supersedes a will and the property is all hers. If there was no right of survivorship, then he could leave his half to anyone.

She has a right to see the will as well.

Howeverm excon, is right, as part owner she has the right to occupy at least part of the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immigrant Husband Adopting Deceased Man's Child [ 9 Answers ]

My child's father died in 2006. I met a wonderful man from England. He moved to Michigan to be with us. We are now married and awaiting his adjustment of status (green card) approval. He wants to adopt our son. How should we proceed? Do we need to wait for his green card? Citizenship? Can we do...

Liable for the debts of a deceased husband? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband, John, just passed away from a stroke few weeks ago. Aged 73. I am now trying to live my life with only one annuity that he purchased for me few years back. One of his credit cards has balance of $7,000 owed. Am I liable for it? Will annuity go into his estate? Thank you for your...

Am I bound to a previous bill that my now deceased husband and I signed together? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband died almost 3 years ago. There was a real estate deal that we had a second on with the original owner. We were paying him back $100.00 a month until my husband contacted a terminal illness. We got behind in our payments and the guy sued us. My husband was on disability so he couldn't...

Can my husband adopt my daughter since the biological father is deceased? [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is 9 years old and her biological father just died July 30th. My husband has been in her life for 7 years and I would like him to officially adopt her now. Also, I get social security for her every month so will that stop if my husband adopts?

View more questions Search