Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cecilia yatmaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 04:40 PM
    Calorie intake
    Is it safe for me totake 500 calories per day to loss weight quick
    Cedric J Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 01:08 PM

No don't starve yourself to lose weight... it's a horrible way to do it. In the end, it will only make it worse.

If you want to lose weight fast and keep it off permanently, you have to make a few lifestyle changes. Not eating isn't one of them.

Download this free weight loss guide if you need more detailed information.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 10:14 AM

No, you'll lose muscle and water and risk damaging your internal organs. And as soon as you start eating normally again, you'll put it back on.

Eat real food in decent amounts. Don't eat fake food with lots of sugar instead of fat, or sugar alcohals instead of sugar. Eggs, oily fish, fresh meal, lots and lots of vegetables, some dairy, nuts, olive oil, fruit, wholegrains. No sugar, white flour or transfats. If it's got ingredients you can't pronounce, give it a miss.

Eat when you are hungry. Eat good quality food. Don't do anything else (turn off TV etc). Eat slowly. Really enjoy your food. Stop when you've had enough. Your body knows how much you need to eat, just learn to listen to it.
    ajt86 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 07:44 PM

NO NO NO NO NO!

Women should never restrict calories to fewer than 1200 per day! If you restrict that severely you will do yourself serious damage internally and destroy your metabolism. Your body will go into "starvation mode" which means it will stop burning a whole lot of calories and your metabolism will slow to a crawl. You won't lose a whole lot of weight after the first 2-3 weeks and as soon as you start eating normally again you will probably gain weight. Believe me, I've been self-destructive before.

I like Eileen's post above. Keep it smart, darling. Eat plenty of whole grains and vegetables and fruits. Keep your activity level high (hey, you can't not eat, but there's no law against exercising! Just don't over-train and hurt yourself.) Burning 700 more calories will create the same deficit as eating 700 less.

Please don't hurt yourself.
    Be healthy,
    Anne
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 09:15 PM

500 calories a day is pretty much eating about 4 apples a day.

There's absolutely no way you can function that way.

Will you lose weight? Sure. It's about as safe as losing weight by contracting dysentery and malaria.

If you want to lose weight and want the weight to stay off, do it in a much healthier manner. Eat right and exercise.
    NJExit9 Posts: 31, Reputation: -1

Mar 7, 2009, 09:39 PM

Hellz no way that's incredibly unhealthy. You will certainly get dizzy and blood sugar will bottom out. You won't even lose fat at all. Just water weight and then a couple weeks later, your metabolism will slow down to nothing because your body will think its in danger of starving and adjust dramatically. THEN you will give up because not seeing any progress and end up BINGING and putting whatever say 10 pounds back on PLUS another 5
    Dellamortia Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Apr 13, 2011, 07:52 AM
    First of all, DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF. Your body will eventually go into starvation mode and start storing all the fat it can, and you will gain everything back, plus some. I would like to suggest the lifestyle change that my boyfriend and I made recently. We have both been losing a lot of weight consistently and neither of us is dieting. We never feel hungry, either, which is really important.

1. Eat as many whole foods as possible. Avoid packaged food as much as you can. Stick to meats, cheese, nuts, vegetables, and fruit. Do not limit how much you eat, just what you eat. I was afraid this course would be too expensive, but you would be surprised how economical it can be. I also add one glass of green tea in the morning.

2. Try to consume only whole grains and limit white breads, white rice, white tortillas, and regular potatoes. If you love some of these things, by all means, eat them, just try to eat less and fill up on the meat and veggies instead. Stick to oats, whole wheat breads, etc. There are varieties out there that actually taste good, it's just a matter of finding them. The more fiber the better.

3. Only eat sugar one day a week. I am an avid sweet tooth, so this was really hard for me, but I have been surprised at how well it works. On your sugar day, eat whatever you want. Go crazy. I actually get excited now thinking about what I am going to eat on my free day. Now, I understand that there will be times when someone shows up with donuts, cookies, cake, etc. and it won't be your sugar day. In that case, don't feel bad, eat one cookie or a very small piece of cake. Eat it slow, savor every bite, then move on and wait for your sugar day. Also, keep some apples or oranges on the counter, and when you really want something sweet, eat one. Eventually, I found that I preferred the fruit to the sweets, even on my free day.

4. There is a great website that I started using to get the ball rolling. I had no idea how to begin, because I was so used to eating quick, packaged meals. The site is modernmenus.com. The nutritionist gives you 5 meals per week and there are plenty of leftovers after. If you are struggling with eating right, it may help. The best part, it's totally free and you don't even have to register on the site.

Eating this way offered me other benefits that never would have expected, too. My mood changed and I have become a lot more laid back and happy, and I have a lot more energy. I hope this is helpful and you can use some of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calorie intake [ 6 Answers ]

What is the safest but the least amount of calories you should have daily. I have been cutting down my calorie intake to about 500 to 700 calorie for the last couple days. Im not sure if I should be eatting more but 1000 calories seems like a lot -- and I'm trying to lose weight. Anyhelp would be...

Calorie Counter? [ 3 Answers ]

Do you know where I can look for a comprehensive list of food items and the number of calories they represent. I Know my max - just need to know when I reach it.:)

What should my calorie intake be-in order to lose weight for my height? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 5'2" and I recal a certain formula for calculating calorie intake FOR weight loss. I know it starts with : what is your goal weight (x) energy output = calories needed (to achieve goal. Does anyone know this formula? I really would love to know because I don't know how much I should...

Calorie Chart [ 1 Answers ]

Sir, I am confused with my daily calorie intake. I am 5'4" tall weighing about 74 Kg. Please suggest me with a calorie chart and exercises. Thank you,

Calorie counting [ 1 Answers ]

This might be a silly question but you won't know unless you ask,too count calories do you add up calories+calories from fat+carbs+sodium... this always puzzled me.Or do you add everything that stores fat from the nutrient fact chart?

View more questions Search