Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandyczall Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2006, 01:12 PM
    Get IP Addresses
    Is there anyway to get someone's IP address? I am having problems with two separate people and want to block them fro mentering my website.

After learning how to get IP addresses. Then I need to learn how to use them to block the people from accessing my site.

Help!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2006, 03:47 AM
    If you've received an email from either of them you can get the IP from the header of the emails.

With the host I use, they have a feature in cPanel called IP Deny Manager, where you can enter IP addresses, or even ranges of them, to be blocked.

You can also block IP addresses by editing your .htaccess file, as described here: http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/ind...?topic=28315.0

Are you just trying to stop them from seeing your site, or is it that they're "interacting" bad... like misbehaving on a forum or chatroom or guestbook? If any of the above is the case, then your software for the forum, chatroom, guestbook etc. should be recording IPs.
    Sandyczall Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2006, 03:52 AM
    I want to block them from even seeing my site. Even though I have right click disabled the pictures.. they are stealing them and posting them elsewhere on the internet.

Ummm.. by the way.. where is the .htaccess file... or the cpanel whatever. I am using Freewebs... don't know if they have any of that. I downloaded some kind of code from extremetracker but have not embedded the code... too scared!! Will try to get these people to email me.. Sigh* don't know if it will work.. dont partik like these people!
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2006, 04:03 AM
    Yes, eager and knowledgeable people can get around the disabled right click to get pics. For the purpose you describe, your best bet is to watermark the pics... which is very easy with even lower level photo editing software.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2006, 04:08 AM
    Oops, I was typing while you added the 2nd note.

It is not likely that you can access the .htaccess file with Freewebs.

Here's something to consider: With typical web Hosts (not the freebies) you'll pay only about $100 a year for hosting and the domain, and most of them come with very decent web building software and templates if you don't have the software yourself (like Dreamweaver, FrontPage, etc.)

Once you've got a "real" website, then you've got scads of tools and options that you just can't get with a freebie.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2006, 04:24 AM
    Just to back up what Rick said:

On Freewebs (or any other free web space provider) I think the only thing you can do is to add a watermark to your pictures.

If you had your own site, you can use something called "Hotlink Protection". This will mean that if a picture is posted on a website that isn't one you OK'ed, the picture won't load. This can be down with one or two clicks with a lot of web hosts.

Quick question - have you asked these people to stop posting your pictures? You seem to know who they are. Maybe a polite "please stop" will do the job.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Are your photos copyrighted? If not, then you should explore doing so. You can go to www.loc.gov for info on how to copyright your work.

If they are copyrighted, any website that posts your pics can be sued for using the material without permission. You might get an attorney to draw up a standard cease and desist letter that you can send whenever you find your pics being misused.
    lammcspicy Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Yes, eager and knowledgable people can get around the disabled right click to get pics. For the purpose you describe, your best bet is to watermark the pics...which is very easy with even lower level photo editing software.
    Eager and knowledable people ? Your kidding, right ? A quick search on the www finds answers, its even easier if you use Firefox :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Email addresses [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anyway to search for an email address for people you know?

Mac and Ip addresses [ 9 Answers ]

Hi guys it would be great if some one can clear my doubt my question is first of all I would like to know something about mac addresses and can we have 2 mac addresses and 2 ip adresses for a single computer if its possible can you guys please tell me how to do it... thnx a lot:)

Investments - Web addresses? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I'm looking for a website that gives details on top savings returns on, lets say, deposit accounts. I'm located in Dublin, but most probably be moving to Minnesota (St Paul) next year, and wanted to look at banks providing good returns on deposits. Also, does anyone know what the rate of...

Seeing IP addresses [ 5 Answers ]

Man I would love to have the ability to see IPs in every post for just a week. That way we'd know who has several monikers and how they use them. That would settle a few pet theories I have.

URL addresses [ 2 Answers ]

How does one find out the (numerical) URL or IP address of a particular website or e-mail address? Thanks much, John Mackenzie

View more questions Search