Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unspeakable Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 07:19 AM
    How do I tell my mom I'm very depressed and I cut myself?
    I've been depressed for as long as I can remember, I think since at least 4th grade maybe longer. I'm currently in the middle of freshman year and I've restarted cutting myself a couple of months ago. I've also been taking tests to see how depressed am I and so far I'm either serious or very depressed. I tried once or twice to tell my mom but because of all the with my father (their divorced) I decide not to. I don't want to make her feel any worse because of me. I want her to know but I don't want to hurt her.
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Jan 23, 2009, 07:48 AM

How about starting with "Mom, I love you and I need you" then tell her and seek medical help so you can start on the road to recovery. You've taken the first step and know there is a problem, it sounds like you would like support from your family which is good but they can't support you if they don't know. Tell your mom and have her help you find the assistance you need, you're going to hurt her more by continuing to cut yourself than you would by telling her you need her. Follow through on the treatments/therapy/medication, whatever a doctor feels is the best course of action. Only you can lead the way out of your depression, other people can offer assistance but you ultimately decide whether to accept it.
    Ber
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2009, 02:22 PM

It is your mother's job and duty to take care of you when you are sick. Tell her that you are having a big problem and would she help you with it.

It is much easier for people to deal with problems when they are out in the open than when there are secrets and hidden emotions.

Best wishes in the future, :)
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jan 25, 2009, 11:36 PM

Honey, I am the mother of 3. My oldest is 16, and if she ever had a problem like this I pray she would come and tell me so that I could get her help! Your Mother is the one person in this world that will always love you NO MATTER WHAT and would do anything she could to help you. Sweetie... trust that your Mom loves you and go tell her right now. This can get more serious if it continues and then She will be asking herself " why didn't she tell me? what did I do wrong to make her think I wouldn't understand and help her? Why didn't I see the signs telling me something is wrong? "... Go tell her, now, right now... and tell her you need her help and there's nothing she won't do for you... I promise! Good luck... PLEASE GET HELP!

Jan 27, 2009, 10:51 AM

I was able to tell her over the weekend that I all the tests I've taken on depression all said I was either seriously or very depressed. But I'm afraid of what will happen if I tell her I cut because we had this issue before and she started crying when she found out but I had stopped before hand. And nothing happened... I don't want to make her even more depressed
    Dr Alli Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 03:47 PM
    There is no way to control how your mom is going to feel, and you are not responsible for her reaction. Do the best to break it to her gently, but if you want to get help, this may be the only way to go about it.
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jan 27, 2009, 09:56 PM

She is going to be there for you... she may be depressed and cry, I would too! It's very scary to see your child go through something like this and feel so helpless to do anything about it. Her feelings are her responsibility. I'm glad to see that you are sweet and caring, but there comes a point where you have to allow her to be the adult and work through her own side of it herself. Try to explain how you feel when you cut yourself, try to help her understand. Together, you can do anything! She's your Mom!
    Chin-Chee Posts: 51, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 02:10 PM

U know just to start you are not alone! I've been going through about the same thing you are, if you need to maybe talk to a teacher you trust, sometimes that helps then, they usually contact your mom or dad and then they know so its not as nerve racking as you think it might be 2 tell her. Good luck! Message me or anything if you need any help!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 04:10 PM

Tell her and don't keep this bottled up. Cutting is very dangerous because even though your not intending on killing yourself something bad can still happen and there have been cases when people have bleed to death. Also, sooner or later your mom will see the scars.

Life is stressful and cutting yourself isn't giving make the problem go away. I be stressed half of the day and I've suffered from depression before. Counselling helped and exercising helped me relieved a lot of tension and stress.

Right now you need another outlet instead of cutting yourself. When I am feeling down and out sometimes I write or listen to some uplifting music. Also, drawing helps. What do you like to do? Next time when you feel like cutting yourself pick up something else instead of a razor or knife.

It's good that your thinking of your mom but right now you need help and it takes a brave person to ask for it and believe me your mom wants you around until she dies and not the other way around. Please go and talk to your mom and if you can't or afraid write her a letter or get someone you trust to help you tell her.

Feb 11, 2009, 11:34 AM

I know cutting is wrong but I have to in a way... I'm afriad to go to far... last night I cut deeper than I ever wanted to... more blood appeared and I wanted to tell but I was afriad... I don't want her to call my dad and have him get involved... all the fighting at home is killing me inside and I want out but yet I don't... I can't leave my family behind... I'm stuck... I don't want to be selfish and hurt those I've love but I don't want to keep hurting myself... I'll try to tell her but...
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Feb 11, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable View Post
    I don't want her to call my dad and have him get involved...all the fighting at home is killing me inside and i want out but yet i don't...
    You need to sit her down for a heart to heart talk and share ALL of this with her. Be open and honest about your feelings and let her know you love her and need her help.

I don't want to be selfish and hurt those i've love
    You are being selfish by cutting yourself and not talking to your mother. It is not selfish to leave if she refuses to help you but you haven't even given her a chance. She deserves a chance. Stop being so mule-headed and talk to her.
    Ber
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Feb 11, 2009, 02:32 PM

How old are you now? You say you have been depressed since the 4th grade? I'm surprised that your mother is in the dark about this. Do you go around "faking it" most of the time like everything is all right? You need to get to a Dr. ASAP because you do not have to feel this way. I, like you had been depressed most all my life. I finally went to a therapist. I was telling her that when I look at a family photo album, what I remember from each picture is that "I was depressed that day". When you can say that about most all your days, you have a chemical problem. It is called dysthymia. I AM NOT here to diagnose you, I am just telling you what my diagnosis was. After I got on zoloft, the fog lifted. I've been on it for about 10 years now. I've tried going off but I fall back into that dark place. I'll probably be on it the rest of my life. The very same thing happened with my sister. Depression has a genetic component. DON'T cut yourself. Get to the bottom of why you are so depressed.
    GirlyGirl8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 02:50 PM
    I know exactly what you are going through. I use to to the same thing in High School. I even went as far as slicing my arm open revealing tissue inside, and having to give myself stitches. Cutting is a way young people deal with there stress because it releases endorphins with the pain. The best way to deal with it, is to substitute in something of equivalence. For me it was exercise, and I lost 90 pounds, it was like losing 90 pounds of stress. I never told my mom, but I wish I had, she will be able to help you emotionally, and it would be the best thing for you. You have to think about you. Try to think about how she would feel if you didn't tell her, and she finds about it down the road... trust me she will. It is the best thing for everyone if you tell her! Remember there are people that love you, and nobody wants to see you hurt yourself.

Feb 12, 2009, 11:15 AM

I'm currently 15 years old...
    zworriedmom2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 11:06 PM
    Tell your mom, my daughter is going through the same thing and she does not want to admit she is doing it but I found letters she wrote saying she cuts. I wish she would tell me and or admit she cuts and then I could try to help her. So please tell your Mom even if she has other things going on she would want to know. I wish my daughter would just come out and tell me and admit to it. You would do your Mom a favor by being honest and letting her know you feelings. Take the chance you will see it was worth it, I wish you all the best.
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Feb 16, 2009, 01:55 AM

I didn't know cutting released endorphins. I thought people that "cut" did it because they would rather feel the physical pain which overrides the emotional pain.

Please get help. Tell someone. Anyone. School counselor, teacher, friends mother. I wish you'd tell your mother little darling but please tell someone. I never cut myself but I was in your shoes at your age as far as a divorce/fighting going on, etc. It can be very traumatic but there is help for you. You can feel better. You have your whole life ahead of you!
    Reicheru-006 Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Feb 16, 2009, 04:51 PM

I'm fighting depression and cutting myself too... and I don't know if this is the best advice but I just kept it to myself and went on the internet for help instead of my mom. Give TWLOHA a call if you think this is really getting bad. They can help. They're good people and they've helped tons of others like you. Trust me I've called them a few times

Here's a quote:

"The vision is hope, and hope is real.

You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story."

Feb 18, 2009, 11:08 AM

What's... TWLOHA?
    I want to write more but the depression is hitting me really hard today and I feel so so very tired and I really want to crawl into a corner and cry.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Feb 18, 2009, 12:21 PM
    whats...TWLOHA?
    I want to write more but the depression is hitting me really hard today and i feel so so very tired and I really want to crawl into a corner and cry.
    I did not know either so I googled it. Do that now. I'm praying for the relief of your pain. Cry and let it out. We are all cheering for you to get better. I've been in the debts of despair and you CAN improve. Hang in there. Hugs...
    Chin-Chee Posts: 51, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 08:20 AM
    whats...TWLOHA?
    I want to write more but the depression is hitting me really hard today and i feel so so very tired and I really want to crawl into a corner and cry.
    It means:

To write love on her arms. It is for suicide/cutting/depression etc...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think I'm depressed [ 8 Answers ]

All of my friends changed and they don't talk to me anymore so at school every day at recess and lunch I sit alone. And my boyfriend doesn't seem to care about me anymore, I think he is cheating on me because someone told me, I have started to think about how useless I am and how all of this is...

Do you think I am depressed? Should I see someone about this? [ 12 Answers ]

well. I think I might be depressed. I don't know. I have felt like this for quite a while now. I've been feeling very "alone" lately. I started feeling this way towards the end of April and into may. I feel almost disconnected from everyone else. I feel like my friends are slipping from me and that...

I might be depressed [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently had a run of bad luck, my 16 yr old was in lotz of trouble and I have had 2 DUI's in 2 1/2 years, 4 deaths in the family, and maybe I have cancer and my boyfriend left me. I want to know what I can do to try to get out of the depression I think I'm getting onto:confused:

I'm really depressed [ 9 Answers ]

I have had depression on and off since I was about 15.. when I was a teenager I was diagnosed with manic depression and was prescribed to 3 prozacs a day. It really helped me for a long time and eventually I stopped taking them. Every once in a while I would feel sad and depressed and cut myself. I...

Depressed mom [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I have been married for 4 years and has 2 beautiful children. After giving birth to my 2 kids,I have this big tummy and my butt becomes flat that I'm so shy of wearing fit pants. What will I do to have a lage butt and flat tummy. Help me please.:o

View more questions Search