Jan 23, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Engraving, Artist Proof, Artist Signiture Identification
    Name:  ebay 190.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  ebay 192.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  44.0 KB

I found this artist proof at a local thrift store. It's entitled "Lady Godiva". I think it's an engraving? It's numbered a/p II 2/8. It is a very interesting piece with "erotic hidden images" throughout. Someone told me it falls into the catigory of "ambiguous erotic art". Would that be correct? The artist name is hard to read, and I have googled all the different versions I could come up with & had no luck. Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks so much!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 01:41 AM
    Hi, GlassFlower!

I can appreciate the art, but I did need to remove the first image that you posted, because this site is also used a lot by children.

It's excellent art! However, it's just a bit too risqué for this site.

I hope that you understand.

I will work on the signature thing.

Thanks!
    GlassFlower Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2009, 01:43 AM

I totally understand! Sorry about that. Thanks for your help!
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 02:05 AM

That's okay! You've not the first one to do that.

I do wish that we could go full-till here about art. But, there has to be some boundaries because there are children of a lot of different ages who frequent the site.

Many times, when I find a kid who's having some troubles of some kind in their life, I'll ask them about the ways that they might express themselves artistically. It could be in music, art, drama, writing, etc.

Frequently, I'll steer them to one of the visual art, performing arts or writing types of areas so that they can express themselves to make them feel good about themselves.

Recently, a troubled teen and I composed a song together in the Writing forum topic area. After a short while, it was the only forum topic area that she went to on this site. Appeared to be just what she needed. Some recognition for what she can do as well as having a way to express herself.

I did save that first image so I, or someone else might be able to help you.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 02:08 AM
    Is that plaster or some kind of special paper on which that art is done, please?

Thanks!
    GlassFlower Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2009, 02:21 AM

It on thick paper. Not as thick as tag board. I think it's an engraving (block engraving?) because it has an indentation edge that runs around the image and you can also see the indented pattern above the image.
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2009, 02:40 AM

Since it's not on a hard surface such as wood or metal, I think that it would be considered to be more of a line block.

line block - definition of line block by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I could be incorrect about that. I do have a friend on this site who might be more familiar with the technique as to what it actually might be. That would be jrebel7.

She's an outstanding artist and I'll let her know about your post. I'll also show her that first image. However, I do think that she's asleep by now.

Thanks!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 04:03 AM

Actually, the edge created from the paper is a classical result caused by the printmaking process. It is almost definitely a print from an etching, which was most likely done on a copper plate. Copper is the most common material used for this kind of etching. Ink is rolled over the plate, the plate is placed onto thick (and usually partially soaked paper), and they are rolled through a printing press by hand. That's also why it's likely that there are only 8 in this particular series, although others could have been made later on from the plate. The edge left in the paper is simply the indentation where the copper plate passed through the press over the paper. There's not much of an image for me to go on, but what's there looks like it fits the bill pretty exactly. I have some experience in printmaking as a fine artist. If you do find more information on your print, please come back to let us know. Best of luck.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 04:14 AM

Hi, linnealand!

I couldn't rate you after already doing it so soon earlier.

Excellent answer!

So, you do have some knowledge of the process by which something like this is produced?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 06:49 AM

hi clough! In answer to your question, yes. Most of my art related studies and studio art experience is in drawing, painting and sculpture, but I have also studio experience with a number of fields in fine art, which includes printmaking. Most of my own prints were monoprints, but I'm familiar enough with the basic methods and materials used in other kinds of printmaking to be able to recognize certain features that would identify an image as having come from a certain style of printmaking.

if you find yourself with a technical question relating to how a painting, sculpture, drawing, etc. was made, I would be more than happy to take a look at it to see if I can help. Most of my studies and my studio work run the gamut from 16th-17th century Italian and French techniques to contemporary styles, so I'm willing to take a look at anything. However, I am not an art historian or an art dealer (although I have worked for the latter, including as a curator).

I co-own an Italian design company in ironwork, so I can also try to lend a hand when it comes to reviewing pieces made in iron (including furniture, lighting, décor, iron restoration and antiques).

I am very glad that AMHD has a section dedicated to art. At the same time, I really wish that it was divided into two different parts, with one dedicated to the business side of art (which is a lot of what comes through here as questions relating to the value of pieces people already own), and the other dedicated to the making of art (which would include questions relating to techniques and act as a place to share pieces that members are working on). I think the latter often gets lost in the shuffle. Just an idea. :)

I see how much time and energy you put into the art boards, and I just want to commend you for everything you try to do here. It doesn't go unnoticed! Thanks for your dedication and your kind manner. This place would definitely not be the same without you here.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 06:55 AM

Thanks, linnealand!

Then I know that you're someone whom I can call upon when there are questions that need a certain expertise that I don't have.

Are you into any other types of art like drams, music, writing, etc.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 08:11 AM

if it has anything to do with the creative side of the brain, I'm almost always up for it. I love books with a passion. What I know the most about, by far, is poetry. I read it, I write it, I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, I have little patience when it comes to really bad poetry, but I'm still happy when people try to use it as a medium to express themselves. It seems a lot of people get use from its therapeutic value. The same goes for art in general. I used to work as a professional writer and as an editor in small literary magazines and newspapers, but I'm afraid my skills may have become a little rusty over the years. After all, most of my life takes place in another language.

I have tried to find out more about your background, but the profile feature is still down. I seem to remember reading that you're a collector or a dealer of some kind. Is that right? In any case, I do know you're an interesting fellow. I'm sure an interesting life must follow. :)
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Please click HERE about me.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 09:43 AM

Wonderful! I feel like I have a much better sense of you now. It's really a pleasure! You are also just as sweet as honey. Thanks so much for sharing, clough!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Painting/artist identification [ 2 Answers ]

I inherited these three paintings recently. Has anyone ever seen similar paintings or recognize this artist?

Signature/Artist Identification [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received the following painting from my Grandmother and need help identifying the artist (see attached signature and painting images). My knowledge of the painting's history is limited. It was previously acquired by the daughter of Emerson Price (book critic of the Cleveland Press). ...

Identifying artist signiture [ 1 Answers ]

Hello can any one shed any light on an artist name it looks like AA R FFONS and the painting is of a child's head it's a very dark painting Thank you

Identifiying an artist signiture LDAM [ 1 Answers ]

I have a still life oil painting of what looks like an old Farmhouse room, There seems to be an alcove in the main room where there is a table, and a chair, on top of the alcove there is a shelf with bowls and a cross. The signature is in the bottom right corner with the letters LDAM, I'm not...

View more questions Search