Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jan 22, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Is scientology healthy?
    I've heard that there are various celeborties who are tied with *** edited*** scientology. Then I found some really unpleasant YouTube vids/ with reffrences to various articles questioning the validity of this *** edited ***

So, does this help people or does it brain wash them in the hopes of gaining finaces, or other wise?

I haven't read up on it yet, but so far I'm a little sceptical of their doings. But to be fair, I do need to read more about it.

Ok peace be with you.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2009, 08:18 PM

So you came to this board and trash scientology in your question, and you don't know anything much about it!

Lol
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 08:23 PM
    I don't know much about scientology either, it's not a religion I'm interested in. If you want to further your knowledge on this religion then do some research, I'm sure there's lots of info on the internet, libraries and other places.

Heck, maybe someone on this site is a practicing scientologist and will explain their religion to you further.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 08:42 PM

Post has been edited, as noted on other religion boards we are not here to attack any faith of others.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 08:46 PM

First, read Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2009, 08:55 PM

Everyone must decide for them self what they deem* healthy *or not when it comes to a religion.

Of course you will get different opinions but they are only that.

Clearly,for some people this is a religion that works. I admire the Travolta family and they are Scientologists and so I investigated it and found it not for me but that does not mean it isn't for someone else.

For every person who supports a religion or cause you will find someone who opposes it. Arm yourself with knowledge and then you can make an accurate and informed decision.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 09:03 PM

Yes I would love to hear more about the "faith" or religion, sorry don't know proper term.

I don't believe we have had a good discussion of them before
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 09:07 PM

It seems that many people follow this belief, it would be great if someone on the board was a practicing scientologist and came to tell us more.

I don't like to rely on Google for info, but it's not a bad place to start. Sadly, you have to find a reliable web site, most of them have too much misinformation.

Jan 24, 2009, 09:42 PM

Well, thank you to all, I agree, the web is rather fickled, in that is is not offten with out biase.

I've bin reading on it and I'm totally lost, it sounds like christianity, but not... When I've got more info I'll post it.

Thanks again for the wisdom and advice.

Peace be with you.
    nike 1 Posts: 167, Reputation: 16
    -

Jan 24, 2009, 10:19 PM
    Scientology is a study to clear oneself of limiting behavoirs. While most religions focus on telling you something is wrong or sinful, scientology studies the deeper pyschological behaviors and its origins to give people a better understanding of themselves. When studying the core of ones own issues, it becomes easier to overcome limiting or sinful behaviours to enhance ones own life. Scientology does not tell you what God or other deity to worship. It encourages a stronger path for whatever you choose.

Jan 25, 2009, 12:13 AM

Science, as it is defined in the Gage Canadian Dictionary: "Knowlege of general facts, laws and relationships that is obtained through systematic observation and experiment, especially as applied to the physical world and the phenomena associated with it..."

Ology: "any science or branch of knoledge."

"Scientology: The study of truth." - Scientology - Church of Scientology Official Site (all refferences are from this site, unless refferenced other wise.)

I'm not going to paraphrase simply because, I'm lazy, ;)

"Scientology is the study and handling of the spirit in relationship to itself, others and all of life. The Scientology religion comprises a body of knowledge extending from certain fundamental truths. Prime among these:

Man is an immortal, spiritual being. His experience extends well beyond a single lifetime. His capabilities are unlimited, even if not presently realized — and those capabilities can be realized. He is able to not only solve his own problems, accomplish his goals and gain lasting happiness, but also achieve new, higher states of awareness and ability.

In Scientology no one is asked to accept anything as belief or on faith. That which is true for you is what you have observed to be true. An individual discovers for himself that Scientology works by personally applying its principles and observing or experiencing results.

Through Scientology, people all over the world are achieving the long-sought goal of true spiritual release and freedom."

"The Scientology Religion
    If things were a little better known and understood, L. Ron Hubbard declared, we would all lead happier lives — and nothing better underscores those words than Scientology itself.

At this dawning of the twenty-first century, scientific and technological advances have far outdistanced the humanities. Yet while those advances have provided the technology to explore the surface of a planet 200 million miles away, or map the blueprint of a body, they have not solved the human misery that pervades whole countries, nor the scourge of drugs that ruins millions of lives daily. Instead, they have spawned weapons of such magnitude that could destroy the entire planet in moments. And in the midst of all of this, Man's age-old questions go unanswered: Who am I? Where do I come from? And why am I here?

But Scientology, born in the crucible of the technological age and developed with the same scientific methodologies of research, has the answers to those ancient questions, real answers that work. While founded in the tradition of the world's great religions, it is the first practical religion. Firmly based on fundamental principles, precision axioms and basic laws of human behavior, here are the means for Man to know himself and, in knowing himself, to know and understand others and, ultimately, life itself."

"The Scientology Religion
    Scientology holds in common many beliefs of other religions and philosophies. It considers Man to be a spiritual being, not just flesh and blood a very different view to that held by common scientific thought which views Man as only a material object, a complex combination of chemical compounds and stimulus-response mechanisms.

Scientology believes Man is basically good, not evil. Man's experiences have led him to commit evil deeds, not his nature. Often, he mistakenly seeks to solve his problems by considering his own interests only, causing trouble for both himself and others.

Scientology believes that one advances to the degree he preserves his spiritual integrity and values and remains honest and decent. Conversely, one deteriorates to the degree he abandons those qualities. While other efforts to help Man have tried to solve problems for him, Scientology is different. For it believes that an individual placed in a position where he can increase his abilities and confront and identify the factors in his life more easily, is also able to solve his own problems and so better his life.

Life tends to force the individual into certain values. The stresses of existence can fixate attention to the point that one's awareness of self and the environment is greatly diminished. Accompanying this are problems, difficulties with others, illness and unhappiness."

"The goal of Scientology is to reverse this diminishing awareness, and in that sense, wake the individual up. As one becomes more and more alert, his abilities increase and he is capable of greater understanding and thus better able to handle life.

Scientology, then, contains solutions to the problems of living, all to the result of increased awareness and spiritual freedom for the individual and rehabilitation of his basic decency, power and ability. These results are accomplished routinely, daily, all over the world.

A testament to the workability of Scientology is the fact that in less than two generations, this practical religion is flourishing on every continent, with thousands of churches, missions and groups touching the lives of millions every day and in every walk of life.

Scientologists, ever involved in the world around them, naturally share with others what they have learned. And others, realizing the relevance of Scientology to their lives, become interested in what it can offer them. So Scientology grows, as every great religion in history has grown, from individual to individual — bringing knowledge, wisdom and hope for a better life.

Today, with Scientology, millions know that life can be a worthwhile proposition, that one can live a fulfilled existence in harmony with others and that the world can be a happier place. Scientologists work to create such every day, joined by those who share the dream to create a better world."

So there is more but meh, it's too long, if you want to know more look at the site. My take, it speaks of roses and love but feels of obscurity, and Darkness. I do have reasons, but, I'll let you all watch some things from YouTube, and decide for yourself. (yes I know YouTube is not a relyable source of info, so do your background checks.)

YouTube - Tom Cruise Scientology Video - ( Original UNCUT ) ---> Tom Cruise

YouTube - Some crazy scientology stuff --> secrets of scientology

YouTube - The Un-Funny TRUTH about Scientology --> (WARNING, this vid has some graphic footage. I don't know yet if any of it is valid. Or fabricated.)

YouTube - Scientology 101 --> CNN news.

YouTube - What is Scientology? --> Scientology..? (What about women? )

Well, I get the idea that there is a snake in the grass, and they use a lot of affirmation, and Mind altering means to achieve what they call "Truth", and to be fair, one's truth is indeed that, their own.

Take care every one, and take it as you will, but beware those who promise you what you already have.

Peace be with you.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2009, 04:09 AM
    Want to become a scientologist? You better be ready to part with most of your money and become estranged from your family.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Want to become a scientologist? You better be ready to part with most of your money and become estranged from your family.
    The Church of Scientology was started by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard to "clear" people of unhappiness. There are a number of spiritual levels that must be achieved. Each processing step is 12.5 hours. Fifteen years ago the (conservative) total cost for the whole bridge to OT9 readiness was estimated at $365,000 - $380,000. Here's a table showing that Scientology students begin at -34 and work their way up the scale to achieve happiness and total freedom at +21 (from Church Of Scientology: Money cost of Membership: $380,000 !!!) --

Total Freedom
    Power on all 8 dynamics
    21 = Source
    20 = Existence
    19 = Conditions
    18 = Realization
    17 = Clearing
    16 = Purposes
    15 = Ability
    14 = Correction
    13 = Result
    12 = Production
    11 = Activity
    10 = Prediction
    9 = Body
    8 = Adjustment
    7 = Energy
    6 = Enlightment
    5 = Understandings
    4 = Orientation
    3 = Perception
    2 = Communication
    1 = Recognition
    -1 = Help
    -2 = Hope
    -3 = Demand for improvement
    -4 = Need for change
    -5 = Fear for worsening
    -6 = Effect
    -7 = Ruin
    -8 = Despair
    -9 = Suffering
    -10 = Numbness
    -11 = Introversion
    -12 = Disaster
    -13 = Inactuality
    -14 = Delusion
    -15 = Hysteria
    -16 = Shock
    -17 = Catatonia
    -18 = Oblivion
    -19 = Detachment
    -20 = Duality
    -21 = Secrecy
    -22 = Hallucination
    -23 = Sadism
    -24 = Masochism
    -25 = Elation
    -26 = Glee
    -27 = Fixidity
    -28 = Erosion
    -29 = Dispersal
    -30 = Disassociation
    -31 = Criminality
    -32 = Uncausing
    -33 = Disconnection
    -34 = Unexistence
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 07:36 PM

It is difficult to give s simple overview of the religion (or in my opinion more accurately, a business). I have studied/researched the religion, and have spoken on it, so if there is anyone who has specific question or has a family member considering getting involved, feel free to contact me.

In the meantime, these are two websites which have good information.

XENU TV - Exposing Scientology Through Streaming Video

Scientology associated deaths
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 25, 2009, 07:47 PM

Scientology doesn't brainwash people any more than any other "religion" does.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Try this website also:

Ex-Scientology Kids

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scientology *what [ 7 Answers ]

What is scientology?

Fit and healthy [ 1 Answers ]

Explain why the amount of gas exchanged is smaller in a damaged air sac

Curious about Scientology [ 3 Answers ]

Listen to Tom Cruise talk about it, clearly and concisely: UndeleTube - aka... i want to see that deleted video again!

What is more healthy for dog to eat? [ 12 Answers ]

I just watched a documentry on dried dog food, and I'm shocked! Do you know how much processed garbage goes into the food, they get the worst picks of the food, rotton fruit and veggies, end pieces of meat, anything they can't sell for meat goes to pet food. How can people say pet food is...

Is there any healthy gum? [ 2 Answers ]

I chew a lot of gum, and I don't mind that. I think that if I keep it up though, I'll develop cavities. I was just wondering if there I an alternative gum that does not contain as much sugar. Because I still want to a lot of gum, but just not Bubblicious. Here's how sugar that's in one piece...

View more questions Search