Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hynjad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 03:14 PM
    2009 H1 visa.
    Hi All,

My name is hynjad. I am from India working with a hotel in Virginia. I came here on J1 visa.I have a person who I think can sponsor for my H1 visa in the hotels.
    I wanted to know are there any pre-requirements from people applying for this visa from the hotel industry?
    What is the last date for filling in papers for 2009?

Please answer me soon, I am running out of time.

Regards,
    hynjad.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 03:17 PM

Application must be submitted on April 1, 2009, one day only.

In your case you need to find out if you are subject to 2 year rules or not, and your employer needs to get approval from Department of Labor before you submit your application.
    dabasebe Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 12:23 PM

Hi,

I'm in the same situation as you. I had a J1 last year (2007-2008) in NY, also in a hotel. The hotel was ready to sponsor me for the H1b, so we tried but I didn't get it unfortunately. You must know that for the H1B, there are 3 requirements: you must have a sponsor (the processus is much more complex than for the J1, and a lot more expensive for your sponsor), you have to be a manager, and you have to receive the minimum wage. If those requirements apply, then you can try the visa. I think the latest to apply is in April, but I'm not sure. Anyway, you have to take a lawyer, it's going to cost you $2000 for the lawyer and around $2000-3000 more to pay to the government. First, there is a lottery because there are too many requests. So, if you don't pass the lottery, you will loose the $2000 but get a refund for the other part. If you do pass the lottery, then, it's up to your lawyer to prove that you are the one needed for the job (note that it's not guaranteed that your lawyer will win). What's not always easy in hotel business because government say that they don't need specialized people to work in hotels, they say they can just take anybody from the street and form them in a few days.
    So unfortunately, hotel business is not the easiest way to stay in the States.
    Did you study hotel management?
    I don't know if I'm going to try again for the H1B because it's so expensive with no guarantee at all!! And be careful, I have had bad experience with lawyers, they will tell you that all visas are possible to get, just to have your money!!
    For me, I don't know how I'm going to do now!
    Well, I hope I was helpful to you.
    Let me know what you decide!

Julie
    dabasebe Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 12:48 PM

Hi,

I'm in the same situation as you. I had a J1 last year (2007-2008) in NY, also in a hotel. The hotel was ready to sponsor me for the H1b, so we tried but I didn't get it unfortunately. You must know that for the H1B, there are 3 requirements: you must have a sponsor (the processus is much more complex than for the J1, and a lot more expensive for your sponsor), you have to be a manager, and you have to receive the minimum wage. If those requirements apply, then you can try the visa. I think the latest to apply is in April, but I'm not sure. Anyway, you have to take a lawyer, it's going to cost you $2000 for the lawyer and around $2000-3000 more to pay to the government. First, there is a lottery because there are too many requests. So, if you don't pass the lottery, you will loose the $2000 but get a refund for the other part. If you do pass the lottery, then, it's up to your lawyer to prove that you are the one needed for the job (note that it's not guaranteed that your lawyer will win). What's not always easy in hotel business because government say that they don't need specialized people to work in hotels, they say they can just take anybody from the street and form them in a few days.
    So unfortunately, hotel business is not the easiest way to stay in the States.
    Did you study hotel management?
    I don't know if I'm going to try again for the H1B because it's so expensive with no guarantee at all!! And be careful, I have had bad experience with lawyers, they will tell you that all visas are possible to get, just to have your money!!
    For me, I don't know how I'm going to do now!
    Well, I hope I was helpful to you.
    Let me know what you decide!

Julie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing H1 April 2009, finishing course work in May 2009 [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all, I am finishing my course work in May 2009. I am filing my H1 in April 2009. Can I file my H1 based on masters? What letter and what letter should stat to support my application? Please answer me as soon as possible. I will be thankful to you.

IPv6 in 2009 [ 1 Answers ]

Every since the proliferation of broadband connections (cable and DSL) to the Net started booming, the fate of IPv4 has been numbered. Every computer that connects directly to the Internet has to have a unique public IP address. And they are running out of numbers. In the days when connections...

Filing tax on H4 visa in 2009 [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in US for the past 4 years and have files tax jointly with my husband who is on H1 visa.In 2008 we couldn't receive economic stumulus because I didn't have an SSN.My question is... can I file tax next year separately or not file at all to avail the economic stimulus?

About H1 b 2009 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have just gor approval on 24th July for my H1 b pitition. I wanted to know what is the further procedure now?

Ash Wednesday 2009 [ 2 Answers ]

When is Ash Wednesday 2009

View more questions Search