Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singla_nrj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Acid name in Tobacco
    What is the name of the acid which is present in tobacco?
    And what will happen if we put calcium hydroxide in tobacco (calcium hydroxide being a base and acid in tobacco)?
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Jan 22, 2009, 10:13 AM
    I think it's phosphoric acid or one of its derivatives. I don't think you're referring to "nicotinic acid" that is more commonly known as niacin.

If you add a base, it will absorb the acid if there is a mechanism for the reaction to occur (there often is). However, acids make up a significant part of the taste of many substances (not sure about tobacco since I don't smoke). Acids make things taste sour. Remember that the tongue only senses salty, sweet, sour, and bitter. A slight sour taste might be desirable. If you removed the acid, it might make it taste too flat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Amazed With Results! Glycolic Acid and Kojic Acid [ 22 Answers ]

Hello, I have wriiten some posts before on this subject. I got three emails from people I supplied my information with. There are two products you need to get for hand and face. One is glycolic acid cream (10%) also kojic acid. The Kojic acid can be founf in Palmers Skin Success Section. It will...

On tobacco, booze, and pot [ 23 Answers ]

Oh, boy--ex is going to love me for this one... :cool: I was thinking over the weekend about the differences between tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana. Oddly enough, I was doing so while on my back patio enjoying a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, a chew of Levi Garrett, and listening to Willie Nelson's...

Quitting tobacco [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, one of my friend was addicted of chewing tobacco from last 10 years, one day he got pain so he leave his habit after leaving tobacco he got ulcer in whole mouth tongue and throat, doctor told him it's a withdrawl effect but that after taking medicine all ulcers decreasing day by day. But at...

Smoking tobacco [ 6 Answers ]

I have recently quit smoking cigarettes & as all you smokers will know, its very difficult. So in order to try make it a little easier, I have been smoking tobacco out of a hubbly at home. Its not as satisfying, but it helps. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some good flavours? I have tried a...

View more questions Search