Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandraf46 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 11:07 PM
    Moon axis
    Does the moon rotate on an axis like the earth?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2009, 07:44 AM

Yes, this is why we only see one side of the moon - it rotates at the same rate as it orbits.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 25, 2009, 07:36 AM
    The moon rotates around it's own axis while it orbits planet earth.
    The moon's rotation is "in synch" with the orbit around earth (1 rotation during 1 orbit).
    That is why we see only one side of the moon from earth.

It is interesting to note that although the moon orbits planet earth , planet earth also wobbles around their common path (called "barycenter") around the sun.

Link to barycenter animation earth-moon path around the sun.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find vertex, axis, focus, p, directrix of conic equation [ 8 Answers ]

-4(y+2) = (x-3)^2 I need help finding the vertex, axis, p, focus, and directrix. I'm so blanked out.I cannot remember anything.

Creating a Chart in Excel by including values in X and why Axis [ 2 Answers ]

1) I want to create a chart using the data in my excel sheet. 2) Data in Row 1 should become the x-axis labels in a chart and data in Row 2 should be the y-axis labels and the only data range actually in the chart. 3) When I highlight data in Rows 1 and 2 then click on Chart Wizard both data ...

Link excel graph why axis min/max scale to cells [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , Thank you for allowing me to even ask a question. I hope I can make this simple and clear as to not confuse you. I am currently building an excel file. I will have 2 graphs on a sheet. One of the graphs I need to link the Y axis minimum and maximum scale, (and major unit if possible)...

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

View more questions Search