Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pm97504 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Close out IRA
    Is there a penalty for closing out an IRA under $5,000
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Yes. 10 percent of the total. The size of the fund makes no difference. In addition, you will have to pay state and federal income tax on the funds you withdraw.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2009, 02:29 PM

If your withdrawing from your IRA's, then there is no penalty from the IRS or the institution.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 04:03 PM

Hopefully this will clarify it for you:

If you are under 59-1/2 years of age you will have to pay a 10% early withdrawal penalty unless the withdrawal qualifies for one of the following exceptions:

•You have unreimbursed medical expenses that are more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.
    •The distributions are not more than the cost of your medical insurance.
    •You are disabled.
    •You are the beneficiary of a deceased IRA owner.
    •You are receiving distributions in the form of an annuity.
    •The distributions are not more than your qualified higher education expenses.
    •You use the distributions to buy, build, or rebuild a first home.
    •The distribution is due to an IRS levy of the qualified plan.
    •The distribution is a qualified reservist distribution.

In addition you have to pay income taxes on the withdrawal unless it's a withdrawal from a Roth IRA and you meet the reqiurement for minimal length of investment. If it's a traditional or rollover IRA account, then you have to include the amount of the withdrawal attributable to your pretax contributions and earnings as income. If you have any post-tax contributions (due to any non-tax deductible contributions you may have made) then a portion of the withdrawal will not be taxed. At the end of the tax year your IRA custodian will send you a 1099-R form that will show how much of the distribution is taxable, and also whether it qualifies for an exemption from the 10% early withdrawal penalty.
    tony1235 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 06:53 AM
    Need to close ira to pay mortgage not working is there tax
    tony1235 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 06:59 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Is there no penalty on I am not working and need to pay mortgage
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Nov 21, 2010, 09:01 AM

Did you not read what ebaines wrote? Excellent and correct information was given if you would read it. Stop posting the same question over and over again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Close to sex. [ 31 Answers ]

I'm so close to having sex with my boyfriend... I know we are young, but it feels right, I know there are consequences, but I really don't care, I want to do this, and I know I am ready, I know everyone will argue against me, but I feel so right about this. We have places and times planned, but...

Guy, Way Too Close! [ 8 Answers ]

I've known this guy for a couple of months now but I don't know him that much. We've only had a few conversations. The thing is that whenever he talks to me, he comes really close too me. Really close, you know when you feel someone's invading your personal space. That's it. Why is he "acting"...

So Close and Yet So Far! [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, this is a first for me. So, bare with me please. I'm 25 and I have yet to have an orgasm. I know that I'm so close though. That is the worst part. I've tried everything and I do what gets me to the point that I'm about to come and then... I stop. The sensation is so overwhelming that I...

So far yet so close [ 6 Answers ]

My boy friend and I have been going out for about 2 years now... I met him online playing a game of pool. He lives in australia and I live in canada. He flew over to meet me face to face and we've been going steady since then... he just recently proposed to me. But when we spend like a week...

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

View more questions Search