Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whichway Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Contract signed by someone else but in my name. Binding?
    Hi all,

My mother took out a gym membership in my name as a Christmas gift. The contract is filled out in my name but signed by by mother. My mother has paid 11 months of the contract, but accidentally cancelled the direct debit one month early. The contract was completed and signed by my mother in front of the gym staff; she is clearly not a 20 year old male.
    I have received a letter from the gym's debt collection agency for nigh on £300, after speaking to the gym that was a mistake; it should have been £127.
    Does the gym have a contract with anyone? Is my mum a fraud? Were the gym entitled to take any direct debits (the previous 11) since there was no contract.

Please note I'm not just trying to get out of a contract; I just think the £300 demand was out of line.

Any advice would be massively appreciated.

James
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 12:45 PM

Welcome to AMHD. It sounds as though your mother has forged your signature, but she may have some explanation for this situation. I am curious about the direct debit: whose account? And who authorized the withdrawals?
    whichway Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    Welcome to AMHD. It sounds as though your mother has forged your signature, but she may have some explanation for this situation. I am curious about the direct debit: whose account? and who authorized the withdrawals?
    Mother authorised direct debit from her account.

She hasn't tried to copy my signature, it is her own signature.

That's my concern that it could be some form of fraud, although done with good intentions. In which case I'll just pay the £127.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties? [ 6 Answers ]

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties?

Is a lease binding if not signed by lessor but sign. Forged by her mom [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease in Florida that I need to break. The lessor did not sign it but her 80yr old mom signed her daughters name . Can she sue me for the remainder or can I just give her 30 days notice

Is contract binding [ 5 Answers ]

Have signed contract to purchase house. Have given earnest money. Have not had home inspection or received papers from lender yet. Am I legally bound to purchase house or can I back out. I live in Ohio

Mortgage Contract Binding? [ 3 Answers ]

My Mortgage broker contacted World Savings for a equity or re-finance loan on my home of 27 years in Sarasota. FL. I received in the mail 2 sets of documents from World Savings on Jan. 11, 2007, of the same. One said your Loan Documents... sign and return with a pre-paid envelope. Loan amount of...

Legal binding on new house contract [ 3 Answers ]

I recently signed papers to purchase a house (35 days ago) but just found out I was misinformed about the loan. I was misled and lied to about the loan contract. What I signed for is not how they explained to me. They (mortgage broker and titlle agency) intentionally gave me false information to...

View more questions Search